10 Replies - 8080 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

#1 ce0swald  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 06-June 10

Senior Project Ideas

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Next year I have to start my senior project but, I want to start it over the summer. The only thing that is keeping me from doing that is the lack of ideas! So that's why I made this topic so I can get some good ideas. It has to be written in VB.NET and it has to help someone (so no games....idk why). So if you have a good idea that can help someone and can be written in VB.NET then please share with me your ideas.

Thanks!

P.S.

I'M NOT ASKING FOR YOU TO DO THE PROJECT FOR ME....

This post has been edited by ce0swald: 19 June 2010 - 08:35 PM


Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Senior Project Ideas

#2 Salem_c  Icon User is offline

  • void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

Reputation: 1741
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,351
  • Joined: 30-May 10

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

Do you have any ambition in life?

Or would you be content to sit on the bottom rung of the career ladder in the middle of some cube farm waiting for someone to tell you what to do?

Do you know what happens to them? As soon as there is a downturn, it's "we don't have anything for you to do - kthxbye".

People who get work, stay in work, get promoted etc are the ones that can come up with the ideas on what to do next and how to solve the problems. Now is where YOU find out whether you could do that by thinking up your own project.

And think of it you must, because when faced with the interview question "What inspired you to do this project?", you don't want to mumble or blurt out "Some dude on a website told me to do it".


Since we have no idea what your skill level actually is, any "project" idea we come up with suffers from the "Goldilocks problem", namely
- too easy
- too hard
- just right
From our point of view, it's already a crap-shoot with 2:1 odds of failure.

Or look at it another way. Has nothing at all in any of your courses to date inspired you enough to think "Hey, this would be a good idea for a project..."?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is offline

  • Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

Reputation: 5380
  • View blog
  • Posts: 27,350
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Generally the idea behind a senior project is to utilize a majority (if not all) of the skills that you used. Why don't you try to come up with an idea for a project that does this?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 ce0swald  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 06-June 10

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

Thanks you both! I thought about what you said and your right. So I sat down and thought of ideas and I got 4 ideas in about 30 min. So even though their were no ideas for a project you did give me ideas about how to get ideas...lol

Thanks!

P.S.

After I'm done with my project can I post it on this site so people can beta test it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Skaggles  Icon User is offline

  • THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon





Reputation: 251
  • View blog
  • Posts: 640
  • Joined: 01-March 09

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

View Postce0swald, on 20 June 2010 - 05:35 PM, said:

After I'm done with my project can I post it on this site so people can beta test it?


Certainly. Post your project in the Share Your Project forum and you'll get feedback.

This post has been edited by Skaggles: 20 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10771
  • View blog
  • Posts: 40,105
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

I might be a little late, but I figured I point you to Martyr2's Project Ideas List for future reference.

Good luck on your project! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 ce0swald  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 06-June 10

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 June 2010 - 08:59 PM, said:

I might be a little late, but I figured I point you to Martyr2's Project Ideas List for future reference.

Good luck on your project! :)


WOW!!! Thanks! I think I'm going to do a few of the ideas first and then do my senior project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Hiram  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 69
  • View blog
  • Posts: 203
  • Joined: 02-June 09

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:56 AM

When I did this, my teacher had a great idea. Actually find a client, and do it for free. Nothing too huge and fancy, just find a family member or a friend who needs a piece of software, and go through the motions of making it. I did this, and I ended up making some cattle-management software for my dad.

As an added bonus, another student in the class was doing something farm based (managing crops and such) we actually collaborated on the project, and ended up coming up with a great piece of software that in the real world is actually quite expensive to develop or even purchase that got very good marks. So if someone seems to be doing something similar to whatever you choose to do, don't throw away the idea of working with them if you're allowed to.

But of course, use discretion. If the student is rubbish, don't work with them :P
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#9 Guest_tanya*


Reputation:

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

View PostSalem_c, on 19 June 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

Do you have any ambition in life?

Or would you be content to sit on the bottom rung of the career ladder in the middle of some cube farm waiting for someone to tell you what to do?

Do you know what happens to them? As soon as there is a downturn, it's "we don't have anything for you to do - kthxbye".

People who get work, stay in work, get promoted etc are the ones that can come up with the ideas on what to do next and how to solve the problems. Now is where YOU find out whether you could do that by thinking up your own project.

And think of it you must, because when faced with the interview question "What inspired you to do this project?", you don't want to mumble or blurt out "Some dude on a website told me to do it".


Since we have no idea what your skill level actually is, any "project" idea we come up with suffers from the "Goldilocks problem", namely
- too easy
- too hard
- just right
From our point of view, it's already a crap-shoot with 2:1 odds of failure.

Or look at it another way. Has nothing at all in any of your courses to date inspired you enough to think "Hey, this would be a good idea for a project..."?



thats a bit harsh...


dont discourage the guy.. after all, we all get our inspiration from SOMEWHERE to start with..
Was This Post Helpful? 1

#10 taylorc8  Icon User is offline

  • B&

Reputation: 149
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,572
  • Joined: 21-July 09

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Not to bring up an old thread, but, what is the difficulty level of a project suited for a "Senior Project" ?

Those project ideas bore me to death, not with complexity, but function.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 ce0swald  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 06-June 10

Re: Senior Project Ideas

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

View Posttaylorc8, on 17 July 2010 - 08:04 PM, said:

Not to bring up an old thread, but, what is the difficulty level of a project suited for a "Senior Project" ?

Those project ideas bore me to death, not with complexity, but function.


Well anything that could be made in vb.NET would be good for me. I like to be challenged while doing a project as I believe it helps me develop my skills even more. so if you have an idea please feel free to post it.

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1