Interview Apparel

Opinions?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

39 Replies - 5704 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Poll: Apparel? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you wear?

1. Suit always (8 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. 1 step above the workforce standard (12 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Interview Apparel

Post icon  Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:22 PM

I've generally always been one that believes interview apparel should be one step in formality above what is standard in the work place. In the past year I've basically be convinced by a friend and fellow tech industry person that a suit is basically the only interview clothing that is appropriate. What do you guys follow? If you work in the banking tech sector a suit would clearly be the only option as the work setting typically, at a minimum requires a button up and slacks. How about a more casual work place that wears jeans/khakis and a polo for typical work wear?

I've done the suit up routine for the duration of my technology career entrance with mixed results. I feel awkward in a suit sitting in front of an interviewer (the lead in my possible department) wearing jeans and a polo. Not that it affects my answers but it seems out of place, am I misguided by my instincts or my friend? What is correct? I recently read an article that says a suit is entirely out of place in an entry level tech interview. Sounds odd to the ears but...

This is primarily aimed at non-managerial 1-5 year positions. I'm personally entry level and target casual shops. I never have been one for formalities. Examples would help given your personal experiences, especially from those that sit in on hiring decisions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Interview Apparel

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interview Apparel

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

I always err on the side of conservatism (i.e. a suit), unless the company/or whoever specifically says something else (i.e. business casual).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

I have a knock-off tie that I bought in NYC that I have warn to pretty much every interview I've been on, along with the same plain white dress shirt, really really nice dress pants, & my best dress shoes. Same for internal interviews for promotions & what not within the company. Even once I started my business I ware these items when I meet with new companies & clients. For what I've interviewed for in the past I would never, ever ware jeans. I think it's important to show that you spent the time to make yourself look great for them, & not just happened to wake up on time & stroll in barely making it on time.

My philosophy, you've only got one 1st chance. Never fear over-doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

Ok, sweet, getting good feedback. This comes up as I am interviewing at a hospital IT department which according to people that work in this location typically is a jeans and polo place. I interviewed in a top pharma company last year and my potential department lead was wearing a worn out polo and jeans that appeared to be earning their distressed look...and not through dollars.

It really does leave me bedazzled that I'm decked out for an interview where no one involved in my hiring is wearing anything above street wear (for me) considering these are top tier industry companies. I interviewed forr a very leading edge tech govt agency and they explicitly declared biz casual as the interview dress code. This lined up with my predisposed "1 step above" principle but as a former govt employee know their rules can be bat !@#* crazy....

I think this is a topic that could use some expansion as there seems to be a lot of varying ideologies on the topic. Shame is that it cant be captured in a simple poll.

This post has been edited by SpeedisaVirus: 09 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Unless they do a lot of client interaction, why not wear jeans and a polo to work? Who wants to sit on their ass all day programming in a suit? You'd need a serious investment in Gold Bond powder.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

I always dress in college attire. Most of the jobs I interview for are technician jobs, so I think that fits well. I do need to step it up a notch. I think a suit would be great. not that I have the money right now to buy a new one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

I don't know of anyone that shows up to a job interview in a suit these days. I'm sure there are people that do it but its a rarity. I guess it depends on where you're from and the culture that is there. Here, casual is the norm. It's not uncommon for people to be wearing flip flops to interviews even with big companies. I would just keep it casual and be yourself. I hate people who come in overly dressed for an interview and act all professional when you know that's not how they're going to be once they're on the job. I would prefer to know the people I'm hiring the way they are.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

I dont wear a suit but I'll put on a pair of ironed slacks, ironed dress shirt and a tie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

View PostSethro117, on 09 June 2010 - 09:10 PM, said:

I dont wear a suit but I'll put on a pair of ironed slacks, ironed dress shirt and a tie.

Ironed undies.

:)

edit: has anyone every gone to an image consultant before going for an interview?
Maybe that's just a hollywood thing..

This post has been edited by calvinthedestroyer: 09 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

At work I wear Jeans/Polo usually.

Typical dress for most of the jobs I worked were Khaki's & Polo.

I usually dress 1 step above the norm or show up in Polo shirt/Khaki's
:dangole:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

I don't see how a Suit could hurt during an interview. I think it tells the interviewer that you are willing to go above & beyond for the company, and that you are committed to the job. I do agree with KYA, though; I don't want to be sitting in a desk coding for eight plus hours/day in a Suit and Tie. I would much rather wear jeans.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

i am so against that. maybe i am poor and can not buy a suit. appearance have nothing to do with how skilled some is. unfortunately HR department don`t care about that. i read in some magazine about the same thing. " How bad is to go to exam dress in suit. will that mean to the teacher that i am serious about his lecture or that i just try to show off ". the answer was clear. it is not necessary but it will make a good impression. it is the same thing about the interview not necessary (if not stated other wise) but it will make a good impression.

This post has been edited by NoBrain: 10 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

It depend on the job but for me a Suit & Tie is the safe option.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

Personally, I agree with you. I hate dressing up, and I avoid it like the bubonic plague. However, there are instances where this is a necessary evil. I feel that a job interview is one such instance. With my dad doing the hiring at the family business where most of the employees do blue collar labor, he tells me that if someone, even an applicant for a warehouse position, doesn't come in dressed nicely, he probably won't get the job. Right, wrong or indifferent, I can't see the more white collar jobs being more relaxed in these standards. If you don't want to go in to an interview dressed up, that's your choice. However, dressing up does make a positive impression on the HR people, which is a lot of what it's about. And I'd be willing to wager that if it came down between two equally qualified persons where the only difference was the attire they wore to the interview, my money would be on the guy who wore the suit, not the guy in the khakis and polo. Also, I don't see what the aversion is to sitting in an interview for maybe an hour in a suit. You can go home and change afterwards.

Even if you are dirt poor and homeless, there are places where you can get a cheap suit, like Goodwill or charities. I understand this is an indignity for many, but if it's between getting a job and supporting yourself/your family or remaining poor and homeless, I know which option I'd choose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

View Postnooblet, on 09 June 2010 - 09:06 PM, said:

I would just keep it casual and be yourself. I hate people who come in overly dressed for an interview and act all professional when you know that's not how they're going to be once they're on the job. I would prefer to know the people I'm hiring the way they are.

This...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +