2 Replies - 7785 Views - Last Post: 10 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Validating companies for jobs online

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

For a while now Ive been looking for work on the most common places online like craigslist, careerbuilder, monster etc.. and have had some shady responses from "employers". Some want you to fill out applications online including your credit report and other information that to me seem privacy compromising. Previously, I got an email from a company called First Financial HR about my resume from a job I posted on from monster.com and it turned out to be a scam. Found this at ripoffreport.com. I just recently received an email for an interview for another job but it said I had to bring in a copy of my credit report. Is this normal for a IT help desk analyst position? They claim its because every employee gets a company card.

I try to use things like google and ripoffreport.com to look for bogus companies/jobs but feel it isn't good enough. Of course, instincts are best. I think its pretty sad how its hard enough to get a job nowadays but now people are subjected to this shit as well..

**Just noticed I f'd up the title and made online plural :stupid:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Validating companies for jobs online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Validating companies for jobs online

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

A company shouldn't ask for any of that until after the interview/job offer.

*You can edit your title, go to "Full Editor" *
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Re: Validating companies for jobs online

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

View Postshezzy, on 10 July 2010 - 10:33 AM, said:

I just recently received an email for an interview for another job but it said I had to bring in a copy of my credit report. Is this normal for a IT help desk analyst position? They claim its because every employee gets a company card.

Seriously? Who ever heard of a company where everybody gets a credit card? Usually, it's just management, and not even all of them. Sounds more than a little fishy to me.

I'd be wary of anyone who asks you to give them a copy of your credit report. Employee credit screening is becoming somewhat common, but a reputable employer can order the report themselves - they'll just ask you to sign a form granting them permission. Since these background checks cost money, companies tend to wait until after they've decided to hire you to ask for this permission. I suppose it's possible that a legitimate employer might just be too cheap to pay the reporting fees, but that's a bad sign in and of itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1