3 Replies - 2153 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

• Winning
  • member icon

• View blog

Being a self employed freelance developer or work for a company?

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

I have recently got my first contract developing for a local secondary school and I also work as a software engineer at Tripleplay Services. I am really enjoying being my own boss but also have to be strict and ensure I dont become lazy during weekends as these are the only days I can really code as a freelance developer because of my fulltime job. Overall, I have really enjoyed being self employed rather than being an employee. I wanted to know what do you prefer? being your own boss or working as an employee, if so what company are you working for or what sort of contracts do you take up as a freelance developer?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Being a self employed freelance developer or work for a company?

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Being a self employed freelance developer or work for a company?

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

I don't think i would like to work as a freelancer, I would prefer working at a company where the pay is steady, and where i get any tools or equipment i need. I work at a software company here that develops stuff for large organizations like vodafone, the european union, and we also do our own projects. I work in a small friendly and cool team, and i am enjoying it, the office is nice, and the working hours are flexible. I could do some freelance stuff on the side on freelancing sites to gain more experience and make some extra cash as well, but primarily I would wanna be a company employee.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

This really depends on what person you are. Self-employed people need to be ready to take risks. It involves putting up your money, keeping yourself motivated, and dealing with customers. Personally I have tried business ventures and was not really willing to risk to much on them. I was mildly successful and one business is still going but it doesn't bring in much and is more of a part time thing for me. If you are willing to take the risk and know what is in store then go for it. I would just do what makes you happy because that is the most important thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

I like employer paid benefits and a employer matched 401k. So for now Im content with a company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1