Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Life changing moments

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

University of Maryland, started/ended with CS (the actual title of the major is Computer and Information Science, but its the same "stuff").
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I've had a few epiphany moments in my life so far - here are the two biggest ones of the last five years or so.

1. In September 05, I went to New Orleans to do emergency roof repairs. I was there for a month (actually at the time we were avoiding hurricane Rita by hiding in Mississippi). The driver of the vehicle I was in managed to get us t-boned by a semi-truck moving at highway speed. When the vehicle stopped rolling, I had glass embedded in the right side of my face and body, and my right ulnar nerve had been severed at the elbow.

Aside from the obvious ways things like this change your life, there's also great chances to learn about your character. When everything finally stopped moving, the only thought in my head were the other passengers, who were nowhere to be found (they had been ejected). I crawled my way out of the truck as much as I could, looking for them. Eventually I made it out of the truck onto the ground, but while I kept trying to crawl away and look for them, my foot was pinned between the seat and steering column. Eventually two of us were airlifted to the nearest hospital, and the other two were taken by 'bolance to the same hospital.

2. Getting married to my beautiful wife (almost two years ago). Only those who have never been married would say it isn't a life changing event. EVERYTHING changes, even your day to day routines. Also, it's slightly more life changing for me, as my wife is French, so we are moving to France as a direct result of being married to her. So I'd say it's changing my life significantly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

View Postxor-logic, on 04 July 2010 - 02:22 PM, said:

Getting married to my beautiful wife (almost two years ago). Only those who have never been married would say it isn't a life changing event. EVERYTHING changes, even your day to day routines. Also, it's slightly more life changing for me, as my wife is French, so we are moving to France as a direct result of being married to her. So I'd say it's changing my life significantly.

Yes and no. The process of getting married and having it legalized and the way certain things work like insurance, tax, etc... base on marriage rather than single claim may differ. But to an extent, many couples these days live with each other and although technically they are not tied by legality, they are every bit as married to each other than those who do go through the process of marriage. I fail to see how you can argue that unless you are "married" you wouldn't understand how much of that change. Many couples I know before and after they get married say things didn't change much, if at all. Many of which like I said, were practically already married without the actual ceremony or paperwork.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 04 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

View Postnooblet, on 04 July 2010 - 09:38 PM, said:

I fail to see how you can argue that unless you are "married" you wouldn't understand how much of that change.

This was not my argument. I said that only those who hadn't been married would say it isn't life changing. I didn't say that no one who hadn't been married could understand the changes it brings.

The wording of my statement does not apply to all those of in the group "not married", but it does apply to all of those in the group who would say marriage isn't life changing.

This post has been edited by xor-logic: 04 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Maybe for some it isn't. It's not a one size fit all argument for everyone? I know some people who live the exact same lives as they did before they got married. As far as they're concerned, nothing is different in their lives whether they're married or single except someone is there. To some people, they don't have that extreme closeness relationship. Everyone's different. I generally agree it's life changing for many. But I don't believe it's that way for everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First