Game ~ Big/long term project, Ideas anyone?

Looking for oponions, Ideas, etc.

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1609 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game ~ Big/long term project, Ideas anyone?

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hello,

Some of you may already know me. I am currently new to the site, but I like to ask questions and help where I can. I figured as a change of pace I would post about my current project. Although the time I can find to work on it is few and far between it is slowly getting done. I will leave out the exact details of the code, how I am programming, etc and instead ask some general ideas about what you think of the concept itself, along with suggestions for how to code it. Take note, I have never taken on an excessively large project before, so this is a major task for me.

Anyways, first of all here is the general idea of the game. I assume you have all played Pokemon at some point or another. Take that concept (e.g. exploring and capturing stuff to do battle). Now, lets take it another step further, now we can create our own along with capturing wild ones. (for the sake of ease, i am explaining this in perspective to Pokemon. Although a lot is completely different, it is a good contrast). This is the overall premise of the game and from here, there is a number of goals that you can accomplish. First and foremost is collection. Although there will be other in-game systems, money is a big thing, and collection and buying/selling pokemon is a big deal. Not to mention rares, hard to find, etc.

Most things in game will revolve around the base form of currency, so take note of that, as everything tends to relate back to that in some way.

Next, the second biggest thing about this game is going to be the Player vs Player. You obviously see this in Pokemon, however honestly, its not that interesting after doing it thousands of times. I would like to take a more "open" feel to the whole PvP idea, and say that outside of towns, its free game (that might not work out, for obvious reasons, so moving away from it there may be special areas for it). I also want to incorporate large-scale battles. Prehaps automated battles where you send out your pokemon onto a field with a set of goals (e.g. a play style for the pokemon) then command along with other trainers from afar (perhaps in an assault/defense fashion).

Lastly, Dungeons. I would like some form of 'instancing' like they have in World of Warcraft. Obviously I have not put a ton of thought into this (other things come first, base systems, capturing, etc) however I do want to see this. Perhaps tag-team dungeons players can go into to earn prizes, or more.

Anyways, I am running short on time. Post any comments & ideas you might have here. I will add more later when I get more time.

-> For all the programmers, its in Java. Would love tips for how you think I should go about doing this. Take note that I want this to be big, so likely lots of people on a single server.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game ~ Big/long term project, Ideas anyone?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Game ~ Big/long term project, Ideas anyone?

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

Maybe we can help each other to develop the game.now i creating a text based game with php.in future i would also develop 3d game with C++ and matrix openGL platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

I am in the same boat actually, I am looking to developing later games in C++, however Java is just my current starting point. I have not put much thought into OpenGL or anything like it for not to be honest though. Though if it's freeware I will likely adopt it anyways.

If you want to get in contact with me, just send me a private message and I will get back to you as soon as I notice it and give you some contact information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

http://gamedev.stack...your-wings-with

http://gamedev.stack...by-game-project

Some food for thought. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

i have a realy good idea please contact me post here when you get the chance.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 18 August 2010 - 06:28 AM
Reason for edit:: Please keep all work via the forums so that everyone can benefit.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1