Java Math and Physics Book Reccomendations

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 3394 Views - Last Post: 16 July 2010 - 11:06 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Math and Physics Book Reccomendations

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hey Everyone , i am new to Java programming ,actually i had not majored in CS when i were in the University , yeah it's beside the point , i dont have strong mathatical background ,so please help me find some good book in Math & Physics in Java .

Thank you
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Math and Physics Book Reccomendations

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java Math and Physics Book Reccomendations

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Title edited to be more descriptive. Please respect rule #4 of this forum. "Java novice (help)" is not a descriptive title, as it covers more than 85% of the posts in this forum.

If you don't know any Java, I'd start with some introductory level materials, then move up. I know from experience Mathematical modeling can be difficult and troublesome, especially if you aren't familiar with a language. If you want some practice math problems, take a look Project Euler.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 12 July 2010 - 08:16 AM, said:

Title edited to be more descriptive. Please respect rule #4 of this forum. "Java novice (help)" is not a descriptive title, as it covers more than 85% of the posts in this forum.

If you don't know any Java, I'd start with some introductory level materials, then move up. I know from experience Mathematical modeling can be difficult and troublesome, especially if you aren't familiar with a language. If you want some practice math problems, take a look Project Euler.

I am not quite new to Java , i am about to wrape up studying " Head first Java 2nd Edition " , I am studying Data Structures in addition ,

sorry about descriptive title , won't occur once again .

thanks for your time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

mathisfun.org covers basic math concepts. >_>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

If you want to improve your math, then you should work on your math and not your programming for now.. when you get the math down, you could use Java or any programming language to help you write mathematical algorithms. If you want math book recommendations, then that really depends on what you already know, and it also depends on which area of math you want to work on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

Great link Mac, I'll do some just for fun :)

" i am new to Java programming ,actually i had not majored in CS when i were in the University"

"I am not quite new to Java "

Oh the contradictions...:P

If you have a weak mathematical background and need help there, this is not the place. This is for programming. If you have a weak mathematical background and need help with a program relating to that, I suggest you get the mathematical portion down first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Actually, depending on the field of math and programming, the two can be very interrelated. If you are hitting hard on Calculus and Physics, I'd bet you're going into some Game Programming. If you are hitting more on Discrete Math (Graph Theory, Number Theory, Set Theory, etc.), you could be doing a wide number of things including data structures. So the two aren't mutually exclusive.

If the math is more a homework-help type question, the Student Campus forum may be more appropriate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

View Postbcranger, on 12 July 2010 - 10:36 AM, said:

Great link Mac, I'll do some just for fun :)

" i am new to Java programming ,actually i had not majored in CS when i were in the University"

"I am not quite new to Java "

Oh the contradictions...:P

If you have a weak mathematical background and need help there, this is not the place. This is for programming. If you have a weak mathematical background and need help with a program relating to that, I suggest you get the mathematical portion down first.

i have been studying java for 5 months , i am still new to Java , I am not asking for help with mathematical problems , all i asked for is recommending some good physics and math. books that might help me grow up in Java , there is no need making fun of people , keep your tongue inside .

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

No one is making fun my friend. Welcome to DIC! As far as Physics goes, Mac has a good article or two in his blog and Google covers everything else. Textbooks are so outdated these days :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

View Postrealsilhouette, on 12 July 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

i have been studying java for 5 months , i am still new to Java , I am not asking for help with mathematical problems , all i asked for is recommending some good physics and math. books that might help me grow up in Java , there is no need making fun of people , keep your tongue inside .

thanks

It wasn't anyone's intention to make fun of you, nor do I believe that bcranger came across that way. His point is valid, though; if you know your Java and you know your Math and Physics, applying them in a Java program shouldn't be that much of a stretch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Sorry if I gave you the impression I was ridiculing you, I did not mean to offend you in any way :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

View PostLuckless, on 12 July 2010 - 05:13 PM, said:

No one is making fun my friend. Welcome to DIC! As far as Physics goes, Mac has a good article or two in his blog and Google covers everything else. Textbooks are so outdated these days :bigsmile:

Actually, they are tutorials I wrote for the Game Programming Tutorials section, on Math Modeling in Gaming, mainly applications of Calculus. Links:
http://www.dreaminco...me-programming/
http://www.dreaminco...-ii-2d-gravity/
http://www.dreaminco...iii-3d-gravity/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

View Postmostyfriedman, on 12 July 2010 - 10:01 AM, said:

If you want to improve your math, then you should work on your math and not your programming for now.. when you get the math down, you could use Java or any programming language to help you write mathematical algorithms. If you want math book recommendations, then that really depends on what you already know, and it also depends on which area of math you want to work on.

well , i know basics about Math & Physics , that i had been studing in high school , i dont remember anything for the time being , so consider as if i have no Physical and Mathematical background , so i guess i would start over , meanwhile i will study java , i dont know actually where i could start , likewise there are tons of physical & mathematical books over there (Algebra - Geometry - topology - number theory - Trigonometry - calculus and analysis - Complex analysis , so on ) physics has several kinds , so i dont have a clue which books would work for me , i wanna study stuff that could help me in java , i am not gonna start a career in Math & Physics , hope you could understand my needs .

Sorry all for misunderstanding .

thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Before you apply them in Java, you need to understand the math and physics, as Java is only a tool. Do you want to do game programming, modeling particle physics, etc.? I think you need to make the calls about math and physics before you start writing code to model them. In my opinion, freshman Calculus and Engineering Physics courses are good places to start, as well as Linear Algebra and Vector Geometry.

Out of curiosity, what specifically do you want to model?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 16 July 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

Before you apply them in Java, you need to understand the math and physics, as Java is only a tool. Do you want to do game programming, modeling particle physics, etc.? I think you need to make the calls about math and physics before you start writing code to model them. In my opinion, freshman Calculus and Engineering Physics courses are good places to start, as well as Linear Algebra and Vector Geometry.

Out of curiosity, what specifically do you want to model?

unspecific models , i just want to be a good Java programmer , i think studying Math & Physics is good approach to my goal , is not it ?

P.s. I hope to be Java developer someday (Web developer).

thanks a bunch .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +