The bestest program just got better - at the golf course

A noodle or 2 and this Spaghetti code program leaves the rest behind

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 4305 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Poll: What other actions sports could benefit from this FEATURE (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What other applications could this feature have

1. What a useless piece of &%(*% (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Horse Shoes (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

3. Baseball swing analysis (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

4. Darts (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. My software will not play the last few seconds by itself (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. There could be thousands of uses. WOW (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The bestest program just got better - at the golf course

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Actually, I'm pretty sure it wasn't even VB6. I believe it was VBrofl5
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

POPULAR

View Post5thWall, on 20 July 2010 - 07:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure I entirely followed your last paragraph. Could you go into more detail about the cataloging?

Edit: Also, your link is a dud.

A minor change was made to the "gf" cataloging option by adding 'ol' We get the "golf" option. The gf catalogue created 2 lines of text. The first being the search details and the 2nd being the path to the video. For the new option I added another set of text lines. On the search detail line I added " start==-3000 speed=125 " A minor change was needed to the logic where the "start==" was dealt with and if the value was negative I set the start point to the length of the video + the value of -3000 or 3 seconds before the end. So to change it to work for rodeo. Just mass edit the -3000 to -8000 for the 8 seconds of the ride or maybe 10000 for a couple more seconds in slow motion.

Say you had summarized all your videos in the last 6 seconds (that's the only point you know what you videoed) and you wanted to sample them. Use the GOLF option to create the 2 sets of lines for all your videos. You could then change the 'speed=' to 'speeed=' thus deactivating the slo-mo, turn on the "rand" option at prompt #2 for random and search for "speeed" and those last 6 seconds would randomly play at normal speed. The file info is displayed in the form header so you will know what video is playing. I'll make another change so that when the video is interrupted you can make a selection so that the full video will play. Then the next 6 second clip and on and on.

I'll post the noodles that were required to make this simple change.

I thought I'd get lots of IDEAS from this group. But not yet. What about rodeo, what about diving, what about drag racing.... No editing is required. The "golf" option takes mere seconds.

We had over 180 video clips from each tournament and had them playing almost as soon as we offloaded them from the camcorders. The golfers loved it. Even before the simple fix was done.

A more useful flexible program I never knew. The bestest of the bestest.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 20 July 2010 - 07:21 PM, said:

If you love this thread and wanna see it featured on the homepage (and get ole' Swampy his -83 reputation back to a lovely shade of green) vote up his first post!!!! :scooter:

I was proud of those very large negative numbers.

It is VB5 that I use.

the code without these updates is at:
http://www.telusplan...edan/source.txt

The following is the change to enable the "golf" option at prompt #2 (see 25Jun2010)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Mergem = "NO"               'february 24 2002 
     If ttt = "MERGE" Then 
         ttt = "GF"              'february 24 2002 
         diryes = "DIR" 
         dirdates = "Y" 
         Mergem = "YES" 
     End If                      'february 24 2002 
     If ttt = "GOLF" Then 
             ttt = "GF"          '25Jun2010 ************
             Mergem = "GOLF"     '25Jun2010 ************
     End If 

If ttt = "GF" Then 
             GoSub Control_28000 
             rand = 0            '19 July 2003 take random off GF option 
             Cmd(49) = "NORANDOM" 
             GoSub line_30800    'kill and update the control file 
                                 '19 July 2003 (somehow having random set causes the tag record 
                                 'on mp3 files not to be read properly (so this should be a temp fix) 
             GoSub Control_28000  '19 July 2003 
         Close #OutFile          '18 August 2004 so there is no conflict with file opened at prompt number 1 one 
         GoSub line_30700            'april 01 2001 

The following code finds a negative start point and adds the video length to that negative number for the new start point
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     If line_start_point < -0.5 Then line_start_point = video_length + line_start_point  '25Jun2010 ****************
     If line_start_point < 0.0001 Then line_start_point = 0     '25 October 2004 this did the fix on the short ones. 
 '25Jun2010 might want to check the line below for the very short vids??? 
 '25Jun2010 comment this out    If line_start_point < 9.0001 Then line_start_point = 10    '11 March 2007 
 '        xtemp = InputBox("25 oct test video_length=" + CStr(video_length), CStr(line_delay_sec), , xx1 - offset1, yy1 - offset2) '29 February 2004 test 
 '11 March 2007    If start_point <> 0 And rand1 <> -1 Then 
     If start_point <> 10 And rand1 <> -1 Then 
         line_start_point = start_point                  '20 August 2005 
     End If 
     If line_delay_sec * 1000 + line_start_point > video_length - 100 Then 

The following code creates the additional set of lines so that the last 3 seconds can be played in slow motion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 '07 January 2005 need to check that it is one of those allowed in Cmd(78) before merging 
             If Mergem = "YES" Then GoSub line_17200 'february 24 2002 
             ' need to open need to open and read the file here thru a call 
             'then put and append end along with the file name at the end. 
             'should just need to use one file # for the opens and closes... 
         Else 
             Print #ExtFile, "xxx." + Test1_str; indates 
         End If                      'february 18 2002 skip the xxx. on print only 
     If Mergem = "GOLF" Then 
         Print #ExtFile, "photo start==-3000 speed=125 " + Test1_str + " " + tt1 + " " + indates   '25Jun2010*********
         Print #ExtFile, "xxx." + Test1_str; indates    '25Jun2010 ************
         Print #ExtFile,    '25Jun2010 *************
     End If              '25Jun2010 ************

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually you can't control when the action starts but you can determine when the video stops. What a great great feature this "GOLF" option is.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 21 July 2010 - 09:03 AM
Reason for edit:: Added code tags.

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

POPULAR

View Postskyhawk133, on 20 July 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! :bananaman: :alucard:

If you think that is awesome check this video out from the day before yesterday.

http://www.archive.o...p-in-the-clouds

When no video editing is required you can just shoot and shoot and get and get weird stuff. Download the 32MB file to see the faint object more clearly. It goes from left to right across the screen about 3/4 the way up. It covers the distance in about 8 or 10 seconds. I'll do a screen reshoot of the slo-mo version for those who don't have that option.

It must have been going a couple hundred miles an hour.

Awesome programs produce awesome results.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

is that the old spaghetti code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 20 July 2010 - 03:51 PM, said:

Question, why is no one yelling "four" in the videos?

Cuz it's spelled "fore".
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

...bestest?

Opinion and horrible grammar in one glorious word.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

Next new feature: Random groups of videos, Music, pics...

Right now it plays random this way. SSDS searches up to 3 lines when looking for a match. And the "golf" option puts a blank line after the 2 sets of paired catalog lines. 1 set for the normal play and a 2nd set for the slow mo 3 sec replay. So in random mode it will play A single slo-mo 3 sec video OR a normal speed then it's slo-mo Or A single normal speed video clip.

Now I want it to randomly select the foursome for replay. Having it play the full speed - them slow motion sequence for each of the 4 golfers in the group. Then pick another random group. etc etc.

To make this work and not have to manually edit the catalog text file and thus reduce the immediacy of the replay. I'd have to use another small trick. I'd shoot an extremely short video before each group arrives at the T. The "golf" option would recognize this as a break point and instead of cataloging the video as per usual it would insert a "group_break" line in the catalog file. So when running in Group_Break" random mode. SSDS would find a match. Then find the first line after the previous "group_break" line to start the play. Then play however many videos are encountered before the next "group_break" line is found. This should be rather easy to implement.

On another thread the responder said he'd use it to "Play all my Beethoven pieces in a random order" - "have Symphony #6 followed by Piano Concerto #5 rather than Symphony #6, movement II followed by Piano Concerto #5, movement I" Then the next random group....

I plan on doing some barrel racing videos soon. I will turn off and quickly restart recording after horse and rider round each barrel. By shooting a short vid between each contestant. SSDS can randomly play the complete set for each rider. Each clip full speed with the last couple seconds in slow mo, barrel after barrel.

I'm pretty sure no other video or audio playback system can be as wildly random at this. SSDS is truly the bestest ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Does anybody You Know, do video better than "THIS"?

Here's HOW to capture slow motion golf swing videos for ALL the participants in a tournament.

We took our 2 camcorders to Hole #2. That TEE had the best lighting and least shade. The Hole runs to the North North East. Quite good for early morning and noon Tee-time Shoots.

For the quickest results follow this simple Videoing recipe.
---------------------------------------------------------------
*AS each 'new' foursome arrives at the TEE:

-Shoot 1 extremely short video clip (1 or 2 seconds max) of the tournament list sheet or white-board with golfer names and Flight# or video the Golfers as they drive up in their Carts.

-Start recording the action when the Golfer addresses the ball.

-Shut off recording as soon as the swing is complete.

-then the next golfer in that foursome.

That's IT.
==========

The video software program Does-The-Rest.

The video is uploaded to the Laptop in 5 to 10 minutes. 90+ golf swing clips from each of the 2 CamCorders.

The App's "GOLF" option is selected:
--a text file is created with dual lines that control the video playback.
the first text line contains: -- The search line detail and controls for replay. ie

"photo c:\video_0012.mpg 06Sep2010 auto_catalog" (more search details like NAME & SCORE can be added here later)

the 2nd line (the physical location of the video files):
"xxx.c:\search\video_0012.mpg" (A mpeg video file called video_0012 on Drive C in a folder called 'Search')

The above tells the software to play the 6 to 8 sec video_0012.mpg Golf Swing Video at REGULAR speed.

What instructs the final 3 seconds (the swing) to play in SLO-MO is a minor addition of control INFO on the 1St line - of the second set of catalog test lines.

This NEW pair of detail text lines has "control info" E.G.:
" speed=125 " is the replay speed where 1000 is full speed. This 1/8 speed is in reality about 1/10 speed due to computer delay time resulting from the rapid video stops and starts from within the Slo-Mo playback controller.
" Start==-3000 " is the number of seconds (-3000 indicates 3 secs) from the end of file. where the playback starts.

The computer finds all the videos in the specified directories and automatically creates these 2 sets of lines for each video clip captured from the tournament. So these files are ready to play FULL speed and Slo-Mo for the golfers one after the other....

And the PLAY Begins... On the big screen RANDOMLY by foursomes... The mini clip filmed for each NEW foursome is the BREAK indicator that identifies each new play group as a SET. The computer selects and plays the groups randomly. On the BIG screen. All within 10 minutes of leaving the Course. How fast is that.

(The mini-clip feature allows for easy synchronizing the video from 2 or more CamCorders). Choosing the Golfer's Seq# from His/Her video group; and having just those 2 videos play over and over is a snap.

What Entertainment Value to the golfers as they have their awards meal.
What GREAT momentos the monogrammed USB STICKS (with vids set to randomly play) will be for them. Everybody will want to SPONSOR a cool gift like that...

All with next-to-NO technicalities. Simple and FAST. Simple is BEST.

http://www.telusplan...soyoos_golf.htm for video samples from the 2 test demo tournaments

This post has been edited by SpectateSwamp: 06 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:16 AM

Now I want the video from the 2 or more camcorders to be played back in sync. This would be quite easy if both my camcorders put out the video files with the same naming convention ie YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.mpg. I could just set one to be 10 or 15 seconds behind the other and then dump the videos from both camcorders into one folder then do the GOLF catalog option. But just the one camcorder does them in the above format. Kicking about in the code for SSDS is a CP / Copy Picture option that I'll upgrade to do the naming in the YYYYMMDD and then use the system HHMMSS to complete the new name. I can then hop back and forth between the 2 or more sessions and rename 1 video file in each until they are all in sequence. With the current features the videos should be 1 for 1 being that we won't miss any shots because we are no longer trying so hard to just capture the swing. A quick visual comparison of the 2 directories will be done to confirm that is the case.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

just throwing this out there out of curiosity, have you ever heard of a boolean?
you always seem to make an actual string stating yes or no ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +