8 Replies - 5064 Views - Last Post: 17 February 2011 - 12:00 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

I want to learn C++

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hi I've been wanting to learn C++ for a while now but I can't find a fun and interactive way to learn it. I've got a book from Wrox for C++ 2008. I tried to learn from it but it's not that fun. Do any of you know a fun way to learn C++?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want to learn C++

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want to learn C++

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

maybe (I am not too sure) you could try game development, it can be fun making games, but i think you need a good understanding of C++ anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Fun, interactive, and C++ do not belong in the same sentence.

Sorry, but the learning curve is very high, so you won't really be doing anything fun for a while. And interactive? No, that's not C++.

So, you'll have to choose. Either you're willing to slog through C++ and the details. Or you pick another language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• THE PEN IS MIGHTIER
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

One way that I learned was following the book Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. Between that book and the internet I was able to discover a lot about the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Guest*

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

View PostSkaggles, on 28 June 2010 - 03:12 PM, said:

One way that I learned was following the book Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. Between that book and the internet I was able to discover a lot about the language.

Sorry that this is completely off-topic, but Env, your website has many grammatical errors and doesn't look very professional.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I know it isn't the most attractive way, but getting a good
C++ book and working through it is really the only way to
learn it. You can't do much if you don't know the language.
Most (tutorial style) C++ books are laid out so you can master
at least 1 chapter per week. It won't take long... if it's
your first language however, it might take longer.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

i learn everything i know about c++ from the web, it's not really interactive but my favorite site when i was first learning was cprograming.com. i found the logical complexity of programing fun in and of it's self once i got the hang of it. i tried two times before to get into c++ but gave up as nothing was making sense, (i found later that this was mostly due to the fact that i was searching for things without there proper names) the first program i made was converting a program that converted Celsius to Fahrenheit, it took like three days for me to understand anything about it, about a year later i made a text based game based off of an old game called Camel. sometime later after that i made a textbased game in witch you wondered though a maze trying to not run into a monster but still get to the end of the maze(it had a really bad maze generating algorithm though). shortly after that i learned how to use SDL and just recently have been learning things like OpenGL and embedding Lua into applications, and most recently inline assembly, but this is just what i did in c++, other things that helped me where learning Visual basic to learn OOP and flash with action script helped me understand game dev and OOP better as well
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_Andrey*

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

You can try to learn C++ programming cartoons. There is a free book available: http://www.webcartoo...-way-to-learn-c
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• DIC supporter
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

You might like to see this ...

http://developers-heaven.net/forum/index.php/topic,46.0.html

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1