Discover & Implement
The summer is great time to kick back and have some fun with all sorts of cool programming stuff. Recently we introduced a new Dream.In.Code feature - the DIC API. With the help of this web API, developers can access various data via a simple HTTP request, that returns XML data.
1) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. The contest is open to all registered Dream.In.Code members.
2) You must use the information provided via the API.
3) You are not limited to information supplied only by the API.
4) You can only submit one contest entry.
5) Your entry must be an application, either desktop or web-based. It must be original work, developed by the claimed author. We do not limit the use of third-party libraries in the entry as long as those are referenced.
6) Your entry must be fully working at the time of submission. No concept entries allowed.
7) You agree to provide the source code for your application to Dream.In.Code and attach it with your entry. An entry without source code is considered incomplete and is not eligible for a prize.
8) Dream.In.Code staff will not be participating in the competition, nor will their immediate family members. This only includes the webmaster, administrators and moderators. Mentors and Alumni are eligible for participation.
9) You can use any tools to develop your project.
10) No cash will be awarded in lieu of merchandise or awards, except by MEDIAGROUPONE/DREAM.IN.CODE's sole election due to prize unavailability (does not apply to the cash prize for the first place).
11) Representatives of MEDIAGROUPONE/DREAM.IN.CODE will select the winner based on creativity. Decisions are final on all matters relating to this contest. If MEDIAGROUPONE/DREAM.IN.CODE is unable to locate a given winner, an alternate winner will be selected. The winner will be notified by email and PM. Allow approximately 4-8 weeks for delivery of the prize.
12) By entering the contest, the participants ( a ) agree to the official rules and that the decisions of the judges are final in all respects; ( b ) consent to the use of the winner's name and photograph for advertising and promotional purposes without further compensation, except where prohibited by law; and release MEDIAGROUPONE/DREAM.IN.CODE and its subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by entering the contest, any prize, or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of any prize, except where prohibited by law.
13) All federal, state, and local laws and restrictions apply. Offer void where prohibited, or otherwise restricted under federal, state, or local laws, rules or regulations.
14) A list of winners will be posted on Dream.In.Code on September 5th, 2010.
If a participant violates one of the rules or does not agree to abide them, he/she will be automatically disqualified without any compensation.
Plagiarism and code stealing will not be tolerated.
- A 4GB Microsoft Zune with custom XNA Engraving
- An autographed copy of Zero One, Super Powers, & Lost Reality by Dual Core, as well as a copy of their latest album Next Level.
- Hardware (provided by Akron Computer Design & Repair, LLC)
- Caffeine Case (RedBull)
- Dream.In.Code Mousepad
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Digital Download
Aug. 31st 2010
A few tips:
The Dream.In.Code XML API is available via the following calls:
The XML representation of the homepage
Lists the data for a specific forum. The data is only available via IDs, so you need to know those before executing the call.
Displays the data about a specific user. Also, only operates with IDs (member names cannot be passed to this method). Member IDs are visible in the address bar in your browser when you view a member's profile.
Shows replies in a topic, as well as some basic user information.
There is no limit on what you can develop with this XML data - games, tools, forum readers etc. Whatever comes to your mind - go ahead and try implementing it.
At the end, the Dream.In.Code staff will analyze the entries, and the authors of the best applications will get awesome prizes!
So let's get started!