• +

17 Replies - 7249 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Microsoft Office 2010 Student Deal

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hey,

If anyone is interested, Microsoft has updated the "Ultimate Steal" offer to include Microsoft Office 2010 Professional for $79.99.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Microsoft Office 2010 Student Deal

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Office 2010 Student Deal

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

View PostTopher84, on 15 June 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Hey,

If anyone is interested, Microsoft has updated the "Ultimate Steal" offer to include Microsoft Office 2010 Professional for $79.99.

I would also advise everyone to check with their school to see if their school offers special discounts (assuming you're a student) because some schools have partnership deals with Microsoft and other companies to directly offer really low cost software, sometimes even free. But generally speaking these are probably around $10 or so.

Some schools don't offer it publicly (definitely not through the bookstore or anything like that) and you have to ask about it. Generally it is offered through the engineering department. Ask and find out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

View Postnooblet, on 15 June 2010 - 10:55 PM, said:

View PostTopher84, on 15 June 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

Hey,

I would also advise everyone to check with their school to see if their school offers special discounts (assuming you're a student) because some schools have partnership tdeals with Microsoft and other companies to directly offer really low cost software, sometimes even free. But generally speaking these are probably around $10 or so.

Some schools don't offer it publicly (definitely not through the bookstore or anything like that) and you have to ask about it. Generally it is offered through the engineering department. Ask and find out.

I know the school I attend has n msdnaa and we can get all kinds of microsoft products at no charge. I just got visual studios 2010 ultimate which is around $10,000 for free. I could be mistaken but msdnaa does not offer the general office products like word and excel, but they do offer things like project 2010 and visio pro 2010. Maybe each school has their own setup?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

View PostTopher84, on 16 June 2010 - 05:52 AM, said:

I know the school I attend has n msdnaa and we can get all kinds of microsoft products at no charge. I just got visual studios 2010 ultimate which is around $10,000 for free. I could be mistaken but msdnaa does not offer the general office products like word and excel, but they do offer things like project 2010 and visio pro 2010. Maybe each school has their own setup?

Correct, products and discounts varies from school to school. I just know it's generally offered and worthwhile to check. Unfortunately most programmer's don't even know of the discounts unless they talk to someone who knows about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

Too bad microsoft cant just be straight-forward and give student an easier time with this stuff. I was looking at office home and student because i need it for school and it was over 100 dollars. Im not ditching that out. But i dont want to download it online illegally. They should make a really slimmed down version and offer it for free. They kinda do that with the office starter, but its only for oem computers. If not, they could at least make just a student version with the student in mind and make it a little cheaper. They make billions of dollars in profit every year, why not spare some to the student how need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:42 AM

I have access to Windows OS, Office, and several other products as well. Here you must be an engineering student or have "valid engineering need" to get these discounts. I have downloaded iso's of 64 bit Windows7 and put in a vm on my mac. I love being somewhere where this is offered. One comment is often the msdnaa agreements say "Not for commercial use" meaning technically you cannot develop on them for anything you expect to get compensation for. This software is to be used in a purely academic setting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:55 AM

Dont blame MS because they in commerce life. If you need office tool there are many open and free like Open office which are compartible with ms office
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

Currently, a school may fall into 1 of 3 categories which are:

1. Student Select – School provides software to students at a discounted price through one of three ways
- Direct to student
- Bookstore
- Microsoft Reseller (i.e. E-Academy or Journey-ED)
2. Student Option – School purchases software for students
3. Academic Full Packaged Product (AFPP) Direct (formerly ‘Ultimate Steal’)
- Visit: www.microsoft.com/student

Schools that are a part of the Student Select program usually get software for about the same price as what you can get from the AFPP Direct (Ultimate Steal). Actually it ends up being cheaper because if you buy the CD/DVD from AFPP Direct then you have to pay for shipping. The AFPP Direct is updated immediately as soon as Microsoft releases a new product. When Office 2012 and Windows 8 comes out in the summer of 2012, the site will be updated to allow students to get the software at the discounted price.

Of course the Student Option is the best choice for students, because it comes at no cost to students. MSDNAA falls under this category.

One last great program that Microsoft offers and that is talked alot on DIC is DreamSpark. It's a great program which let's students get software for free from Microsoft.

I hope that helped everyone understand all the possible ways to get software for free or at a discounted price from Microsoft.

Tyler Hughes
Microsoft Student Partner
North Alabama
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

Our school doesnt do dreamspark, and they really dont offer much that i liked. I dont use any of the stuff they offered there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

View Posttdzaleski, on 25 September 2010 - 06:16 AM, said:

Our school doesnt do dreamspark, and they really dont offer much that i liked. I dont use any of the stuff they offered there.

Even if your school isn't listed on the DreamSpark website you can still get free software from them! I was getting free software from DreamSpark 3 to 4 months before my college was ever added to the list. If you or anyone else can't find your school on the DreamSpark's list of schools let me know and I'll post the link on how to contact them so you can get the free software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

No way in hell I would ever pay a singe $ for any commercial software "required" to attend school. It's utterly ridiculous. If a school requires the use of such software, they had better provide it. Sure, I'll pay for software I use personally or professionally, but if me getting through school is dependent on me paying an extra $80 to Microsoft... it won't happen.

Microsoft has somehow managed to make people think MS Office is a normal, mandatory expenditure for most educational and professional work, and that they are somehow the good guy for providing discounts. Even many governments require that people use MS Office for public, often non-optional, forms and reading material. - This is FAR from OK.

Not that I blame MS for this. They are just taking advantage of an opportunity created by lack of common sense from the people in control of organizations and governments. - If you are distributing documents to random strangers, who's job, education or anything else is dependent on them being able to read and/or edit them, you have no right to assume they will be able to use a proprietary, commercial format like the MS Office formats. They should be in a standardized format that can be used by any software developer, not just MS.

P.S.
My current school *does* require me to use MS software, and they do provide it or else have accepted alternatives. If you are having to pay, even a single cent, you shouldn't take it lying down!

P.P.S.
http://www.gnu.org/p...ttachments.html :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:13 AM

View PostAtli, on 25 September 2010 - 08:09 PM, said:

No way in hell I would ever pay a singe $ for any commercial software "required" to attend school. It's utterly ridiculous. If a school requires the use of such software, they had better provide it. Sure, I'll pay for software I use personally or professionally, but if me getting through school is dependent on me paying an extra $80 to Microsoft... it won't happen.

Microsoft has somehow managed to make people think MS Office is a normal, mandatory expenditure for most educational and professional work, and that they are somehow the good guy for providing discounts. Even many governments require that people use MS Office for public, often non-optional, forms and reading material. - This is FAR from OK.

Not that I blame MS for this. They are just taking advantage of an opportunity created by lack of common sense from the people in control of organizations and governments. - If you are distributing documents to random strangers, who's job, education or anything else is dependent on them being able to read and/or edit them, you have no right to assume they will be able to use a proprietary, commercial format like the MS Office formats. They should be in a standardized format that can be used by any software developer, not just MS.

P.S.
My current school *does* require me to use MS software, and they do provide it or else have accepted alternatives. If you are having to pay, even a single cent, you shouldn't take it lying down!

P.P.S.
http://www.gnu.org/p...ttachments.html :)

I love how your post has nothing to do with any of the threads on this topic. The topic was to provide any student with discounts to Microsoft Office or other products if they want it. No one said anything about requiring it or if the school required such software that you'd have to pay for it (the premise of your response). I'm not even going to get into that subject since it doesn't matter or relate to any of this. The point of the thread was to get a student discount for those who *want* MS Office at a better price. I'm not sure what your ranting about that has to do with this thread at all other than the fact that it also relates to MS and MS Office.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:36 AM

View Postnooblet, on 26 September 2010 - 12:13 PM, said:

I love how your post has nothing to do with any of the threads on this topic. The topic was to provide any student with discounts to Microsoft Office or other products if they want it. No one said anything about requiring it or if the school required such software that you'd have to pay for it (the premise of your response).

View Posttdzaleski, on 22 September 2010 - 02:04 AM, said:

... I was looking at office home and student because i need it for school and it was over 100 dollars. Im not ditching that out. But i dont want to download it online illegally...

You were saying... :)

View Postnooblet, on 26 September 2010 - 12:13 PM, said:

The point of the thread was to get a student discount for those who *want* MS Office at a better price. I'm not sure what your ranting about that has to do with this thread at all other than the fact that it also relates to MS and MS Office.

Do you seriously think most students buy MS Office because the *want* to? No, it's because they *need* to, for their school work. Sure some of those may be mistaken in believing that MS Office is their only choice, but that's where rants like the one above come in. - It's not as far of topic as you make it out to be. (Certainly not as far of as this argument about how far of it was is :))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Guest_Cool guy*

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Torrent it and stop bitching about the price.
Was This Post Helpful? -6

#15 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

That is illegal, unethical and not supported on Dream.in.Code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +