4 Replies - 649 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to begin?

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hi guys, basically i have alot of free time on my hands at the minute since I'm about to move over to New York with my parents and i know it will take my a while to sort out a new life there so with that said i want to basically learn how to develop web templates like those that I've seen all over the Internet, using Css/xhtml.
It's something i really enjoy looking at and thinking about doing and i do have some experience and do know my way around most of the simple coding, one thing that always messes me up though is positioning in css i literally end up putting a position on everything in my code, which i know isn't right. This has been something of interest to me for quite a long time but is just a hobby I'm not looking at making a living from it because it seems like it takes an awful lot of skill and practice to produce designs such as I've seen.

Anyway rambling on, what i want to ask is whats the best place to start?
I can do mild xhtml/css
I can do very limited PHP
I've bought Photoshop to potentially learn that and have been following tutorial to learn how to use that effectively but could probably not yet create images for a nice design.

But yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated, and any questions about what i know/don't know I'll answer also :) thank you for your time!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to begin?

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to begin?

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

To be honest one of the best places to start would be W3Schools.com. There you can learn anything from XHTML, HTML5, CSS, XML and even some server side languages like PHP and ASP.NET.

It's the perfect place for someone just starting out and wanting to do what you're looking to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 18 July 2010 - 09:41 AM, said:

To be honest one of the best places to start would be W3Schools.com. There you can learn anything from XHTML, HTML5, CSS, XML and even some server side languages like PHP and ASP.NET.

It's the perfect place for someone just starting out and wanting to do what you're looking to do.

Crap. You got to this one before me. This website happens to have brilliant tutorials on many web languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

I have w3cschools bookmarked and refer back to it often while doing web development.

Another place that I enjoy checking out from time to time is A List Apart.

And of course there is Css Zen Garden. This website is awesome! Someone created a website (HTML) and they encourage people to modify it using CSS. It is the pinnacle example of what CSS can do to a website. Some of the CSS designs that people have applied to the website are truly inspiring.

-Frinny

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 21 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

If your looking to learn CSS layouts and positioning (amongst the other basics), I highly recommend this book:

(The chapter on creating layouts is shit-hot)

http://www.amazon.co...79700822&sr=8-1

This was the first ever bit of CSS I learned and it helped me well on my way.

I haven't really used W3Schools, but I know it has a great reputation for tutorials and help, so yes check that out also.

This post has been edited by RyanRobinson: 21 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1