• Last »

78 Replies - 2145 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

4th of July Hangover Thread

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

Who has one?

I didn't drink enough to get one but I'm tired as hell. Decided to take a trip to Jackson to see the in-laws after my family complained that my wife and I don't bow our heads during the "family prayer". We don't pray, why would we bow our heads for a prayer? We just sit there anyway, it's not like we do anything during the prayer. So I rolled over the next morning and said, "lets go to Jackson" so we put some crap in a bag and left.

Beer, badminton, and fun. Glad we packed up and left.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 4th of July Hangover Thread

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 4th of July Hangover Thread

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

You didnt pray! Shame on you.

I dont have a hangover but I too as tired as hell and feel kind of sick. Hopefully it wears off before I go to work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

Not me!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

I didn't have a drop yesterday. Got up early and ran this morning. I'm getting tired of making such good life choices.

Slight tangent: Were you at their house for supper? Even if you don't give a flying rat's ass about their beliefs, it is a sign of respect to bow your head at the table during prayer. Again, even if you don't give a shit. [This applies only if you were at their table. If they came over to your house, different story.]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

View PostKYA, on 05 July 2010 - 07:05 AM, said:

I didn't have a drop yesterday. Got up early and ran this morning. I'm getting tired of making such good life choices.

Slight tangent: Were you at their house for supper? Even if you don't give a flying rat's ass about their beliefs, it is a sign of respect to bow your head at the table during prayer. Again, even if you don't give a shit. [This applies only if you were at their table. If they came over to your house, different story.]

You're welcome to your tangent, but you come deal with my family for a while. I imagine you would change your opinion. We're talking down south southern baptist people here. My wife's family? If they were to pray I probably would bow my head. I just can't show respect for my families beliefs, sorry. And we weren't at a table, we were outside.

This post has been edited by Christoph: 05 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

Some of my extended family like to hold hands during prayer right before supper. I think that's a bit over the top, but I do it anyway because it's the right thing to do and I'm at their house.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

I'll hold hands when they do that. I just don't bow my head.

And why should I respect theirs when they don't respect mine? Should it go both ways? Why do I always have to compromise for the religious? What makes their beliefs more important than mine?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

You're projecting. I never said whatever you think/believe isn't important. I merely said that, while at their house, you should respect their wishes. If they do not reciprocate when at your house, then it's on them. You should do the right thing regardless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Ok, well since my grandfather talked to my wife on our front porch and sent her back inside our house in tears the day before the wedding because he made sure to tell her that we were going to hell because we don't believe in god and our marriage will definitely not last because we don't believe in god.

My crazy uncle has come over the past two times he was down to pray with us because we were lost, even when we told him that we appreciate the concern but there is no need for it, he sat in our living room praying for these two lost souls.

My brother/uncle and his wife have come over and scolded me for a blog post I made (when I had a blog, this was YEARS ago) when I never gave my family the link to my blog, because they thought I was insulting the WHOLE family because I posted about what I believed was screwing this country in the ass and religion was a part of it.

My mother has come over COUNTLESS times just to show me some new crock of shit that she believes proves god exists and when I try to explain how it doesn't really have anything to do with god at all she makes sure to tell me that I'll see the light someday and come back to god.

That's a few examples. My wife's family? They think mine is crazy after meeting them (they kept going on about god and how we need to be saved to them), her family doesn't give a rats ass that we don't believe in god, they haven't mentioned it once and we never talk about religion, it's just family getting together and enjoying family.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, always have. It's just when they act like this I can't be around them.

This post has been edited by Christoph: 05 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 skyhawk133  Icon User is online

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

I drove up to Denver with my wife to see my best friend and his girlfriend for the weekend. We went to see the Body World exhibit at the Denver Science Museum, did some high speed go karting (had to wear a fire suit, gloves, helmet), went to the Denver aquarium, and watched 2 separate fireworks displays Sat and Sun night.

Didn't drink much... few beers. Certainly not enough for a hangover, or even a good buzz for that matter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

@christoph: There comes a point where you have to have fun with this. Dress up as Satan and run around terrorizing the family, or something as the sort. You know it would be funny as hell. ;)

@skyhawk133: I didn't know that supersloth was on the run from the immigration police. Or maybe he just wants to be closer to Canada for those drug runs. Gotta keep the senior citizens on their meds and the Social Security money coming in, I guess.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 05 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Oh trust me, we've thought about it. My wife was so pissed one time she wanted to get grass killer and put a pentagram in my grandparents yard.

We wouldn't ever do anything of the sort though, I don't intentionally try to piss of my family.

But I've had some crazy idears.

We upset the family because we wanted to take the kids out to a pumpkin patch for halloween to pick out pumpkins and make jack-o-laterns. They got upset because we were trying to get the kids involved in "Satan's holiday". What the fuck does a pumpkin have to do with Satan?

This post has been edited by Christoph: 05 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

Ok, here's what you say to them. Start by sitting them down, then say ever so nicely:

Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, we don't believe in <insert divine entity here>. I know you all don't approve of this, but I don't give a flying fuck. So you all can either a- shut the fuck up and deal with it, or b- not have anything to do with us. Your choice.

If I had to bet, they'll pick option c and hire an exorcist, at which point you can have them all institutionalized. ;)

Honestly, my parents don't agree with my beliefs here either. But it's gotten to the point where my mom goes to church to get her spirituality, but understands that I don't want anything to do with her religious affiliation or my dad's religious affiliation, and we have a better relationship for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Been there, said that... well, something along those lines. It doesn't matter to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

Interesting tangent, holding hands, bowing your head, etc, are all pagan traditions of prayer that were added by primarily by emperor Constantine of rome, along with the idea of 'church buildings', which never existed before his reign and a few other weird things like the auditorium-layout with the raised pulpit that the preacher speaks from- these were all pagan things that were added to give the 'new faith' a sense of credibility with mainstream society at the time.

Try pointing that out to them, and say "I won't bow my head when I pray because I'm not a pagan".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »