6 Replies - 632 Views - Last Post: 15 June 2010 - 06:09 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where do I begin?

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

I have started to learn Java from a textbook recommended to me by my Computer Programming prof - Java 2 : the Complete Reference. The textbook warns that '[Text-based programs] do not constitute an important use for Java in the real world.' Is it worth working on a few text-based programming projects before moving on to applets*? This is not a new concept for me, I have worked with C++ in the 11th and 12th grade. Is there a lot to gain from working on similar programs in Java?

Also, if I need to be working on different problems than I would with C++ to exploit all my newly-acquired Java knowledge, could you direct me to some, or at least give some direction to my practice-problem-seeking activities?

Thank you!

* I say applets because I gather that that is what's coming up next according to my textbook, but it would be more accurate to say 'other things that are unique to Java which I don't know about yet.'

** If this post is really stupid or not appropriate for this forum,
1) I apologise
2) What is a better way to figure out the answers to such questions?

Thanks. (First-ever post jitters, eep!)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where do I begin?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where do I begin?

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

Well the syntax is slightly different between Java and C/C++...like Java you cant do variable&, etc...

You might possibly try working on 2 or 3 text-based programs to help get more comfortable with java and all the different classes it has to offer...

Here's 2 simple projects you may consider:

Stop Sign - draw a stop sign...helps with the graphical aspect which you will need for most applets if your doing gaming, etc
Bank - user can create account, withdraw, deposit, delete account (very simple)

You might also consider looking at Java Swing for GUI, as the real-world application from java are applets and GUIs.

It's the right forumn to post in btw ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

If you need more help just leave a comment...

I got loads of programs from AP CS Java

Just finished 11th Grade ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

I agree with bcranger. When I learned Java I learned most of the main concepts in console based applications and then carried what I learned into applets and GUIs. Swing is great for GUI and not too difficult to learn, especially if you read the API stuff for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Grand Inquisitor
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:04 AM

First off, I would look into getting a more up-to-date book on Java. I believe it's now in Java 6 with 7 on the way, but that's more or less beside the point.

If you are learning Java, I certainly recommend that you do text-based programs to start. Use it learn how to do all the little nuances of Java such as inputting and outputting data, syntax changes, etc. Get familiar with how it all flows together - text-based programming is your foundation, though from your previous programming experience, I would venture that you already know that.

That said, you will probably pick up on the changes quickly, so you will probably be able to move on to more advanced concepts pretty soon. Regardless, know how to input and output as it's always handy to be able to print out on a console where your errors are occurring using your handy try-catch statements. Mainly focus you time in the console of master the object oriented part of Java - learn how to use classes, interfaces, and touch on abstract classes if you are feeling adventurous.

Also, once you decide to venture into GUIs make sure you take your time. I haven't gotten much into GUIs with C++ (this is my summer project), but if it's anything like Java, then there are a lot of smaller concepts you need to master (or at least have a strong understanding of) until you can actually start writing the GUIs, or at least that's how it was for me.

This post has been edited by zim1985: 15 June 2010 - 12:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 g00se  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

The textbook warns that '[Text-based programs] do not constitute an important use for Java in the real world.'

'Text-based programs' - that's pretty broad isn't it? ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Winning
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

Start with command line programs such as leap year, guessing game and tictactoe. I would only recommend you to move onto Swing once you have a strong understanding of the language i.e. 'how to use arrays and classes and objects'. You may want to have a look at macosxnerd101's Getting Better at Programming (Java). You will essentially start from stage 1 and then once you feel comfortable that you have covered everything, go onto the next step.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1