1 Replies - 2359 Views - Last Post: 23 August 2006 - 03:02 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Loading Map Files

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

Hi,

I'm still a newbie on c++ I'm trying to develop a game for now some thing simple in 3D like a maze of some sort. I'm using OpenGL. I have used a 3rd person camera class that I found on the net(can't remember where). It all works fine but I need some ideas of how to load map files. Currently i'm just looking at using text files. I tried to write a simple class to do it but it was an instant machine killer. Currently I cant post any code it's all on my machine at home(i'm posting this from work). What I had in mind was one file that contined all the details for the textures, how many textures this map will use, the names of the texture files, and what ids they will use. And another file with the number of squares(like if it was just a cube then this would be set to 6), the x,y,z coordinates with the texture id that they use, the coordinates used for mapping the texture to them.

Thanks for any help.
Abby

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Loading Map Files

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Loading Map Files

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:02 AM

Have a look at Game programming links topic. There are a couple of sites there with tutorials on using map files.
Depending on your project, it might be a good idea to use a format used by other (popular) games, so you don't have to write your own map editor as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1