14 Replies - 2527 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2001 - 10:16 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Flash Stealing: Condoned!

Posted 05 July 2001 - 02:38 PM

http://builder.cnet.com/webbuil....

Nuff said.

What do you guys think about this? Is this a common thing for "flash developers"? Do you "borrow" source code all the time? I am a newbie with flash, I admit, but all my work to date has been 100 original minus song clips for some of the larger movies...

--LM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Flash Stealing: Condoned!

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Flash Stealing: Condoned!

Posted 05 July 2001 - 03:37 PM

Take these boards for example, theres onlyone wyay to post a picutre, if i use that code, am i stealing it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 04:22 PM

the beauty of being human is we don't have to reinvent the wheel. we can add treads, make it out of anti-puncture composites, or even put chains on them, but that whole wheel inventing thing? i mean, that's so 2345 bc.

when you see good code, use it. don't feel bad about it. just do it. when you spend your creative energies building on the work of others, instead of rebuilding what others have already built, then you're actually contributing something to the greater universe. even if it is just a kick ass rolling text fade with spiraling glitter.

this whole friggen world is too #### consumed with what's mine and what's yours. if you weren't such a prick you'd offer it for free use instead of hoarding it. . . and that's what i said to my mother when she wouldn't give me a second helping of potatoes.

and what of skyhawkl33 - our cb lovin redneck design uberlord?

All content on this site, unless otherwise stated, is open source. You may use anything you see on this site.

beautiful man. just beautiful. i shed a tear every time i read that. it's the beauty of your soul shining through. . . really, you deserve some sort of medal for having that attitude. . . or at least a blow job from a beautiful hungarian princess. . .

and none of this really helps me a whole lot with getting a picture under my name now does it? #### hippies.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 05:23 PM

I don't know... Anybody see the movie AntiTrust? Knowledge belongs to the people, but some people will make money off your hard work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 05:54 PM

Quote: from Sonic on 5:22 pm on July 5, 2001
beautiful man. just beautiful. i shed a tear every time i read that. it's the beauty of your soul shining through. . . really, you deserve some sort of medal for having that attitude. . . or at least a blow job from a beautiful hungarian princess. . .

and none of this really helps me a whole lot with getting a picture under my name now does it? #### hippies.

Post your pic, just for that statement you deserve one man! That's FUNNY!!!!!!!!

And #### yeh, AntiTrust kicks ass! everything should be opensource, even the shit I don't steal should be opensource, it's how things are made better. It's a big cycle, no one wrote a shopping cart, they wrote an order form, then a catalog, then joined the 2, then made improvements... it didn't just happen. it's a big cycle!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 07:04 PM

screw that, there is still some bravado behind doing 'A' before designer 'B' can.

i have no problem open sourcing, but if the designer hasn't opened it yet, then you shouldn't steal it.  if it hasn't been released, then ask for it.  at worst they'll say no & you'll probably do it anyway.  if they say yes, you just paid their ego $$$.

the worst part is, only the truly stupid (ok, mark that off), easy stuff, if only the thief would put more than 15 sec. thought into it.

$$$ makes this all go around.  open source is a nice idea, but so is world peace.  it might happen here & there, but until *everyone* agrees on it, then one shouldn't trespass.

personally, i'll open source anything truely amazing i do, but collision detects aren't that.  if ya'll wanna load external data (amazingly not that hard) or XML (much harder)into flash, i'll put that up.  just ask your friendly flash designers first.

PS: i find it incredibly hypocritic that cnet, a magazine that firmly supports the shareware community for so long, would dare to post articles on 'cracking' software (don't delude yourself, it is cracking!)  imagine if they had put the same thing out that you should crack opera b/c all browsers should be *open-source*.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 08:15 PM

you know, i dont even know how to steal source on flash but anyways, it all depends on what your doing, if you make something like a flash footer for example, simple and lots of us use them, what does it matter really if someone takes the fade out thats in my footer, but adds something else to it instead of supersloth, does anybody really care if that was to say skyhawk or runtime or lord manimal. no.

but on the other hand, there are those that take others work for profit, i dont know if a lot of you remember this, but back in may my computer science class was in finals, and some guy tried to steal null and voids code to get an a on his final. that is wrong. period.

i like this thread, lets get more stuff like this happening on the site.

(o, and as i side note, that guy failed his final, i think he finished with like a d- for the semester.)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 08:31 PM

alright. i can't figure out which image i want to use. some opinions?

i hope this works. it doesn't in the preview but the image tag is referencing the right url.

Posted Image
Posted Image

if these don't work you can check them out at http://www.chadluff....mages/icon1.gif and http://www.chadluff....mages/icon2.gif

yeah, i dig this thread too. let me ask you a question. if
i = i++ is the _best_ way to write that action, then does that snippet of code belong to the first person who wrote it? expand on that and if a certain way to write a given function is the _best_ way to do it, does the person who first wrote it that way own the proprietary rights to it?

i mean, if we all followed exemplery programming practices, we'd be bound to write the same code eventually. it's kind of like music, if we both write a song and yours has (chord) A C C B and mine has (chord) A C C B am i ripping you off? there are only so many combinations you know.

peace to all my little homies. i'd like to thank the acadamy, my mother, and that homeless guy outside.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2001 - 08:32 PM

woah, cgi *hicup*

(Edited by Sonic at 10:36 pm on July 5, 2001)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2001 - 05:36 AM

Quote: from Sonic on 12:31 am on July 6, 2001
if
i = i++ is the _best_ way to write that action

I like your second image, and btw, i++; will work just fine ;)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2001 - 06:33 AM

I vote for the 1rst image Sonic. I like the tiger thing, but you know me. I'm more into the "biohazard" thing you have happening. Still lovin that desktop. Everyone should head over to http://chadluff.com and pick up some kick ass ORIGINAL wallpapers. Dude just does this shiznitz for fun!

In any event, I see Sonics viewpoint, that evolution/modification is change, and change ensures that whatever is being changed lives on. The only "true" stasis is death, and even that is only speculation. On the other hand, I'm 100% with object that if all we ever did was modify other peoples work, we'd still be programming in Turtle basic. Although a pretty #### advanced form. ####, maybe we'd be sitting here typing 1's and 0's all day for all I know.

Sonics correct that things ideally would be open source, but that doesn't leave much room for Capitolism, which is what makes the world go round. I could go into a 100 page essay on why I support Capitolisim and the philosophy behind my reasoning, but I won't. Mainly because I'm busy setting up http://lanmanimal.com ;-)

Oh, and I never thought about that, but CNET IS condoning, and even giving a "how to" on pirating.... I see the authors viewpoint, but you won't see Netscape going out and publishing some known flaws with I.E. to the public and the "how to" for exploiting them. Think about that chaos. I'm surprised developers haven't gotten more angry about this actually. Maybe some e-mails should be sent to cnet?

--LM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2001 - 02:56 PM

sonic is #### right, your gonna run into it eventually, and i like the first icon better too. but in my opinion, you oughtta use sonic the hedgehog. heheh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2001 - 03:05 PM

hey skyhawk, paradox, or any other admin that can set up my avatar, i'm gonna use the icon at: http://www.chadluff....mages/icon1.gif

popular opinion wins again! yay!

thanks mega-admin dudes!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2001 - 09:38 PM

yeah, i dig this thread too. let me ask you a question. if i = i++ is the _best_ way to write that action, then does that snippet of code belong to the first person who wrote it? expand on that and if a certain way to write a given function is the _best_ way to do it, does the person who first wrote it that way own the proprietary rights to it?

i mean, if we all followed exemplery programming practices, we'd be bound to write the same code eventually. it's kind of like music, if we both write a song and yours has (chord) A C C B and mine has (chord) A C C B am i ripping you off? there are only so many combinations you know.

the point isn't that i=i++ is a rip-off (of course it isn't, it's just supposedly easier than typing i=i+1 (where, how? i dunno)).  but if you crack someone's flash rather than *reverse engineer* (ie. put a couple brain cycles to it) to figure it out, then that is theft.  

imitation is the grandest form of flatery, but plagerism is still wrong!  like i said, ask the flasher (uh huh huh huh) & they just might give it to you (read: designers/flashers *love* having their egos stroked (must be over 18 to participate; offer not valid in new mexico, nevada or west virginia; to enter, please send self-addressed stamped envelope containing 躔 to:
404 Media
2501 Old Polk City Rd.
Lakeland, FL 33809
many enter, few will win!)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2001 - 10:16 PM

i gotta admit, objekt has a point, going thru and figuring it out and doing it, as long as you do it yourself, is completely different than just taking it and using it. the reverse engineering is what people should do, not the actual stealing of code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1