10 Replies - 876 Views - Last Post: 20 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I learn French or Spanish (I am doing B.Tech in CSE)

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hi everyone !!

I wish to learn an extra language (I already know English and Hindi) mainly for fun and also to possibly make my CV more impressive. I am doing B.Tech in computer science and plan to do an MS after wards. I want to eventually settle for a job in the IT industry possibly in India, but I would like to travel to anywhere work takes me.

Which of the two languages (Spanish or French) will be more useful for me in your opinion? Knowing which language will give me more diverse travel opportunities from work in you opinion ? Or would you recommend learning some other language ?

Thanks a lot in advance !!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I learn French or Spanish (I am doing B.Tech in CSE)

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I learn French or Spanish (I am doing B.Tech in CSE)

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

Spanish, without a doubt!!! The sheer volume of Spanish speaking countries/opportunities vs. French makes it a no-brainer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

I can't say for certain outside of the US but in the US, by a landslide it's Spanish. Outside of the US, it highly depends on where you're going. In Canada, it's probably going to be French, particularly eastern Canada.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

I'm Canadian and in my opinion learning French is a huge waste of time. Just think of the amount of people who speak Spanish vs. French worldwide. Also, the chance of you moving to Quebec to do something computer related is slim to none.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I think I'm going to move this to Student Campus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Salem_c  Icon User is online

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

> Knowing which language will give me more diverse travel opportunities from work in you opinion ?
If you end up working for any IT company with any international exposure, then English pretty much becomes de rigueur (yes, that's English for you - hijacking all the good phrases from everyone else ;))

> Or would you recommend learning some other language ?
As others have suggested, Spanish (I would add Portugese as well) would be useful in social settings, particularly if you like to travel.
I'm guessing Hindi is your mother tongue, and English is secondary. English has many Latin roots, so picking up Spanish should be pretty easy.

Check the maps to see where the languages are spoken.
http://en.wikipedia....uguese_language
http://en.wikipedia....panish_language

If you're just starting out on your career, then Mandarin Chinese might be an interesting idea. Being tri-lingual in Hindi, English and Mandarin would cover a lot of ground!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

Espanol es muy PLAIN FREAKING WEIRD, I learned the basics and learned they talk backwards it's too much for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

View PostRossMcT, on 20 June 2010 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm Canadian and in my opinion learning French is a huge waste of time. Just think of the amount of people who speak Spanish vs. French worldwide. Also, the chance of you moving to Quebec to do something computer related is slim to none.

I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that if he does want to move to Quebec and program there, French would serve him better regardless of what the rest of the world speaks. As I've said, it is very location dependent but generally speaking, Spanish is going to win hands down. I actually took 3 years of French in high school and wish I had chosen Spanish instead lol

Personally for me right now, the only languages that even matter in my personal opinion is English, Spanish, Hindu, Mandarin and Cantonese. Mainly because these are the top countries that have some of the highest population when you consider people who speak these languages as a whole. Although I seriously doubt I'll be picking up Hindu and Spanish anytime soon if at all. I'm not huge into languages and the only reason I speak the others is because I grew up with it.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 20 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

View PostRossMcT, on 20 June 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

Ok I am sorry but I am American living in Western Canada and even I know the importance of learning French in Canada. Do keep in mind that French is spoken in many other provinces besides Quebec. New Brunswick is even officially bilingual with 40% of the population speaking French. Northern parts of Ontario also can be speaking French. You can find some French in other provinces too. Definitely not a waste of time if you are staying in Canada.

Having said that, if you are in the US then Spanish is definitely more useful. It is also more widely spoken in the world. It will also lateral more easily into variants like Portuguese etc.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 20 June 2010 - 04:31 PM, said:

View PostRossMcT, on 20 June 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

Ok I am sorry but I am American living in Western Canada and even I know the importance of learning French in Canada. Do keep in mind that French is spoken in many other provinces besides Quebec. New Brunswick is even officially bilingual with 40% of the population speaking French. Northern parts of Ontario also can be speaking French. You can find some French in other provinces too. Definitely not a waste of time if you are staying in Canada.

Having said that, if you are in the US then Spanish is definitely more useful. It is also more widely spoken in the world. It will also lateral more easily into variants like Portuguese etc.

:)

Thanks, that was the point I was trying to drive home :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

If you plan on working in Europe or with European companies, I'd suggest French, as it is the trade language over there. If you plan on working in Asia or with Asian companies (which isn't out of the realm in the IT field), I'd encourage Japanese or a dialect of Chinese. Honestly, I'd rule out Spanish in this case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1