Code Stealing

Rightclick web page and click sView Page Source

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

27 Replies - 3427 Views - Last Post: 19 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Poll: Code Stealing (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you steal web page code, if you like/need it and are too lazy to do it on your own.

  1. Yes, I do it very often and as I am into Web development. (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Yes, I do it but occasionally, but I plan to avoid this in future (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  3. Yes I do it but I ask the web page developer for permission or I appreciate his work (1 votes [7.69%])

    Percentage of vote: 7.69%

  4. No never. why the hell should I do it. (12 votes [92.31%])

    Percentage of vote: 92.31%

Vote

#1 singularity  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 17
  • View blog
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 17-October 08

Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

Is it OK to steal a bit of a code when it comes to web development. I am asking about javascript, css and even html or whatever you can. Have you stole any bit of code from a web page and don't bothered to tell the owner of the page or appreciate his work.

Well for me I dont think it is wrong. but I think we should appreciate his work who has done it originally.

By stealing I mean viewing the source code of page and taking appropriate (javascript)scripts and other design stuff (css).

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Code Stealing

#2 TheSoundOfTruth  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 88
  • Joined: 17-September 09

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

It's not stealing. Sharing is caring brother! But it's okay as long as you write some of it yourself and it isn't all the exact same. It's a gray area really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5441
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,673
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

*
POPULAR

The fact that *you* are calling it 'stealing' shows that someplace deep down you know you have crossed the line between studying someone else's code to learn from it, and just plain theft of so much that it can't be considered "just a little bit of code".

There are only so many ways a person can write a 5 line loop to list all the items of an on-line sale. So it is rather natural and to be expected that some things can only be written x number of ways.

But you're listing: javascript, css, HTML and design elements and "whatever you can". Quit trying to minimize what you're doing to us and to yourself. Just say you're cloning the entire site. Changing the names and logos doesn't count as 'Writing some of your own original content.'

As I said, since you are calling it 'stealing' you know the level at which you are doing it is wrong and makes you a thief. We are a group of *coders* who write original code for which we get paid - not priests to absolve you of your sins or tell you some fiction to make you feel better about your actions.

It is a gray area... kind of like cooking. If you experiment with your own recipe to create something "inspired by" another restaurant and the end result has a similar list of ingredients its imitation. If you open a restaurant by copying your neighbor's cookbook page for page then you are a thief.

My thinking is that if this is the kind of thing you do then you are in the wrong job. There is lots of work out there in every industry despite the global economic down turn. If you aren't a CODER then get of the industry rather than give it and yourself a bad reputation. Find something that truly inspires you. Become a cook... market micro-brew beer... become a cabinet maker... sell cars... You'll be a lot happier.

This post has been edited by tlhIn'toq: 19 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 10
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

  • Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

Reputation: 5191
  • View blog
  • Posts: 26,901
  • Joined: 10-May 07

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

I've used right click protect code in Javascript for protecting images from being copied on eBay, but never for websites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

  • Whorediot
  • member icon





Reputation: 2586
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15,618
  • Joined: 24-September 08

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Option 4
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Valek  Icon User is offline

  • The Real Skynet
  • member icon

Reputation: 542
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,713
  • Joined: 08-November 08

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

This is the part where I'd jump in and tell you why it's wrong and whatnot, but tlhIn'toq has already done a beyond satisfactory job of this. I'd suggest re-reading his post.

This post has been edited by Valek: 19 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 sbromley  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 21
  • View blog
  • Posts: 127
  • Joined: 20-May 09

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

Typically I won't copy and paste code just because it isn't in the style I like to write things. Also you probably shouldn't be copy and pasting things if you don't understand exactly how they work. If its the case that you do understand exactly how it works, its probably easier and cleaner to just write it yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Frinavale  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 203
  • View blog
  • Posts: 776
  • Joined: 03-June 10

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:20 AM

*
POPULAR

I've never outright "stole" from someone's website before but when someone has done something that interests me I can't help but use FireBug (or other web developer tools) to take a peak at how they accomplished it.

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 19 July 2010 - 07:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#9 singularity  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 17
  • View blog
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 17-October 08

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

The fact that *you* are calling it 'stealing' shows that someplace deep down you know you have crossed the line between studying someone else's code to learn from it, and just plain theft of so much that it can't be considered "just a little bit of code".


So what would be the better name. Isn't using something developed by other withour his permission stealing. or are web developers too pricky when it comes to refering other peoples codes.

View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

There are only so many ways a person can write a 5 line loop to list all the items of an on-line sale. So it is rather natural and to be expected that some things can only be written x number of ways.



Well said I agreed upon that but again where did this idea come from..

View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

But you're listing: javascript, css, HTML and design elements and "whatever you can". Quit trying to minimize what you're doing to us and to yourself. Just say you're cloning the entire site. Changing the names and logos doesn't count as 'Writing some of your own original content.'


I listed all these technologies as I knew these are the things whose source code you ppl can view normally.

View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

As I said, since you are calling it 'stealing' you know the level at which you are doing it is wrong and makes you a thief. We are a group of *coders* who write original code for which we get paid - not priests to absolve you of your sins or tell you some fiction to make you feel better about your actions.


Again don't take it personally. GIve it a different name. say(w3c programming) is shared among developers. I dont do web development as of now.


View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

My thinking is that if this is the kind of thing you do then you are in the wrong job. There is lots of work out there in every industry despite the global economic down turn. If you aren't a CODER then get of the industry rather than give it and yourself a bad reputation. Find something that truly inspires you. Become a cook... market micro-brew beer... become a cabinet maker... sell cars... You'll be a lot happier.


I am not a professional Web developer, I do it once free as a hobby. Just out of curiosity I wonderd if code is visible cant other people reuse it withour asking for permission.


I think you people are offended by this thread. My apologies to all web developers who are offended..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is offline

  • Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

Reputation: 5441
  • View blog
  • Posts: 11,673
  • Joined: 02-June 10

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

If only one person took your comment in a different way than everyone else, then it would be the reader.
If everyone who has responded, has interpreted your comments in the same manner as each other, then it is the writer who is unable to convey what they want - or is back peddling in an effort to stay out of hot water.

Giving it a name other than 'stealing' doesn't change the action or the intent behind it. Call it "snarglefutting" if it helps you delude yourself as to the nature of the crime and helps you sleep better at night. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", and "A fart by any other name would still stink up the elevator."

If you republish a book by a different title with your name as the author it is plagorizing/stealing.
If you republish a website by copying all the code it still isn't your work.

I've said my piece. I'm unsubscribing from this thread now.

This post has been edited by tlhIn'toq: 19 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 singularity  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 17
  • View blog
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 17-October 08

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 01:36 PM, said:

If only one person took your comment in a different way than everyone else, then it would be the reader.
If everyone who has responded, has interpreted your comments in the same manner as each other, then it is the writer who is unable to convey what they want - or is back peddling in an effort to stay out of hot water.

Giving it a name other than 'stealing' doesn't change the action or the intent behind it. Call it "snarglefutting" if it helps you delude yourself as to the nature of the crime and helps you sleep better at night. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", and "A fart by any other name would still stink up the elevator."

If you republish a book by a different title with your name as the author it is plagorizing/stealing.
If you republish a website by copying all the code it still isn't your work.

I've said my piece. I'm unsubscribing from this thread now.


Well I know understood you are the only one who is offended. Good that now you are copying Frinavale's idea. Now I can roughly assume your coding style. It is better that you are now unsubscribing from this thread. truth is bitter.

leave this thread for honest opinions without your jargon and chaotic replies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 raziel_  Icon User is offline

  • Like a lollipop
  • member icon

Reputation: 464
  • View blog
  • Posts: 4,255
  • Joined: 25-March 09

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

well i think you dont understand what Frinavale say. she take a look how they do it not copy paste it. on other hand if your not opened for comments why do you start this thread any way
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 modi123_1  Icon User is online

  • Suitor #2
  • member icon



Reputation: 8957
  • View blog
  • Posts: 33,584
  • Joined: 12-June 08

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

View Postsingularity, on 19 July 2010 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PosttlhIn, on 19 July 2010 - 01:36 PM, said:

If only one person took your comment in a different way than everyone else, then it would be the reader.
If everyone who has responded, has interpreted your comments in the same manner as each other, then it is the writer who is unable to convey what they want - or is back peddling in an effort to stay out of hot water.

Giving it a name other than 'stealing' doesn't change the action or the intent behind it. Call it "snarglefutting" if it helps you delude yourself as to the nature of the crime and helps you sleep better at night. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", and "A fart by any other name would still stink up the elevator."

If you republish a book by a different title with your name as the author it is plagorizing/stealing.
If you republish a website by copying all the code it still isn't your work.

I've said my piece. I'm unsubscribing from this thread now.


Well I know understood you are the only one who is offended. Good that now you are copying Frinavale's idea. Now I can roughly assume your coding style. It is better that you are now unsubscribing from this thread. truth is bitter.

leave this thread for honest opinions without your jargon and chaotic replies.


Ah.. what "truth" is bitter?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Frinavale  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 203
  • View blog
  • Posts: 776
  • Joined: 03-June 10

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

I've never stolen code before (I stated this earlier); however, I do use tools like FireBug to take a look at how someone accomplished something that is intrigues me. From the code I can see the logic or techniques they used to do whatever it is that intrigued me.

I've never copy/pasted any code (that isn't my own) because I always strive to understand. Copy/paste is not going to help me gain that understanding.

Besides, why would you want to steal someone's Javascript/CSS/HTML when there are Javascript libraries like JQuery there to support you...or when there are sites like CSS Zen Garden and A List Apart that give you great ides for CSS/HTML!

-Frinny

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 19 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 baavgai  Icon User is offline

  • Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

Reputation: 5780
  • View blog
  • Posts: 12,596
  • Joined: 16-October 07

Re: Code Stealing

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

I've never stolen code. I can't even look at other's code without messing with it, anyway.

The web, by and large, is open source. Some authors may have an issue with that; let them do crappy flash sites. HTML isn't even code, it's markup. The content is proprietary, the layout is exposed so that the browser ( and user ) may read it.

It can be argued that the speed of web development has been aided by the ability to learn from others; whether they like it or not. If you don't want others seeing your special web pages, then don't put them on the web. Oh, wait... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2