3 Replies - 1345 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2010 - 01:01 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Runtime error on aspx

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:28 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know how come i got the following error message. My website doesn't have any problem when it runs on debug mode but after i published it to my server(my pc - Inetpub\wwwroot folder) and i got the following error message.

"Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine."

Can someone help me about this problem?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Runtime error on aspx

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Runtime error on aspx

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

On the server where the application is deployed go through IIS and find the web application, select the application and right click on the main page in your web application, then click 'Browse'. (see screenshot)

This will open a browser using localhost. You will then be able to see what the actual error message is.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:44 PM

@Jayman interesting...never knew you could do that. I always went to Windows Event Viewer and looked for any ASP.NET errors/warnings.

Problem with this answer is that your version of IIS may not be the same version as the vennesschan's IIS...and the vennesschan may not have access to the OS of the web server hosting the application.

So I recommend that vennesschan change the web.config file and specify that it should display errors so that you can figure out what's going on. After you're done, you can set this back to display the not so user-friendly, user-friendly error messages.

In your web.config file look for the custom errors element and change it to "Off" so that you can see the ASP.NET error information (stack trace etc):
<!--"On" Always display custom (friendly) messages.
    "Off" Always display detailed ASP.NET error information.
    "RemoteOnly" Display custom (friendly) messages only to users not running 
     on the Local Web server. This setting is recommended for security purposes, so 
     that you do not display application detail information to remote clients. 
-->
<customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">

-Frinny

This post has been edited by Frinavale: 30 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:01 AM

Why don't you use any debugging tool That can help you in better way to understand you error.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1