7 Replies - 4153 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Certifications

Post icon  Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

POPULAR

Microsoft has announced a new set of entry level certifications, the Microsoft Technology Accosiated (MTA).

The Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certification helps schools teach and validate fundamental technology knowledge, provides students with a foundation for their careers, and helps them gain the confidence they need to succeed in advanced studies. Help your institution stand out with an innovative technology curriculum while offering students an opportunity to earn a Microsoft Certification right in the classroom.

This new certifications may really interest schools & colleges/universities and their students. This new set of certifications contains 7 exams in 2 different categories:

Developer Exams:
  • Software Development Fundamentals
  • Web Development Fundamentals
  • Windows Development Fundamentals
  • Database Fundamentals

IT Professional Exams:
  • Networking Fundamentals
  • Security Fundamentals
  • Windows Server Administration Fundamentals

More on each exam can be found here and an in-depth FAQ here.

If you're a DreamSpark member you can download a complete developer toolkit at the DreamSpark website

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 6
  • +

Replies To: Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Certifications

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Certifications

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

That's really nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Cool
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:08 AM

Nice catch and all, but I see two downsides:

1: in my experience employers do not care about MS certifications. So this would be time wasted which could have been spent learning something useful

2: reinforcing lock-in to Microsoft.

I appreciate MS is the biggy, here, but way back when I did "Microsoft TCP/IP Fundamentals", around about the same time as dinosaurs ruled the earth, I remember noticing that it bore little or no relation to what my real-world job needed, which was network a bunch of disparate technologies together.

I'm kind of of the opinion that schools shouldn't be being "helped" by a corporation which has a vested interest in making sure students only get exposed to its proprietary technologies. At the extreme end, imagine a school sponsored by MS, where IE standards were taught instead of web standards, producing worker drones who use marquee on a daily basis.

Actually, I don't know if the world's already sunk to that. I'm mostly bluster, here.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Employers arent interested in MS Certs? I'm not sure where you are but anywhere I look, mostly Dice and Monster the listings usually have 2 or 3 MS certs for required or preferred skills. Now this is at the bottom of their cert pyramid but it gives people who might be new to IT or looking for a career change a foundation to build on from there.

You have to have the basics(MTA) before you can move to intermediate(MCTS) or advanced(MCITP).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

moopet I think you're completely wrong. A Microsoft certification is one of the few that are recognized by employers. I agree most certifications are crap, but a Microsoft certification, especially when applying for a job utilizing Microsoft technologies, goes a long way towards helping land a position.

EDIT: if you dont have something constructive to add to a thread why even post in it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 17 July 2010 - 04:27 PM, said:

moopet I think you're completely wrong. A Microsoft certification is one of the few that are recognized by employers. I agree most certifications are crap, but a Microsoft certification, especially when applying for a job utilizing Microsoft technologies, goes a long way towards helping land a position.

Fair enough. I wasn't thinking about job listings. Big companies with HR departments who want ticks in boxes will put forward requirements like that. And sure, employers *recognise* these qualifications (in every sense of the term) but from what I've seen, the quicker people can get real-life experience on their CV/resume the better. If they're qualifications you can get as part of your job (where your employer gets something out of it like a business partner deal, for example) then you might as well go for it. Any education is good. But I know at least one company which put applications citing MS certifications to the bottom of the pile specifically because their experience was that the paper qualifications from MS, Cisco, etc accompanied employees who learnt the right answers for the tests and struggled to keep their heads above water when faced with real problems.

I'm not meaning to come across as some kind of authority because I'm clearly not. It's just the way I've seen it and I don't assume I'm the wild exception.

View PostPsychoCoder, on 17 July 2010 - 04:27 PM, said:

EDIT: if you dont have something constructive to add to a thread why even post in it?

Whether my post is constructive or not is not a product of whether or not you agree with me. If I think it's on-topic and believe that I have something to say to the people reading the thread, I'm quite likely to post...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

:unsure: anyone know a site with free practice tests yet?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1