how to start c++

how to know c++

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 3149 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2010 - 05:24 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to start c++

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:53 AM

i find it defficult to understand when ever i been thought c++ even how to sart when am being given a question can you help me out?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to start c++

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to start c++

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

It can be difficult at first. Best thing to do is read some books or e-books on C++ programming for beginners. There are many tutorials found on this site for beginners and they tend to be quite concise and helpful. They can be found Here

Also a Cheat Sheet has been provided for easy reference to get beginners going. You can find that here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

If you're just starting out, it's normal that you find difficulties of this type.
What you've to do is to not give up and continue trying until you succeed.

Start learning C++ from a good book(C++ Books), try to understand well each concept and it's sample code. Do not advance until you understand well all the basics.
Practice a lot applying what you've learned and try to come up with a solution to each of your assignments.
In case you're stuck, ask here with your code and we can help you out. You can also learn a lot by looking into others code, but it's not advised to copy.

Finally start thinking as a programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

** Title changed to be more descriptive **

Learning to program means learning to solve problems given the current computing language (I would not call that an exact definition but it works here). So the first step is to begin to pick out logical ideas and basic syntax of the language. The next step is beginning to see "programming structures" or "patterns" and understanding what they do and why they are done. For example C/C++ has several kinds of loops (for, while, do-while) and each has a purpose - all of these loops can be done with just a while-loop, but we break these up into 3 different loops to simplify common patterns in iteration.

Each control structure (if, if-else, switch, for, while, do-while, break, continue, goto, and a function call) has certain patterns associated with its usage and as a beginner you need to start examining those patterns and understand how they work and why they are used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

Learning a programming language can be difficult at first, especially if it is your first one.
Two books that I really found helpfull when learning C++ were: C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition by Stephen Prata, as well as a more recent book: Absolute C++ 4th, by Savitch. I still use both of these books as references whenever I need them. Both of them have plenty of examples and excercies, and I find that they explain the material really clearly. (Infact, the second book was actually a textbook that was used in one of my university courses).

L.N
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

You probably shouldn't learn C++ as your first programming language, maybe learn an easier language, then come back to C++ with the basics of programming down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

View Postaomrusta, on 08 July 2010 - 01:53 AM, said:

i find it defficult to understand when ever i been thought c++ even how to sart when am being given a question can you help me out?

You should start with some good books. Why don't you stat from "Programming Principles and Practice using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup. Its a great book, it starts from the basic and goes to higher level. There are many examples as well as questions are there for you to practice. The most important thing is that if you start following this book never stop till you finish this book, it will take around three to four month, basically depend on you.
One thing I must tell you that C++ is easy language to learn, provided that you start from the basic, Please don't skip any chapter. And you are not required to know C or any other Programming language.

Good Luck.... for you C++ venture.....and please let me know once you start learning C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

View PostEclipse Reborn, on 08 July 2010 - 05:11 PM, said:

You probably shouldn't learn C++ as your first programming language, maybe learn an easier language, then come back to C++ with the basics of programming down.
If the OP wants to learn C++ then learning another language first is only really going to waste time. Learning to program in another language means both learning the syntax of another language (which won't apply to C++), learning the limitations/quirks of that language (which again won't apply to C++) and also learning the idioms, habits, best-practices, and problem solving techniques of that other language too (again, these almost certainly won't apply to C++).

In short, if you start out with another language as a 'stepping stone' you'll be right back at Square one when you finally do move to C++, because everything will be different - in fact, you might even be worse off since it can be harder to 'un learn' techniques which you pick up from other languages than simply to start off with no preconceptions whatsoever.

This pretty much applies to anyone learning any kind of language; You certainly wouldn't start out learning french as a stepping stone to learning Italian, the same applies equally to computer languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

View PostBench, on 08 July 2010 - 09:54 AM, said:

View PostEclipse Reborn, on 08 July 2010 - 05:11 PM, said:

If the OP wants to learn C++ then learning another language first is only really going to waste time. Learning to program in another language means both learning the syntax of another language (which won't apply to C++), learning the limitations/quirks of that language (which again won't apply to C++) and also learning the idioms, habits, best-practices, and problem solving techniques of that other language too (again, these almost certainly won't apply to C++).

In short, if you start out with another language as a 'stepping stone' you'll be right back at Square one when you finally do move to C++, because everything will be different - in fact, you might even be worse off since it can be harder to 'un learn' techniques which you pick up from other languages than simply to start off with no preconceptions whatsoever.

This pretty much applies to anyone learning any kind of language; You certainly wouldn't start out learning french as a stepping stone to learning Italian, the same applies equally to computer languages.

You don't learn to program in a day, and I meant only as a backup plan, if he can't fully grasp C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

i have done vb at colege and am at a university doing c++ thereafter i will have to do java. in short i just have to learn c++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1