8 Replies - 2281 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning Photoshop for Web Design advice needed

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

I am new to Web design and Development, and while i am working on coding right now, i am also very interested in incorporating Photoshop and Illustrator in my designs. I am working toward becoming more familiar with these programs interfaces and was hoping someone here could point me toward a "thorough" beginner level tutorial or instruction.. book even, that is intended for web design directly rather that just image manipulation. I've seen site designs created within Photoshop which is what i would like to begin learning. My searches have come up very limited which is why i have come here for help. To be completely honest, i'm not sure what to search for. Forgive my ignorance.

I am utilizing the Photoshop tutorials here on the site and they have been helpful for making graphics. Although i am yet to learn how to utilize the CS5 suite as a bundle to develop and manage my designs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning Photoshop for Web Design advice needed

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning Photoshop for Web Design advice needed

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

Soooooooo something like this?

http://psd.tutsplus....n-from-scratch/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Programs like photoshop come down to just trying things out. That's done through tutorials. Each new tutorial offers (usually) a new technique that produces a particular result. Learn the techniques then learn to use them together to make your own styles. It would seem you simply haven't done enough tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

If anything I'd heavily recommend learning Fireworks and Illustrator as well, it's something that I regret not doing when I started out as I have to go all the way back and relearn them instead of being able to use them at about the same level. If you intend to go far in web design I'd get flash down as well.

If anything I'm trying to shy away from Photoshop in web design and more to Fireworks/Illustrator because of their vector formats and the fact that Fireworks was made for Web Design whereas Photoshop was made for Photos and editing (and digital art that'd be far too complex to justify on a web site)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

Learning Adobe Photoshop is first step for learning Graphic designing.
Adobe Photoshop plays an important role in creating different kinds of design which you want to create easily.
i suggest to you that, please learn the photoshop if you want to become a good Graphic designer.
OK.......
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

Personally I found the best way to learn vector graphics was through tutorials I found on youtube. With graphic software there's not a lot that can beat watching someone else do it! Also, I found Inkscape to be much easier to learn than Illustrator, fwiw.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I think I understand what you are trying to learn. It's not all about the software program interface, but also about a workflow. If you know that you are going to use common elements in your designs, then you might want to start there.

If you look on most of the quality web/graphic sites, you should be able to find something to suit your needs.

One of my favorites is "smashing magazine". It seems as if they cover just about anything you might be interested in. "Web design ledger" is cool too. Here is a resource I just found in one of my link bins, that will probably be over kill at this point - but here you go.

Hope that is enough to get you started :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Overall though I'd seriously consider learning traditional drawing techniques because if you can't create a design on paper effectively then photoshop/anything else will be a royal pain to use. Master the art of the pen and pencil and it'll be significantly easier in the long run, I can attest to this as I had to back track a few years after I started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

View PostLemur, on 26 July 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

If anything I'd heavily recommend learning Fireworks and Illustrator as well, it's something that I regret not doing when I started out as I have to go all the way back and relearn them instead of being able to use them at about the same level. If you intend to go far in web design I'd get flash down as well.

If anything I'm trying to shy away from Photoshop in web design and more to Fireworks/Illustrator because of their vector formats and the fact that Fireworks was made for Web Design whereas Photoshop was made for Photos and editing (and digital art that'd be far too complex to justify on a web site)

Agreed. I regret "mastering" Photoshop and ignoring Illustrator and Fireworks. Currently I use Illustrator but I think the next website I design will be in fireworks as I now understand why it is good for website design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1