Banking Development

Ideas on development for Banking Solution ...

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 897 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2010 - 01:39 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Banking Development

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

This is more of a Development question, I'm beginning development of a window's form based application that will be used for tracking of loans, collection, compound and simple interest, account tracking. I do not usually do to much banking finance based development. I have an idea of how I want to approach but am looking for some guidance, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Does anyone know any good sites, or tutorials ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Banking Development

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Banking Development

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Well you are not going to find much out there because banks usually have their own methods, formulas and process of doing things. I would start first by getting a list of requirements from them and from there determining what can be cookie cutter from something else and what will need to be custom built. You may also want to focus primarily on the formulas they use as well as carefully see how they process a loan or calculate their interest. Undoubtedly they will have their own methods and those are going to be different than what you may find out on the web etc

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Ok, having worked for a bank for over a year now, I have some advice, although on reflection it's really pretty generic programming advice:

As Martyr suggested, focus on the formulas. Banks don't take it too kindly when your program doesn't match the outcome of what they used to do. Make sure you damn well understand exactly how they calculate their figures, and then make sure you duplicate it exactly. If you find an issue with the way they are currently doing things, bring it to their attention, but be prepared to duplicate the error in your own program, because "that's how it's done."

Get all the business requirements first, and don't allow scope creep to change your project. If you are developing this software for someone else, you're going to run into scope creep. They're going to love a feature, but "can it do this, or maybe this?" Your response should almost invariably be "possibly, but it will extend the delivery time."

Actually, re-reading your post now, and it doesn't say you're building this for a bank, just to do banking tasks. Well, I don't have much advice for that, but I'm going to leave what I wrote in case it helps you or someone else.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Actually the program is for a law office that does funding of multiple billing companies and has a fakaked system of loans and repayment, some are simple interest some are compound ... the loan amounts and payment amounts are not static so it's going to be a little more complicated then saying x amount of dollars was loaned on this date and will be re-payed on this schedule ... the loan amounts and payment amounts are incumbent on the return of the billing revenue, so while I have a rough idea of how to do it I keep running into a wall where I simply have to many variables ...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:39 AM

Post a code here and we'll help you to refactor it and make it simpler. Simpler the code is, better the solution...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1