Your MORALS and VALUES!

How were they programmed into your brain?

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

74 Replies - 2637 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2010 - 01:30 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Your MORALS and VALUES!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

If you got into an argument with me IRL, I would gracefully adopt the stance that all my opinions and values were a result of my superior deductive ability, and that your differing views clearly reflect the lack of understanding of objective truth. In general; every opinion I have is a result of my being better, and anyone claiming otherwise is just plain stupid, or uninformed. I almost entered this mode when you guys started debating patriotism, and wanted to jump in belittling every misinformed member who dared to say that a flag was not to be used as a bathroom towel. :gunsmilie:

But let's just pause for a second, and say that my values weren't a result of having logically deduced truths. Let patrioticbehavior = singing national anthems . walking in crowds . raising flags . dressing up . joining parades where patrioticbehavior + conformistAttitudesInGeneral + optimisticOutlook +2kids +dog = HighProbabilityOfGroupBonding

Now, I can think of numerous reasons why group bonding is beneficial. It is a general fact that living in solitude increases risk of depression, heart attacks and suicide, and lowers the chances of getting laid, and there are a multitude of studies linking lotsa sexual intercourse to better health. Being with people improves your life in all of these aspects. Just doing stuff improves life, and creates memories/content, whether it is St.Patrick's day, or some other national day where you go out and have fun.

Then let's not forget the "keep threats out- perspective." In some countries, women are stoned to death, for being raped. They aren't allowed to drive cars. Imagine if such values would gain entry in our western world. As if the car manufacturers weren't outsourcing enuff already!! And could you imagine driving your kids to leisure activities and school and stuff yourself, when your wife could do it for you?

Both the gluing people together, and kicking a-holes out of groups, are solid, rational reasons for being more patriotic.

Still, I can't help but being very anti-patriotic, and I didn't have much wish to associate with fellow countrymen when I studied abroad. As a matter of fact, I would enjoy taking a dump on "my" flag, just to reinforce that feeling of being an outsider. So are we dealing with a case of CPU breakdown, or are we talking bout different OS flavors separating us? What about you? What do you like most about being patriotic/unpatriotic? :flowers:

This post has been edited by monkeyC: 14 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Your MORALS and VALUES!

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Your MORALS and VALUES!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Dogma.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

you lost me two sentences in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Sloth, you had me a hello. Xcept I think you said it more like 'fuck off', but you know, it still applies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

the part where you believe there is an objective truth is where you fail.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

WHAT IS A PATRIOT?? I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS. buuurrp.

I think that's now my post.

--lost me half a paragraph in

This post has been edited by taylorc8: 14 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostmonkeyC, on 14 July 2010 - 07:52 PM, said:

If you got into an argument with me IRL, I would gracefully adopt the stance that all my opinions and values were a result of my superior deductive ability, and that your differing views clearly reflect the lack of understanding of objective truth. In general; every opinion I have is a result of my being better, and anyone claiming otherwise is just plain stupid, or uninformed. I almost entered this mode when you guys started debating patriotism, and wanted to jump in belittling every misinformed member who dared to say that a flag was not to be used as a bathroom towel. :gunsmilie:

But let's just pause for a second, and say that my values weren't a result of having logically deduced truths. Let patrioticbehavior = singing national anthems . walking in crowds . raising flags . dressing up . joining parades where patrioticbehavior + conformistAttitudesInGeneral + optimisticOutlook +2kids +dog = HighProbabilityOfGroupBonding

Now, I can think of numerous reasons why group bonding is beneficial. It is a general fact that living in solitude increases risk of depression, heart attacks and suicide, and lowers the chances of getting laid, and there are a multitude of studies linking lotsa sexual intercourse to better health. Being with people improves your life in all of these aspects. Just doing stuff improves life, and creates memories/content, whether it is St.Patrick's day, or some other national day where you go out and have fun.

Then let's not forget the "keep threats out- perspective." In some countries, women are stoned to death, for being raped. They aren't allowed to drive cars. Imagine if such values would gain entry in our western world. As if the car manufacturers weren't outsourcing enuff already!! And could you imagine driving your kids to leisure activities and school and stuff yourself, when your wife could do it for you?

Both the gluing people together, and kicking a-holes out of groups, are solid, rational reasons for being more patriotic.

Still, I can't help but being very anti-patriotic, and I didn't have much wish to associate with fellow countrymen when I studied abroad. As a matter of fact,
I would enjoy taking a dump on "my" flag, just to reinforce that feeling of being an outsider. So are we dealing with a case of CPU breakdown, or are we talking bout different OS flavors separating us? What about you? What do you like most about being patriotic/unpatriotic? :flowers:

So you are telling us you hate being an outsider but your activities, attitude, and perpetual cycle of bullshit keep you that way so thus you must live up to it? Stellar. Here's your card.

View PostDark_Nexus, on 14 July 2010 - 09:57 PM, said:

the part where you believe there is an objective truth is where you fail.

I would go as far as saying the OP's belief s/he is the end all be all of objective truth - the bar so to speak - is the final fail-nail in that coffin.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 14 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• require_once("brain.php"); //Fatal error :/
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

I stopped reading when it became apparent that the OP was a jackass.

Right about here:

If you got into an argument with me IRL, I would gracefully adopt the stance that all my opinions and values were a result of my superior deductive ability, and that your differing views clearly reflect the lack of understanding of objective truth.

Skimming through randomly it just seems like a bunch of anti-govt anarchist crap that's been repeated countless times already. The Dale Gribble of DIC.

Yours,
Shane~

This post has been edited by ShaneK: 14 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

wait wait wait, anti-=govt anarchist stuff?

I'm in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

View PostShaneK, on 15 July 2010 - 01:54 AM, said:

I stopped reading when it became apparent that the OP was a jackass.

Probably my favorite part of this thread, right here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

Don't feed the trolls.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

To salvage this thread I'd like to discuss a recent accomplishment.

If I concentrate really hard, I can bend my dick backwards and touch it to my asshole.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

lol, wow dark_nexus
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

I think the best part is that this is the OP's 4th post and 1st topic at DIC, come to think of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

I find it funny that if someone doesn't straighten up, tow the line, and abide by your morals and ethics (terms used loosely I assure you) then they're a jackass. I support our troops but in no way shape or form support these wars Bush got us into (Guess that makes me a jackass now too eh) and we need to be out of those countries like yesterday.

I seen someone ridiculed for their thoughts on the American flag and I found it just wrong. There are people who would seem intent to take away peoples rights to their own beliefs, which is one of the cornerstones of this country, one major thing that separates us from all other countries.

There are people who support the Militia (I for one think they should all be shot on sight, but that's just my feelings on it and no amount of ridicule will ever change that). I do not fly a flag outside my home, never have nor will I ever fly one (My father did 2 1/2 tours in Vietnam as a Seal and to this day he does not fly a flag outside his home either). Some take this as me being anti-patriotic but to you who say that you can kiss my fuzzy white ass.

The ones who think they have the right (or should have the right) to take away my rights as a US citizen are no better, in my eyes, than some of the dictators in the history of the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »