Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: why you choose .net ?

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

The most important one: My company pays me to write in .NET :)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Damn, I've been ninja'd

Damn you macosxnerd101 :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I b3z ninja with mad skillz. :shuriken:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

This isn't exactly a biased option but I think it's a good idea to choose .Net, specifically C#. While it gets based a lot because it's a Windows product, designed to run on Windows, it's a great platform to work with and far more powerful than some give it credit for.

C# has good syntax, especially if you're used to the C++/Java type syntax, it's strongly typed and you can do just about anything you need with it. Sure you have to have the Framework installed to run the application on target systems, but so much software out there has prerequisites so I dont think this is much of an issue, especially when you consider that most modern versions of Windows comes with the Framework installed.

Working with .Net has many advantages over some other languages, such as deployment time; The vast majority of the time you can build & deploy an application faster with C# than you can with something like Java or C++ (a lot is due to what's offered in the .Net Framework as far as functionality).

If your goal is to write software for Windows then going with .Net is a no brainer, simply because .Net offers much better integration with the environment than something like Java (and to the Java developers out there this is not a knock on Java so dont take it that way).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

At this point in my life (and if what I was working on wasn't mission critical) I'd probably go with Clojure, Scala, Ruby, Python, or Haskell just because I'd like to get more experience with those languages.

If I was developing an application that I knew for certain would be for "Windows users" only then, as PsychoCoder said, it would be dumb to not use C# or something .NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Short answer: You're writing for Windows.

Long answer: Writing for the .NET framework is writing for Windows. In a sense, it's future proofing your code, since Microsoft is unlikely to discontinue support for it's favorite VM abstraction. Your Windows C program, on the other hand, can be Vista'd, UAC'd, and generally clobbered in any number of nasty ways come the next round of OS changes.

The language you use to talk to Windows must pass through the later of abstraction that is Windows. The argument that some language offers speed gains or other benefits is often dubious given the OS architecture.

The real question, if you're working on Windows, is why you would avoid choosing .NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

I like programming with the .NET framework because it has a TON of great libraries already built in. You want to easily ping something, BAM here's a Ping namespace. You want to do some cryptography, BAM here have some nice methods already built in. You want to handle keyboard input, Well what do you know, we have that too.

It's just gorgeous and gargantuan CHOCK full of great stuff to use.

Apart from the .NET, there's C#. The language that made me LOVE programming, it really is my favorite language. I've used a lot of languages before; some dabbled, some built some production applications, but they all pale in comparison to C#.

With the range of new things C# has brought it just keeps giving, it's like a wife of 20 years that constantly buys sexy underwear and keeps hitting the gym. :lol:

About a month ago I started reading about MVC2 and it's just mindblowing stuff. Very nice to use and quick for prototyping.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#11 AfterBurner66  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Well,personally I don't.I think for .NET, that's a framework with many capabilities, but the magic word is for Windows.I personally have no doubt that offers many convenient features and is excellent for Windows development.But its whole logic is somewhat restricted, as for its nature and for the languages it has.OK, for starters, what is C#?An answer to Java.And why someone would prefer it over Java, even for Windows development?Java has evolved over years to a really powerful monster, with excellent windows(Swing) capabilities, being really OO from the beginning, and these days very very fast and secure.So why prefer something more or less imitative, like C#?Second, languages like VB are not for real programmers.I have nothing personal with VB programming, but it is not really OO, has a syntax that is not for programmers, very proprietary, stemming from a language (a.k.a 70's Basic) that pushed programmers to spaghetti code.OK that is not the case with modern VB, but its syntax does not help to learn other languages.So there is a whole bundle of languages, tools, libraries etc. in .NET, that aim to develop something small or big easily, for some version of Windows and that's all folks.That's perfect, can anybody argue, because the vast majority of users use some version of Windows.But this does not signify in any way, that you can't use C++ for instance for some application, or even Java or if we talk about web dev, Java,Perl,Python,PHP or whatever open source is offered.On the other hand, using the aforementioned languages, someone develops apps for other platforms(mainly OS) too.And other platforms, especially many flavors of Linux, are steadily increase their market share.
So, all in all, I personally think that using something so proprietary is by no means and in any way, the road to success in a programmer/developer career, at least for everyone who wants to get the big picture and continue developing apps, even if Windows some day has little users.It is not bad at all to learn to work in .NET, but real programmers (and I do not claim that I am one of them), talk about C++, about beauty of Java, and not for proprietary languages that have a certain domain of action.Maybe is better choice from professional perspective, but not in the long run and the most important:not from Computer Science perspective.After all the really big contributions have historically being made by open source technologies and not from proprietary.

This post has been edited by AfterBurner66: 02 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

But its whole logic is somewhat restricted, as for its nature and for the languages it has.

Can you explain what this means? How is C#'s logic restricted?

And why someone would prefer it over Java, even for Windows development?

I use it because it has a wonderful, just stellar IDE (Microsoft Visual Studio 2010). C# can be used with Linq and ASP.Net MVC2 which is just a godsend.

The .NET Framework also has a lot of tightly OS-integrated features like getting the MyDocuments folder, among other things.

I'm learning Java and am quite familiar with it, but I wouldn't trade it for C# anytime soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

So why prefer something more or less imitative, like C#?

C# was at one point imitative. In some ways, its a copier. In some ways, it seeks to improve things (properties instead of getter/setter methods). In functional terms, it has eclipsed its predecessor by leaps and bounds in several areas, like LINQ and anonymous methods. I'm sure that in a few ways it lags behind (I'm not sure, because I don't keep current with Java).

C# is also OO from the beginning. C# has evolved over nearly as many years as Java, and in many ways moves faster than Java, embracing certain functional ideas instead of shying away from them.

I won't argue with you on the cross-platform abilities. Mono isn't far enough along to call .NET cross-platform. To some, that's a deal breaker. Not to me, I'm fine with developing on Windows. That's all my company uses, aside from COBOL on the mainframe.

about beauty of Java

I've never heard a real programmer speak of any beauty in Java (or C# for that matter) after spending any amount of time with it. Most of them like to talk about functional languages, like Lisp or Haskell. Maybe they used to talk about Java when OO wasn't common, the same way they talk about functional programming now. I wonder what the next thing will be.

This post has been edited by insertAlias: 03 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 26 July 2010 - 03:07 PM, said:

...Your Windows C program, on the other hand, can be Vista'd, UAC'd, and generally clobbered in any number of nasty ways come the next round of OS changes...

That's why you have to think ahead. Generally though it only takes a bit of user intervention to get old applications to work. I've gotten almost anything written since Windows 95 and later to work in Windows 7.

Lots of these problems stem from the fact that you should have used the home directory for your application saves and work in the first place. Generally these problems are kind of minor for me and easily fixed. A better reason to use C# over C is if you are developing something that doesn't need ultra performance but development time could be cut way down.

I'm thinking of switching from JAVA to C# to write my tools in because I'm the only one who really needs to use them at the moment. Having quick access to DirectX in the same application can help me write game tools VS. not having good default video support in JAVA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1