344 Replies - 45556 Views - Last Post: 30 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Request a Sig/Avatar/Set Thread

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

View PostLemur, on 19 December 2010 - 12:10 AM, said:

...Comic Sans?

NEVER use Comic Sans unless it's for either Comic speech bubbles or young children's material.

I appreciate the hint Lemur, and that is what the font was designed for. But I think it looks nice here. Fonts can be used whenever the hell the designer thinks they look good.

EDIT: even if I agreed with your statement, a big component of the signature is the RUBBER DUCKY, and thus it is a great idea to use a "children's material" font here.

This post has been edited by VulcanDesign: 19 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Not a good idea to try and justify that one, I guarantee not only will you lose but you will look like a fool in doing so.

Comic Sans is the most infamous font available for use, there's no questioning that. Anyone can call themselves a designer, ANYONE. Does that make them one? Hardly. Does that mean they're good and entitled to make calls? No.

Let's put this into perspective: Owning Photoshop makes you as much a designer as some random kid with a stethoscope makes a licensed doctor.
Posted Image

I refuse to acknowledge anyone as a designer that has lack of typographical knowledge necessary to differentiate between a personal vendetta and a wise design choice. Just because you can does not mean you should.

Now if you really want to get into this I could critique half of your signatures to death, I do not consider them to be designs. I consider them to be gradients with some random text slapped on. If a business teacher can make the same thing and call it art then it's no where near a design.

Let's go into some detail here:

Posted Image

You have a simple (default) gradient background with Comic Sans as a font and a single render that wasn't really even your idea to use. 5-10 minutes max, not a design. It looks like something that we would have made in 7th grade with a teacher that knows nothing of Photoshop mechanics.

Now I'm not exactly trying to be a jerk, but making a statement like Comic Sans is justifiable deserves swift and immediate reprimand, especially when the person claims to be a designer. You have a long ways to go before I would consider you to be a designer. Read up on design and color theory, take some art classes, and for the love of god look into typography lessons...

Good design is transparent, you don't notice it. Bad design sticks out like a sore thumb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:04 AM

I'm trying to think of a way that could have sounded more arrogant...nope...nothing coming.

My design sticks out like a sore thumb? It was a design that I made that was SUPPOSED to stick out. I'm sure it can use improvement, but I like it, and apparently Dogstopper likes it, and that's all that really matters here.

Having read some of your other posts as well, I have an idea. Instead of nastily criticizing other people's work, please contribute constructive comments in a NICE MANNER without the nasty holier-than-thou attitude, or go design awesomely-incredible-better-than-anything designs for your clients, and leave people who are not as godly as you to have some fun.

EDIT: also, whether it is bad or not is a matter of opinion, and I fail to see how your opinion matters here.

If you were actually trying to be helpful there, I appreciate the sentiment.

This post has been edited by VulcanDesign: 19 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

View PostLemur, on 19 December 2010 - 05:21 PM, said:

Not a good idea to try and justify that one, I guarantee not only will you lose but you will look like a fool in doing so.

Lemur, if I were given advice like that, I wouldn't pay any attention.
Watch your delivery. Even if someone makes a so-called 'nooby' mistake, it gives NO excuse for you to deliver a tirade like that. Ever.
This is a place for constructive critique, not tirades like that.

Dogstopper is happy with the design, so your point is moot.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Whenever they put something like that up and call it design is crossing the line. I would have been nicer if he hadn't made the crack about designers can use whatever the hell font they want because it looks good. You can downrep me all you want for this and the other post, but the point still stands that anyone that picks up photoshop can make something like that.

A moot point is one that has no arguable base, which in this case there is. The case for argument is the use of a generally bad font and bad design practices that needs to be addressed. If someone doesn't say something other than it's amazing then no one will ever get anywhere. I absolutely hate to be told my work looks amazing by everyone I ask opinions from, it gets nothing done and does nothing but boost my ego which I do not need. You're doing yourself no favors by taking offense to anyone that doesn't like your work.

I'm calling him out because it seems that no one else will on these things and that's not good for any artist. The signature he made dogstopper follows almost every cliche in line and is considered by seasoned professionals to be completely taboo. The only worse thing you can do is insist it's a stylistic thing and no one else can tell you how to make art/design. Bad design is still bad design. Every article I have ever read on the subject of what not to do has mentioned Comic Sans and default gradients, as well as the use of layer effects.

Now the reason for the above post is your statement that designers can use whatever the hell font they want which is the absolute worst thing you can say. It sounds lazy, it is lazy, and it's tacky. There's no faster way to set me off than to use bad design then try and defend it with personal preference. No one is above standards, and only when you master them can you know how to break them. It doesn't happen in the matter of a year or two, it takes decades.

I'm warning you before you make the mistake of patting yourself on the back for something that you shouldn't be. Improve, don't stagnate. Look back on your work from 1-2 years ago and tell me, honestly, was it really all that good? With time comes experience and with experience prowice. Start reading design blogs and tutorials and find someone more experienced to review your work or it'll never improve.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

:o This was supposed to be a fun thread where people ask for help and anybody can take a shot at it. No offence, but that did look a little tacky, but Dogstopper liked it, so I guess it's all good? I would take Lemur's advice, though. Comic Sans is... well... special. XD
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Nice little war you two have going, but I just wanted to show you guys this.
Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Whenever the general opinion is its bad practice, and that's from professionals and all over every recognizable blog and design site, I would strongly suggest you listen...

Justcreativedesign, Smashing Magazines, Envato, and numerous other large name design sites all say the exact same thing: It's bad practice and even worse design. If professionals far above any of our levels are saying that, would it not be in your best interest to listen to them?

What you're doing is attempting to excuse bad design with lack of experience. ANYONE can make good design, it can be learned. Art is a talent not many have. There is no excuse for that, and this isn't a holy inquisition. If you spend 10 minutes in Photoshop with little effort it will LOOK like you spent 10 minutes in photoshop with little effort. You get back what you put in and if you don't put in you won't get anywhere.

If you want to improve spend time and take pride in your work, don't just slap something together and call it fun. I guarantee you'll have more "fun" if you spend time and actually put your soul behind your work.

I'm annoyed with you because you didn't do that, you were lazy and refuse to admit that is the case. I have never chewed someone for giving their all in a piece, and trust me when I say I can tell. Have pride in your work or it will most certainly come back to bite you.

...and really, quit editing hoping I won't notice and just post a reply. Trust me when I say I could be a lot harsher on this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:52 PM

I never argued that Comic Sans was a good design font. I don't claim to be a designer. I just really don't agree with the delivery of your point.
So what if he only put 10 minutes into it? Did he claim to be an awesome designer? Did he say he'd spend ages on it? He took the initiative to make something like the original (which didn't have a huge amount of effort in it anyway), he used a font that fit the design, even if it's 'taboo', and the client likes it. It's not like the client paid for it, in which case I could better understand your response. This is an all-comers make something and person takes what they like.

I'm not arguing about whether it's 'design'. I'm not arguing that my work is 'design'. Not all people have to have 'design'. Heck, it my sig 'design'?

If you react that easily to him for saying those few things, (which would be true for a 'designer' of HIS LEVEL), I'd hate to see someone trolling you. I mean, this is the internet, and such things always happen, no?
I'm not saying he's a troll, but I'm saying that you're just opening yourself up for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

Lets keep this thread civil guys. Like NeoTifa said this is for fun so lets try and keep it that way.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:44 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 20 December 2010 - 07:24 PM, said:

Lets keep this thread civil guys. Like NeoTifa said this is for fun so lets try and keep it that way.

Agreed. I promise to shut my mouth now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 20 December 2010 - 11:24 AM, said:

Yep. This has definitely spun way off course. Lemur, although the delivery was pretty nasty, I get what you're saying and I agree with it for the most part, thank you for the well-intended input. I don't claim to be a professional designer, I was just doing that for fun, and in the future, I will remember to stay away from Comic Sans.

By the way, I was using Illustrator for that signature, as I had to reinstall Photoshop.

Cheers!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:22 AM

everyone stfu

I need a new avatar.

Visually appealing

no comic sans

I want it to be rather, oh what's the word.... Fun and childish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

I'd really like a sig with 'hobbes'(the tiger) from calvin and hobbes in it. Then maybe with my name 'Dean_Grobler'.. It would be so cool :santa:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• kitties == adorable

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

Oh about this, i thought it went with your signature.

I cut the background out of the original picture and made it transparent.
Attached Image

and in this one i cut out every thing except safety bear.

Attached Image

@Dean_Grobler I'll see what i can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (23 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »