4 Replies - 792 Views - Last Post: 30 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Job

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:04 AM

Hi guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma right now, you see I'm currently finishing my last year of degree (Software Eng) and I am training to become a Java developer in a software development company in my country, Malaysia.

The training program is almost over and wonderful enough for me, they've offered me a job. However, as they do not have needs for a software developer right now, they would like me to join their business development team as a consultant.

I am currently 21 and my passion is for development. I don't know if I should take up the job or to move on to another company. Please advise if you guys have any opinion on this.

Thank you guys in advance.

Sas1ni69

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

I don't know what the job market is like in Malaysia but if you have student loans and someone is willing to pay you to show up and do work everyday, you take it. Taking the job doesn't mean you quit looking though and you can always keep doing dev work on the side or on your own to keep your skills sharp while you look for something more suitable.

Besides, you never know...you may like what they have you doing. Sampling different careers at your age and level of experience can't be anything but a good experience if for nothing more than you can honestly say later "I don't want to do to that".

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

Welcome to the real world and being a grown up and having to make grown up choices.
As Craig said, take the *job* while you look for a *career*. The last time I checked paychecks were a good thing and the grocery store doesn't care where you get them.

Too many developers have no idea how the actual user of their software do their jobs. The developer *thinks* he understands and makes software that he *thinks* will fit the need. But if you actually do the job and understand the need and the shortcomings of current software then you are in a better position to make good software that really does what the user needs.

Nobody likes a manager that didn't work their way up through the ranks because they don't understand what the low-level people really do. Same thing for software people, in my mind. If you don't understand the job or the need then you can only make adequate software, not great software.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

Hi guys

You've no idea how much I appreciate your responses. I have already decided to take the job and to learn as much as I can from it.

And to answer your question Craig, the job market in Malaysia isn't so hot. So yeah, at the moment, this looks like a good option.

Thanks again !

sas1ni69
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

You can consult them into making you into a Java developer :)

Congrats on the new job!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1