Are you a "Content Provider"?

How do you feel about HTML5?

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 2969 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are you a "Content Provider"?

Post icon  Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

As a content provider (a person who authors websites), what parts of HTML5 are you excited about? Which parts do you wish had better browser support? Which parts are you already happy to see implemented that make your life easier, or provide richer user experience?

Since I come from the mobile world, I'm curious about content providers for mobile content as well. If you build mobile sites, what do you wish was supported for those types of clients?

Background: I'm not a web author, but I do work on browsers (i.e. webkit). I think it should be content authors that drive browser development (I'm not saying content authors should be responsible for developing browsers, just setting goals, vision, etc.). I'd like to hear from those web authors who create the pages that we all visit and click on!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Are you a "Content Provider"?

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are you a "Content Provider"?

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

I think I'm going to move this to Corner Cubical and see what kind of discussion we can get going on, good topic :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

View PostRedSon, on 18 June 2010 - 03:10 PM, said:

what parts of HTML5 are you excited about?

Every last bit of it. It's good to see the internet moving forward. Most exciting would have to be the video tag and some css things like rounded corners

Which parts do you wish had better browser support?

Probably every part that IE doesn't support... personally I think MS should just open source it. if they are ever going to open source anything it should be that. I bet they are just afraid of letting the world see how bad the source code is :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

View Postwalterj89, on 18 June 2010 - 10:50 AM, said:

what parts of HTML5 are you excited about?

Every last bit of it. It's good to see the internet moving forward. Most exciting would have to be the video tag and some css things like rounded corners

Which parts do you wish had better browser support?

Probably every part that IE doesn't support... personally I think MS should just open source it. if they are ever going to open source anything it should be that. I bet they are just afraid of letting the world see how bad the source code is :)

Thanks for the response. I was hoping for a little less general comments on HTML5 and the browser support. HTML5 is a very large specification, are there any particular items that are specifically interesting? As for the browser support question, what specifically would you like to see IE support that it doesn't? What about FF or Opera?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

As far as HTML5 is concerned I am looking forward to all the browsers supporting it more than they seem to currently, it looks like it will be a great language, I am just sad that the general pickup is going as slow as it is.

Now, a bit off topic here, but relevant to new web standards. I must say I am a little disgusted with how many browsers "support" CSS3 only if you use their built-in syntax. I don't want to have to have 3 extra lines of CSS for each drop shadow or gradient. webkit, moz, and khtml are all very annoying to work with; in fact I am at the point where I will use only the CSS3 specified command in my CSS and if the browser doesn't support the standards I don't care. It is just annoying that people using those browsers don't get to see the site in its full glory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

The new notification pop up feature inline with the browser is pretty cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

I am a content provider. To be honest, I haven't taken a good look at HTML 5 yet. I'm sure there are many good things in it. Until all popular browsers support it 100%, is it worth my trying to use it?

Don't get me wrong. I like new things when it comes to software. They are exciting and they allow us, as developers, to move on to new and better things. I hate legacy browsers, like IE-6. I have a few topics here on that and have ranted a few times on the subject. I do realize they have their place in the world and it won't change in the near future.

One thing that I am interested in looking into is the new graphics capabilities, as a game programmer. There was a thread in the game programming forum about HTML 5 supporting game graphics using OpenGL. That is one thing that I would eventually love to look into.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

I use google chrome as my browser at home, and I must say I found the three parts of HTML5 quite fascinating; audio, video and canvas. Canvas is pretty cool. These are not viewable on IE, which I use at work. The header/footer I find interesting as well, since when I create web sites, I find myselft creating a separate file for header and footer. So, with these new tags, it makes coding a bit easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

While I can see the appeal of things like audio, video and canvas....I am most excited about Sockets in HTML5!!

I would Love to be able to implement some Server Push applications that do not require Silverlight (or, heaven forbid Flash....ickkk! Ok I feel dirty just mentioning it).

I'm not sure if I count as a typical "content provider" because I develop web applications that are not for the general public. While my applications do feed "content" to the end user, they are more "applications" than websites. The content served is based on a live system that monitors building access control.

I would love to see my main project be able to serve live data depending on the system that my application is integrated with....right now I can't do that because of the disconnected, stateless environment of websites (well I can, and have played with Silverlight to accomplish this...but it would be nice not to have to depend on something like Silverlight for Server-Pushes). I could "poll" for the data, but if an alarm were to go off I would like to be able to display the alarm to the end user instantaneously...and not have to wait for a poll to occur.

-Frinny

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 21 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1