• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 16431 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Basic vs. Java

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Don't want to disappoint you but according to Steve McConnel Code Complete Second Edition Mycrosoft Press
for the first time in 200x (5 or 6) VB beated Cobol as far as number of lines of code taking the first rank that Cobol was holding for more than 20 years.
Cobol is still good second.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Java
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Considering how long COBOL has been around, that is an accomplishment. I took COBOL in high school and university, that was late 80s and early 90s. Wish I had continued with it. There is still a lot of code out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 07 July 2010 - 04:41 PM, said:

Considering how long COBOL has been around, that is an accomplishment. I took COBOL in high school and university, that was late 80s and early 90s. Wish I had continued with it. There is still a lot of code out there.

and lot of jobs ... when I am broke I just do a 6 months Cobol contract and then go back to my love Java.
and wait in 9999 when we will pass to a 5 digits date format Cobol programmers will made a fortune :D but I won't be there
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

I can program in COBOL but I always have to take a shower afterwords... its just kind of ikky.

I find it funny that the OP is comparing Java with VB. Professionally I meet more C# programmers out there than I do VB and I think that if you were to look at the .Net platform as a whole you would find it to be much more popular the Java. Personally I prefer Java, but mostly because I think that .not is a clear ripoff and I despise .nettified javaisms. Personal prejudice aside, .Net has had the benefit of learning from all of Java's mistakes and so in many ways it really is a better platform -- if you like wintel (which I do)..... I'll just go over here and shoot myself now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 07 July 2010 - 02:42 PM, said:

I find Java super easy to use. Maybe it's just the API and easy documentation, but I love it. I wished I could find C++ documentation as good as Javas. ((I haven't seen it)).

Java has the advantage of having a huge standard library, having basically one implementation that everyone uses, and having standardized documentation tools (eg. javadoc). I've looked at a lot of documentation for different languages and I like Java's the best, with PHP following close behind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 07 July 2010 - 10:16 AM, said:

<off-topic>
I've tried so many times to get into using Java and just cannot get myself excited about it (which is really weird since the syntax is no much like C#, my favorite development language)

C# offers quite a bit more than Java does in the feature area. Especially functional programming-related stuff. Of course, Java is apparently getting closures and anonymous functions in Java 7, but C# has had them for a while.

That said, C# is on the .NET platform, which is really a moodkiller. Not because the platform is necessarily bad, but because it's Microsoft Windows-ware-and-you-can't-have-it.

So, I take the less traveled route and choose the JVM as my favorite development platform, and use more modern alternative JVM languages.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 08 July 2010 - 12:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

View PostNickDMax, on 07 July 2010 - 08:50 PM, said:

... Professionally I meet more C# programmers out there than I do VB ...

That's because people are ashamed to admit it ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 07 July 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

<off-topic>
I've tried so many times to get into using Java and just cannot get myself excited about it (which is really weird since the syntax is no much like C#, my favorite development language)

I would totally consider using C# for developing desktop and other non-web applications, but when it comes to web apps I need to be able to use a Linux server, so it has to be Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +