2 Replies - 3134 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

• HAL9000 was an Apple product
  • member icon

• View blog

Cryptology Puzzles

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thought it would be fun to start a cryptology challenge. A couple rules:
1. Encrypted text must contain a large enough sample of encrypted characters. 30 character minimum sounds reasonable.
2. The encryption must be accomplished through the use of a somewhat predictable (and thereby crackable) algorithm. What I mean by this is that ciphers such as the one-time pad, in which each character is replaced by combining it with a completely random character, must be disallowed as these can't be solved without access to the original pad, and would be no fun to anyone.
3. This thread is meant to be fun, so after posting the encrypted text, please specify what type of encryption was used. You don't need to be too specific - e.g.: Caesar Cipher, Viginére, etc... Just give some idea of what methods to try to use in decoding it.
4. Again, to keep it simple enough to be fun, please only encode alphabetic characters. Skip spaces, punctuation, etc, and encrypt capital and lowercase to the same character.

To start:
CAEII CQROZ KHBVI LHQTI OEAAV VNIWC QRRRT IRJGE YNPHK RCVMB XIFZC RMNSY OVPXO AFGIE KSIFX SZHOI CSHSF TQXHR PPCEG BLKZB

This was encrypted using the Viginére Cipher with a 4-character keyword.

Replies To: Cryptology Puzzles

• The Leafiest of the Leif's
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cryptology Puzzles

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:53 AM

Okay this should be fun.

4dbcb561

It's CRC32B Encoded, and is also the product of another hash algorithm - not telling though :D

Have fun fun XD

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cryptology Puzzles

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

View Postxor-logic, on 11 July 2010 - 05:38 PM, said:

To start:
CAEII CQROZ KHBVI LHQTI OEAAV VNIWC QRRRT IRJGE YNPHK RCVMB XIFZC RMNSY OVPXO AFGIE KSIFX SZHOI CSHSF TQXHR PPCEG BLKZB

This was encrypted using the Viginére Cipher with a 4-character keyword.

Month-old revival? I managed to solve this one, with a few lucky guesses. Poe fan?

I might try to come up with one at some point...

This post has been edited by guahguahmonster: 18 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

Page 1 of 1