$25K for MS SQL server enterprise?!?!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

30 Replies - 2730 Views - Last Post: 28 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

$25K for MS SQL server enterprise?!?!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Could someone please explain why this software costs $25,000? I can get this stuff for free ($0 USD) from my school. I just saw this price on Microsoft's website and I was absolutely blown away. Did I read something incorrectly or perhaps misunderstand the licensing, or do they actually charge $25K for this software?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: $25K for MS SQL server enterprise?!?!

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: $25K for MS SQL server enterprise?!?!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

** Topic moved to corner cubicle, as it doesn't actually have to do with DataBasing **

I believe that for $25,000 the client will get some form of Microsoft assistance in setting up & implementing the database. Also it is a given that a company will be using this software for-profit.

Your zero dolor copy most likely comes with a six to twelve month usage time frame, no support, & is almost guaranteed that you will use it for educational purposes, aka non-commercial.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

Yeah they do, and it's cheap compared to Oracle. What you get for school you cannot do enterprise applications, or even retail applications I believe. And MySql cannot do what MSSQL & Oracle can do
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 27 July 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

And MySql cannot do what MSSQL & Oracle can do

To be fair, I'm sure I could find a GUI that takes 10 minutes to load & run a simple select statement for MySql to keep us all on the same playing field ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 27 July 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

Yeah they do, and it's cheap compared to Oracle. What you get for school you cannot do enterprise applications, or even retail applications I believe. And MySql cannot do what MSSQL & Oracle can do

The version available through school is the 25k one - enterprise '08.

So the most of the money is pretty much for assistance and whatever else from microsoft? I mean, you can make databases without 25000 dollar softwares so it is just hard to understand why people are willing to pay such exorbitant prices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

You're not understanding , it may be but you cannot do commercial products with it, that would get you in a ton of trouble with Microsoft. As far as your statement on making databases, yes you can but you cannot do enterprise level work with MySql, and you cannot release commercial applications using the version of MSSQL you get for school, it's a violation of the TOS for what you get for school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 27 July 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

And MySql cannot do what MSSQL & Oracle can do

Such as?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 27 July 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

You're not understanding , it may be but you cannot do commercial products with it, that would get you in a ton of trouble with Microsoft. As far as your statement on making databases, yes you can but you cannot do enterprise level work with MySql, and you cannot release commercial applications using the version of MSSQL you get for school, it's a violation of the TOS for what you get for school.

Ahhhhh, I knew I was missing something. Forgive my ignorance, but could you define "enterprise level work"? Does this simply refer to building a system that you intend to make money off of?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

Well MySql has very basic (if any) for support as far as things like stored procedures and in that regard is far less scalable than Oracle & MSSQL. Oracle & MSSQL have far better support for transactions. MySql only has rudimentary trigger support, MySql has no XML support (well not as of MySql 5) and has no partitioning support (both MSSQL & Oracle do). MySql only has row-locking (InnoDB) support as far as locking & concurrency support go. MySql only supports one-way replication, whereas MSSQL supports Merge, Snapshot & Transactional replication

I mean I could honestly go on and on on why Oracle & MSSQL are better for enterprise applications than MySql
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

What about in comparison to PostgreSQL?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

I mean I could honestly go on and on on why Oracle & MSSQL are better for enterprise applications than MySql

That's fine and dandy but plenty of people are using MySQL in enterprise applications and doing just fine.

Who's using MySQL?

The problem with MSSQL is that Windows itself doesn't scale well. That's why most mainframes, large clusters, and super computers choose *nix. And that's why most gigantic enterprise apps are backed by *nix as well.

This post has been edited by Dark_Nexus: 27 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

I've always enjoyed the US Census Bureau case study (I've cited it for many many years) in which they used to use Oracle (and still have an Oracle site license) but chose to go with MySQL for performance, cost, and maintainability.

With Oracle at the helm, MySQL will continue to give other RDBMSs a run for their money. The MySQL + Oracle team is a powerhouse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Here's one for ya. Facebook runs on a LAMP stack.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

enterprise = $25k... standard = $6k.... workgroup = $3.5k

Also check the feature compare..

http://download.micr...e%20Compare.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 27 July 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

I've always enjoyed the US Census Bureau case study (I've cited it for many many years) in which they used to use Oracle (and still have an Oracle site license) but chose to go with MySQL for performance, cost, and maintainability.

With Oracle at the helm, MySQL will continue to give other RDBMSs a run for their money. The MySQL + Oracle team is a powerhouse.

I dont get that at all, MySql only supports one way replication which, in most of the extremely large applications I've ever worked on or headed up, was a killer right off the top right there. We needed something that can support multiple types of replication, and at the same time and MySql just cannot do that. We needed something that had native XML support and MySql doesn't offer that.

When working with very large GDS systems (Global Distribution Systems) scalability, transactions and replication are mission critical items that MySql just failed to deliver at the level we needed it.

I personally (and remember this is personal choice) would never use MySql for anything mission critical. I use MySql for some web work and such but wouldn't be able to get everything I needed from it to make it my choice for a mission critical application, I would go either Oracle or MSSQL (And probably MSSQL simply due to cost).

EDIT: That's not even taking into account that MySql has zero support for data partitioning , it just doesn't exist. Both Oracle & MSSQL not only offer it they offer it on very low level if need be, and trust me this can do a lot for your performance if you have someone who knows what they're doing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +