2 Replies - 2909 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2010 - 09:49 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Harvard Application Supplement Project Ideas

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

Well, I'm going to be applying to a few Ivy League schools, including Harvard, as well as some other top-notch schools this fall. On many of these schools' websites I've read that applicants may submit some of their works regarding their abilities if they wish, so I thought I might spend the last month of summer working on a Java program that I could potentially submit as a supplement to my application...

I know there are many lists of project ideas but I'd like to hear what DIC members think would be a nice supplement program (one that Harvard would find likeable)...so post your thoughts pl0x =)

This post has been edited by bcranger: 26 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Harvard Application Supplement Project Ideas

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Harvard Application Supplement Project Ideas

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

I think if you tackle one of the projects from Martyr2's Project Ideas List and make it advanced/sophisticated enough, it would be a good project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Harvard Application Supplement Project Ideas

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

If you're aspiring to get into the top-flight colleges, then I would expect you to be able to think of your own project to do.

In 5 years time - who's going to invent the next iPlod?
For sure, it won't be someone who couldn't think of a project to do!

Certainly, if you wave a "Harvard" under some prospective employers nose, they're going to expect someone who is self-motivated and can THINK of things to do.

Here's where you make a choice:
Think of a good project, be self-motivated, get into the best college, fortune and glory!
or
Wait for others to tell you what to do, low paid corporate cube farm denizen, revolving door employment.

Yes, thinking of something to do is hard work, and quite frustrating at times (just like the rest of s/w development). But if you do manage to think of something unique, then you'll have a hell of a lot more fun implementing it, and give a much better verbal presentation of it when interview time comes.

> one that Harvard would find likeable
As opposed to say "one you would like"?

You sound like every other "please think of a project" type. You're looking at as optimisation problem aimed to achieve the maximum reward (place at Harvard) with minimal effort (downloaded off the net).

The problem for you becomes - can you keep visiting the same well before your ass gets busted for plagiarism? Getting in is but one step; being able to stay the course is a different matter altogether.

Harvard isn't some cheap "online degree mill" where you can phone in a few answers at your leisure and collect the magic bit of paper at the end. No, it's going to be a long hard slog, and I don't think you'll be ready for that, based on your approach so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1