6 Replies - 973 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2010 - 06:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Python 1,2,3?

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Obviously I am new to Python. I had 3 classes with vb.net now decided i wanna play around with python and C# on Ubuntu using eclipse and netbeans.

What is the difference in all the different versions of Python? I hear 3 is the best or something like that? Do you accomplish more in some versions than others? Or is there more compatible in other versions than in others?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Python 1,2,3?

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python 1,2,3?

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Not sure about the part on which version of Python is best, but I would always go with the latest version. I do know you're not going to play around with C# on Ubunutu, well unless you take a look at Mono
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:51 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 25 July 2010 - 08:43 PM, said:

Not sure about the part on which version of Python is best, but I would always go with the latest version. I do know you're not going to play around with C# on Ubunutu, well unless you take a look at Mono

Yeah I was thinking I didn't need eclipse; I'll install mono instead. This is only for tinkering around and trying to learn it. I am now in the end of my BS in forensics but if i play around enough with these two lang's I'll be ready to actually learn them in January. I took vb.net in 3 classes and was not very good at all. But I love to write code; it is something i will have to spend more time at to get better at though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

For C# on Ubuntu, grab Mono and MonoDevelop (both should be in the software center). As for Python, 3 is the newest and has a lot of improvements, but many libraries and frameworks don't support it yet. So if you plan to use lots of libraries, such as GTK, I would suggest 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

"The current production versions are Python 2.7 and Python 3.1.2.

Start with one of these versions for learning Python or if you want the most stability; they're both considered stable production releases.

If you don't know which version to use, start with Python 2.7; more existing third party software is compatible with Python 2 than Python 3 right now."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

You might wanna take a look at this.

I had 3 classes with vb.net now decided i wanna play around with python and C# on Ubuntu using eclipse and netbeans.

Eclipse and Netbeans can be used for C# programming? I thought they're for Java only?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

View PostOler1s, on 25 July 2010 - 11:28 PM, said:

If you don't know which version to use, start with Python 2.7; more existing third party software is compatible with Python 2 than Python 3 right now."

To elaborate on this, Python 3 is developed using a different paradigm than Python 2. Python 2 and Python 3 are being developed in parallel. That is to say, there are new versions of both Python 2.7 and Python 3.1 being released. The two are not intended to be directly compatible and many of the standard Python modules have been removed, renamed, or replaced.

If you are learning Python from a book, you should ensure you are using the same major version of Python as the book. The skills you learn in Python will transition over very easily, while specific code written for Python 2 can be converted to Python 3 using the 2to3 tool.

To boil it down: If you are learning from a book or a website, trying to use someone else's code, or using Python for a class, you should figure out which major version of Python is being used. Otherwise, Python 2.7 is a safe bet, as migrating 2 code to 3 is easier than migrating 3 code to 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1