7 Replies - 1917 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2010 - 10:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Digging sound files out of old DOS game?

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

So, I have the dos game Duke Nukem 3D, and I want to find the files that contain all his vocal pieces, rather than try and record them in-game.

I included a screen of the contents of the package, but I can't find any obvious sound files in any of the folders, so I can only guess they're buried within one of the ambiguous files you see there. Anyone know how to get em out?

http://img155.images...5/8464/duke.png

This post has been edited by PistolSlap: 21 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Digging sound files out of old DOS game?

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Digging sound files out of old DOS game?

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

The simplest thing to do would probably just be to play them in an emulator (eg. Dosbox) and record them. :)

Edit: I believe Dosbox supports recording to WAV files. http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=458629

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 20 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

View PostTom9729, on 20 June 2010 - 06:32 PM, said:

The simplest thing to do would probably just be to play them in an emulator (eg. Dosbox) and record them. :)

Edit: I believe Dosbox supports recording to WAV files. http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=458629

i said in the first post, 'I want to find the files that contain all his vocal pieces, rather than try and record them in-game.'

but thanks for the suggestion, and for reading the post carefully, lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

I did read your post. I still thinking recording them with dosbox would be the easiest way. Is there a reason you don't want to go that route?

Edit: Just downloaded and installed the demo in Dosbox. Looks like there's a list of sound files in the "duke3d.grp" file. I don't seem them in the directory though, so chances are they're embedded in some custom PAK-like format.

Edit2: Was able to open the "duke.rts" file with a program called ZipZag. There were a couple of files that I could play in mplayer, but they were just dialog (no sfx).

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 21 June 2010 - 03:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

View PostTom9729, on 21 June 2010 - 02:05 AM, said:

I did read your post. I still thinking recording them with dosbox would be the easiest way. Is there a reason you don't want to go that route?

Edit: Just downloaded and installed the demo in Dosbox. Looks like there's a list of sound files in the "duke3d.grp" file. I don't seem them in the directory though, so chances are they're embedded in some custom PAK-like format.

Edit2: Was able to open the "duke.rts" file with a program called ZipZag. There were a couple of files that I could play in mplayer, but they were just dialog (no sfx).

hey, thanks for that :)

i didnt want to record them ingame because they're usually mixed up with other sound effects that are happening.

i managed to open that file and that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, but it didn't have the specific dialog I'm looking for 'It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum' lol. do you know which other files would contain vocals?

thanks for your help :)

This post has been edited by PistolSlap: 21 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

I just hit Open, then select "DUKE.RTS". I haven't tried all the other files so maybe the sound data is in one of those? Also I'm working with the Duke3d demo so things might be different for you.

This is what it looks like for me.

Attached Image

I used MPlayer to play the sound files I found. It identifies them as uncompressed PCM, so you might be able to play them in other players if you rename the files to have a ".wav" extension.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

lol, actually, i found it on youtube, all done for me XD

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

thx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

Hmmm I think I figured it out. Seems like everything is stored in the "duke3d.grp" file, if you can find a WAD editor that supports that format (like WinTex) you should be able to open it.

Attached Image

As seen above I was able to play some sounds and look at textures from the game, so I'm assuming that's where everything is stored. Just a note but WinTex is a very old program, I'm not sure if it'll run in a modern version of Windows (I had to hunt down some dll's to get it working).

View PostPistolSlap, on 22 June 2010 - 12:29 AM, said:

lol, actually, i found it on youtube, all done for me XD

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

thx

Ahhh whoops, well that certainly works as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1