5 Replies - 1751 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Survey Finds Java as Most Sought-After Tech Skill of 2010

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:52 AM

A cio.com survey found that Java (and Java EE) had replaced security as the hardest to fill positions of 2010. I can't say this was a shocker for me, but it is nice to have it in writing. Although I'm not sure I'd recommend pulling the "supply and demand" card in a salary negotiation, it does add another dimension of credibility to Java developers' higher salary/rate expectations.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Survey Finds Java as Most Sought-After Tech Skill of 2010

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Survey Finds Java as Most Sought-After Tech Skill of 2010

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

Surprise, surprise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

View PostProgrammist, on 23 July 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

A cio.com survey found that Java (and Java EE) had replaced security as the hardest to fill positions of 2010. I can't say this was a shocker for me, but it is nice to have it in writing. Although I'm not sure I'd recommend pulling the "supply and demand" card in a salary negotiation, it does add another a dimension of credibility to Java developers' higher salary/rate expectations.

fixed.

Also, I can't help but wonder if this isn't because of an attitude that I've seen that "Java isn't worth studying", for whatever reason java is a really polarizing language, almost as much as VB is- there are fans but a lot of people really dislike it for vague reasons.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

View PostChoscura, on 24 July 2010 - 02:14 AM, said:

fixed.
I don't know you, so maybe this is how you usually communicate disagreement. However, I find it disrespectful, dismissive, and wholly inadequate for the purposes of argumentation. If there's something about my comment that you'd like to refute please feel free to do so in your own words while leaving mine intact.

View PostChoscura, on 24 July 2010 - 02:14 AM, said:

Also, I can't help but wonder if this isn't because of an attitude that I've seen that "Java isn't worth studying", for whatever reason java is a really polarizing language, almost as much as VB is- there are fans but a lot of people really dislike it for vague reasons.

Java is the lingua franca at many universities for teaching OO now, so I doubt it has much to do with people not studying it. I think the reason for the deficit is much more complex. It think it is partly do to with there simply not being enough CS grads with adequate Java skills to fill positions. This could be due in part to the recession killing many of the internship opportunities that students could be using to get experience before graduation. It would also be due to some students choosing .NET or C++ as their focus. Also, I've noticed that there seem to be far more non-intern entry-level positions for .NET than there are for Java. So, students who haven't been able to get an internship or don't have the time/ability to gain Java experience in other ways find it much easier to get a job in .NET. For example, a friend of mine finished her CS masters and searched for a job for months with no luck. When she broadened her search to C#, C++, etc she was able to find an entry-level .NET job within a few weeks which required no .NET experience, while the entry-level Java positions were requiring 1-2 years of experience. There are also several companies in my area that only hire senior Java developers or consultants. Combine this with the fact that we've got boatloads of junior-mid level H1B Java developers (at least in my area) willing to work for peanuts and you get an exodus of junior-mid-level Java developers from the talent pool who can't or don't want to compete in this space. So where exactly do the senior Java developers come from? Exactly. Hence the high price tag for doing senior-architect level Java work.

This post has been edited by Programmist: 24 July 2010 - 07:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

No offense meant, I have a few problems with java (for the most part, not as a language but in how it's implemented), but they're the same problems that everybody has- the JVM has to be running, it can't interpret once and run the program forever after that, etc. That was my attempt at a joke. Feel free to make a joke about my failure, maybe something about it getting a BSOD because of .Net.

About Java being taught in universities, whenever I see it taught here and anywhere else, it's kind of a 'rush through' course- that is, it's the kind of course where both the students and the instructor just want to be done with the course, and if some learning happens to accomplish this, that's a great bonus. I'm not saying this happens everywhere, but this is my experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

At my university we have six classes that are pure programming.

Application Develpment I-VI - We're only taught JavaME on Application Development V and JavaEE on Application Development VI.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1