10 Replies - 884 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2010 - 03:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Strange php error when viewing in browser

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Hey. dont know if this is normal, but I am working in dreamweaver. I have a page with a php extension. When i go to preview it in firefox through dreamweaver, it works fine. When I go to preview it in IE through firefox, no page pops up but a download dialog shows, asking me to open or save the php file. Is this a normal thing to happen?

cheers
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Strange php error when viewing in browser

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Strange php error when viewing in browser

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

When I go to preview it in IE through firefox

LOLWUT? What does that mean?

If it's attempting to download the file, your web server is not setup to serve PHP properly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm guessing you are previewing this locally, not from the server. When you say "works fine," do you mean "displays fine" or do you mean actually functions? I bet if you upload the file to the server and access the site from there, then it will work as you programmed it, assuming of course PHP is set up correctly on your server.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:59 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 10 June 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

When I go to preview it in IE through firefox

LOLWUT? What does that mean?

If it's attempting to download the file, your web server is not setup to serve PHP properly.

Although I doubt this is what he means, it is possible to use the IE engine inside Firefox via an add-on called IE Tab (IE Tab 2 if you're on 3.6 or higher).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:29 AM

Yeah, it works fine when i place it on my server, its only locally where it is asking me to download it. Very strange. When I get home later, I will post an even stranger problem. Having some serious issues but only with some computers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ???
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:09 AM

It seems you haven't set up your server on your local machine. If you want to configure your local server, then give more details like operating system you are using, if you have installed a web server or not etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

I actually removed my local server last week to free up some space on my laptop. I just use my virtual server when I need to check server side code now. As long as the issue I was getting is related to a local server issue, I can deal with that. I thought it may have been an issue with how I wrote the code, because I dont know if it is just me, but internet explorer seems to have issues with some code. For instance, when I embed a flash movie into html, there is a seperate embedding just for IE.

The issue I mentioned I would mention later is actually fixed now. My embedded flash movies were not displaying in their correct places in IE, but whenever I rolled over one of my buttons, it would suddenly snap into place. This was only happening on my friends laptop, and only in IE. On my laptop, it worked perfectly in IE. I done some updates on her IE, and now everything seems to work correctly, so I am hoping it was just an issue with her IE. I didnt know creating my own website could be so stressful, and its not the coding, its the testing. If only a language could be produced which was acceptable on all browsers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

It's not the languages' faults, though. It is the browsers' implementation of standards. IE is the worst about it. The newer versions are getting better about it, which could explain why updating IE on her laptop resolved the issue(s). Still, if you're looking for standards-compliance, the best browser out-of-the-box for that, in my opinion, is Opera. Overall, I recommend Firefox for its combination of standards compliance and versatility.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:00 PM

http://html5readiness.com/
Opera is ok, but Safari and Chrome are better. IE is an old, fungus ridden dish rag.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

So what do you guys do when your creating webpages. Do you code for every browser, or make a selection of browsers you code for? In my case, it seems that my normal coding is good enough for most browsers, with exception ie. I have only been adding extra code for ie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Whenever possible, screw IE. We're at a point now where we can make the argument that if a browser isn't adhering to web standards (specifically, HTML5) then that's not our fault nor our problem. Sure, we can't always do that, but if we do it often enough it won't be long before we can always do that! Essentially, I'm arguing that web developers should collude to force all browsers to adhere to web standards.

One of my favorite quotes:

If Daring Fireball looks goofy in your browser, you’re likely using a shitty browser that doesn’t support web standards. Internet Explorer, I’m looking in your direction. If you complain about this, I will laugh at you, because I do not care. If, however, you are using a modern, standards-compliant browser and have trouble viewing or reading Daring Fireball, please do let me know.

This post has been edited by CTphpnwb: 12 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1