6 Replies - 910 Views - Last Post: 20 June 2010 - 07:52 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Creating an experience in your game

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hello everyone,

This post doesn't pertain to game programming, but game designing. So if this is the wrong forum for this, then mods, please move it to the correct forum.

So I've started reading through the book The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, and I love it so far. I suggest that all aspiring game designers read this book.

Chapter 2 was all about experiences, and the way games create experiences for the players. At the end of the chapter, it presents you with the first lens, The Lens of Essential Experience. The lens has three questions that you can ask yourself about the game you are designing.

The questions are: What experience do I want the player to have? What is essential to that experience? How can my game capture that essence?

I took this and made an exercise from it. I was thinking about fun games that I played in my childhood and the experience I had while playing it. Then I picked out what was essential to that experience for me. Then I thought up a game design that would try to simulate those experiences to a player. I chose dodgeball because it was one of my favorite games to play as a child. I will now list the essential experience I had, then a game element that would simulate that experience. Here is what I came up with.

Dodgeball Game

Experience - Game Element

Hitting people with balls - Throwing abilities: power throw, accuracy boost
Dodging balls - Dodge abilities: extra speed, roll
Catching balls - Can catch a ball if you press a button at the correct time
Tiring - Each player has a stamina bar which governs the use of throw/dodge abilities
Sweaty - Show sweat droplets on players face when stamina is low
Competitive - Online play, online stats: hit %, # of wins, online leaderboard. Can create teams, and play against other teams in ranked matches
Different ways to play - Different modes: standard, jail ball, freeze ball, FFA
Getting more skilled the more I played - Player gains experience for wins, and getting hits. Can spend experience points on dodge/hit abilities and to increase stats such as stamina, power, accuracy, speed, agility

It's your turn!
The main purpose of this post, is that I want to see what other people can come up with in this exercise. So I invite everyone reading this to think about a past experience, then break that experience up into its essential parts that made it a memorable experience, then think up elements of a game that could recreate the same experience for the player. Be as creative as possible!

Try to use the same format that I used. Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating an experience in your game

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Creating an experience in your game

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

This reminds me of "NO FRIENDS"

It is a dodge ball style game were everyone starts out in the gym just standing were ever.
The Teacher starts the game by throwing a ball into the gym.

-Once the ball bonces off the floor the a player can grab it.
-Once a player has the ball they can throw it at other players.
-If the ball hits another player, that player is out of the game.
-If the ball bonces off the floor and then hits another player, that player is safe and can stay in the game.
-When a player has the ball they have to stand were they are.
-If another player catches the ball, the player that threw it is out.

As the game goes on, the Teacher will throw more balls into the gym.
Once 3 or 4 balls get into play, things start to get really intense.

Oh yeah, there is no safety zone. Just a place were you go and sit once your out.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Yes that does sound very intense. I would still play dodgeball now if I had people to play with :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

Hmm, maybe Grant from Mythbusters can build us a Dodgeball Playing Robot!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:33 AM

Haha. I love that show. I don't think that would be quite the same though. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Before I write about what features I want in a game, I like to think about what the player would experience in more emotional terms. For dodgeball, it might be: The power play between players, either one superior player destroying an inferior one or equally matched players facing off; Terror of a million not so soft rubber balls flying at you; Excitement when your team beats the odds.

Once you have these down, you could build the mechanical gameplay to support the above.
-One hit takes a player out and the less people on someone's team, the easier it is for the opposing team to collect more balls (thus more balls to dodge.)
-At the end of each round the two highest scoring players can face off, the victor gets an extra point for his team.
-Allow balls to bounce, keeping balls in play for longer (again, more balls to dodge.)
-Create impact effects that say "that looks painful."

Sorry to derail. Here's my contribution.

Rocket Ship Game
I decided to post examine my own game idea inspired by David Bowie's A Space Odyssey. It's about a man who is obsessed with going to the moon, but fate continually stops him just short of his goal.

Experience - Game Element
-The player would be in control of a shanty rocket ship the protagonist designed (don't mistake this for the PLAYER designing the ship).
-Their goal would be to reach a certain altitude (space) before running out of fuel.
-With each atmospheric level a new obstacle in controlling the rocket would present its self, such as erratic steering or a fuel leak.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

@mastersmith98

Thank you for contributing to the thread.

I love the gameplay elements you added to my dodgeball game example.

View Postmastersmith98, on 19 June 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

-At the end of each round the two highest scoring players can face off, the victor gets an extra point for his team.
-Allow balls to bounce, keeping balls in play for longer (again, more balls to dodge.)
-Create impact effects that say "that looks painful."

These would be awesome. I'm almost tempted to make a dodgeball game now :)

Your gameplay ideas would create an awesomely challenging game.

I would love to see more people contributing like this! Please please, everyone join in!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1