4 Replies - 702 Views - Last Post: 24 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Perl without modules

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:50 AM

Without sounding too much like a newbie in Perl, I'll inquire.

I understand the advantages of having modules for Perl.
I am in a situation, where I cannot utilize the modules and having to code everything out.

Does anyone have any good references regarding IO, HTTP processing without modules?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Perl without modules

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Perl without modules

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Are you saying you can't use any modules period? I don't know why you couldn't use the core modules. I believe Perl Cookbook would be a good resource.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:38 AM

View Postmcwolf, on 22 June 2010 - 12:50 PM, said:

I am in a situation, where I cannot utilize the modules and having to code everything out.

What is the nature of this situation?

If it's for a class and the assignment says using modules is forbidden, then the course should have given you enough information to complete the assignment without them.

If it's on a shared web host or other system where you don't have admin access, then a variety of common modules (both core and non-core) should already be available and it's not that difficult to do non-admin installs from CPAN to a private module directory (Yes, even you can use CPAN), or you could even just copy the module files directly, provided that they're pure-Perl modules (which pretty much all of CPAN is, unless the module name ends in "::XS") and you don't mind manually resolving any dependencies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

The scenario is not a class nor assignment. The place I work, has our PC's locked down where we are unable to install additional programs, ect.

I found yesterday (after my posting of this inquiry), I can utilize the win32::OLE. I didn't realize I could do that with Strawberry Perl.

I am in the process of manually moving .pm files within my library folder. This should also provide me the means to utilize more than what I was started with.

I appreciate the replies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

A couple of years ago I worked in a place that was like that. We could not utilize any modules other than the ones already installed. The problem was that there were modules that I knew would make the job SOOO Much easier, but alas, they would not allow it.

So I resorted to downloading the modules and ripping from each one the bits and pieces that I needed to get the job done. Sure, its a Frankenstein way of doing it, but when your hand is forced and you have no other options, you do what you have to do to get it done.

Regards,

Jeff

Edit: Also, @dsherohman 's idea about downloading the modules and installing them into a local directory is not complete impossible. You will find that a module "install", in many cases, is simply a copy of the .pl files into the necessary directories where they are supposed to reside. There is nothing saying you cannot unpack the module and include/import those files into your code, thus getting the modules you need. Just an idea.

This post has been edited by numberwhun: 24 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1