Web site costing

How much should I charge

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 1075 Views - Last Post: 11 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

#1 Guest_Dexter Barnes*

Web site costing

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:09 AM

Hi Guys,

Really quick question. I have been asked to desgin a web site, this is going to be the first web site I have produced outside of personal use. It is for a friend of a friend and they want to pay me for it.

My problem is I dont know how to price it. Can you offer any standard costing models for web sites? It isn't going to be a massively flashy web site, maybe 4 or 5 pages with some videos.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Dex

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0

Replies To: Web site costing

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web site costing

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

Is web development the way you are planning to make a living? If so, and you are setting up as sole trader for instance there is a lot more to deciding on prices that just plucking a figure out of the air!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Lemur  Icon User is online

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

I'd need to see your level of work or at least some examples to tell. More than likely less than 100.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_Guest*

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

No I am not looking to make a living, this is more than likely going to be a very casual setup. I know the potential client has had a couple of other quotes from other companies and I just wanted to make sure I was competitive.

I thought there might have been a standard cost model but it sounds like there isn't and its more based on the level of work.

Thanks,

Dex
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Yeah its very changeable and will depend on the size of job and the level of work you are able to deliver. If you are making a living out of it then obviously your hourly also has to be enough to pay the bills.

I would say though that '100', (be it dollar or sterling probably in this case?) would be far too low in the professional market for a website of any size, but in this case you should probably just charge whatever you feel is reasonable for the client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

You say that 100 is way to low in the professional market, but there are so many web designers and companies out there, that competition has driven the market value of a website creation to a rediculous low. Do a search, and you will be surprised how many companies are offering websites of between normally 5-10 pages for normally about 129. Some even offer a live server along with the deal (Although the domain name problably sucks!).

So, in essence, 100 is a fair and reasonable price for what you want to do. The only situation where you should be thinking of a higher price is when you need to encorporate a wide variety of languages and technologies to get the job done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

What the hell is up with these esitmates people are giving without actually knowing how extensive the project is. Is it a full fledge website with multiple pages, a single page, etc... Functionalities of the website or just a static page. The amount of work that can go into a site can be an hour or 6 months for all you know. Pricing should be base on level of technical difficulty and time spent. Not some random ass number you pull of out of your ass because it's a friend of a friend and then estimate it's gonna be $100 give or take. EVERY site is different. No two sites are alike and doing an average quote without seeing the list of to do is bad advice in my opinion. And for the record, $100 is dirt cheap.

This post has been edited by nooblet: 06 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

** Moved to Freelancing **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:10 AM

Yes I realise that the market is competitive at the moment nick2price, but I still stand by what I have said. If you are spending 129 on a site, you will get an out of the box template site, you are not going to get a well written custom built site to the clients exacting requirements.

Unfortunately sites such elance, rentacoder and getafreelancer have also shifted peoples expectations as to what you can get for the money, sites are often quoted for cheaper than the figure you suggested, but the quality of work you get for that price is poor in my opinion.

So yes there is a lot of competition, but there is a large professional market place of people who are willing to pay the money for a good quality site, you certainly won't get these people paying 129 for a site because they know they just won't get what they want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Guest_Guest*

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:30 AM

It will be between 4-6 pages. I will be using SQL and PHP to produce a CMS system and also for a contact page. It will also contain embedded videos and small amounts of JQuery for looks. so it isn't just a static web site.

I am designing it from scratch as well.

I know she has had a couple of other quotes so what I did in the end is offered to build it and find an appropriate hosting package as well as post launch support for 20% less than her cheapest quote. She seemed happy.

thanks for the advice guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

Sounds like a good solution, well done!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:36 AM

View PostGuest, on 08 July 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:

It will be between 4-6 pages. I will be using SQL and PHP to produce a CMS system and also for a contact page. It will also contain embedded videos and small amounts of JQuery for looks. so it isn't just a static web site.

I'm not 100% certain, but it sounds like you're planning to write your own custom CMS from scratch.

Don't.

There are plenty of good PHP/MySQL CMS options out there which will do what you've described and far, far more. More importantly, they're battle-tested and, unless you're an expert programmer, far more stable and secure than anything you're going to produce on the first try.

As for pricing, let's just say that I choose not to compete on price with the rentacoder crowd. (Even when I was using rentacoder, I didn't compete on price - most of the contracts I won there, my bid was the highest, often by a substantial margin.) I don't do any project for $100 total and tend to run closer to $100/hr. As a fixed-bid project, I'd probably be looking at somewhere in the $2,000-2,500 range for a Drupal-based site doing what you've described, or five to ten times that amount if I were to build a custom CMS for it (although I see nothing in your description which suggests that a custom CMS is warranted, so I'd definitely push for using Drupal).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Well because it is one of your first official jobs you might want to price it lower rather than higher so that you can take more time with it and fix mistakes, because the lower the price usually the longer time you'll have among other things
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1