3 Replies - 2962 Views - Last Post: 07 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How did you learn your programming language?

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

First a little backstory:

I have always wanted to learn C++ in a school environment. I figure that it would be more efficient and it would be good to have a teacher to ask all your questions to. The one problem is that there is two programming classes at my school. A level 1 and level 2 of a class taught in Real Basic and a little HTML. Even thought this isn't the language I have chosen to learn, I thought it would be a good experience. Because throughout all languages there is the same concept, for the most part. So I went to my guidance counselor and asked her to sign me up for the programming class. She then informed me that you need at least 10 people to sign up for a class for it to be taught that year, and that I am the only one that signed up. So unless I could get 9 other people to sign up with me, I couldn't take the class. I only know about 3 other people that are my "programming friends". So I gave up on that, and started teaching myself. I have come a long way since then and taught myself via books, .pdf's, websites(like d.i.c), and YouTube tutorials. I have learned the basics and quite a bit of the more advanced topics.

So now a question, How did you learn your programming language?

Was it self-taught, or did you take a class? What methods did you use?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How did you learn your programming language?

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: How did you learn your programming language?

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Self-taught. Mostly to figure out stuff on my own for my own websites back in the 90s. Didn't really take any formal computer classes until almost a decade later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

I joined FIRST robotics, and started on software. We use C++ on our robot so, that helped a lot. The software lead (who is my friend) taught me a lot about it. I took an intro class this year (which was easy cause my friend taught me quickly). This year I'm going into a data structures class, and can help program the robot competently :D.

I also self taught myself HTML, CSS, Javascript, and other web-development languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

My first language was BASIC in the 80's when the first Radio Shack TRS-80 came out. I was in high school and our science teacher bought one complete with cassette tape drive for storing programs, and a book of BASIC applications. I fell in love with this magic box. I came into to school an hour early every day to type in programs from the book. Once one was done I could run it. Then I could see what it did, recognize certain things from what I typed etc. and began to understand how the language worked.

Then came owning a Commodore VIC-20, then Commodore 64 and some assembly language... Then high school graduation... Then the US Army and a complete halt to computers for years... then C++... then C#.

All self taught. The rest as they say is history.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1