My new programming website

programminglessons.net, everything about c++

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 1708 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My new programming website

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

Hello, ive created my first website, and its a c++ programming website. The website contains a complete beginners c++ tutorial.
The address is www.programminglessons.net
I've worked hard and long on these tutorials, and the website, so i hope some of you will find it useful.

Since this website is new, im gonna ask you guys to help me out by finding spelling errors, inacurrate information, or improvements that could be applied to the website.

Please tell me what you think of my first website!!!!
rants and compliments are welcomed
You can also email me in frantz@programminglessons.net

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My new programming website

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My new programming website

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Alright well, The first thing I notice is the low image quality of the header graphic and navigation buttons.

I'm not really sure how you saved that but the text looks messed. Also, I'm not sure if the header uses a backround that really matches the topic of the website, nor the backround to the page for that matter.

For a header graphic you could try looking around on http://www.sxc.hu/ it's a stock photography website that has tons of great, free, stock photos.

As for the page backround, maybe replace it with a solid color or a basic pattern.

Your site could use a better font for both the header and the text, something that defines the website overall, try looking around http://abstractfonts.com and find something that goes well with the style you want.

As far as the font goes for the text on the site, try something a little cleaner and less 'default' looking, Just play around with the various font options.

For a first website this is good work. I say that due to the fact that you didn't over-do anything, and it seems you have a good sense of whitespace. The ovarall layout is solid and it works, with a few tweeks and some spice thrown in there it should make a nice website for your needs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

thx for your suggestions markodageek, ill see what i can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• rvant.toujours
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

In addition to the layout issues Marko pointed out, I feel your tutorials are in a little bit of a strange order (teaching pointers before functions?) and a bit short, as well as several noticable spelling/grammatical errors.

It's a good start though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

Alright. To start the design is not very visually pleasing, for a couple of reasons. The colors are very bland and pretty much all run together. You don't need to get outrageous with colors, but colors will help you seperate content and guide a viewer's eyes where they need to be.

I'm also with Marko on the page background and the header image. If the title wasn't there I'd think I mistakenly landed myself at a church website. Take a look at some other programming sites to get some layout ideas. Don't rip other site designs off, obviously, but you may get some ideas of your own by visiting these sort of sites.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--Adam
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:23 AM

I keep getting a request to download Simplifed Chinese when I go to your site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ive told capty to change this 30k times, but he's a fag

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

i agree with pretty much all that marko said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1