HI Guys

Just saying hello

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 471 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

HI Guys

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hi guys, my name is Andy, I'm 24 and come from a small town called Batley in West Yorkshire, England!

I've just finished my honours degree in software development at The University of Huddersfield (kinda wish I'd found this forum then tbh) and will be starting my masters degree in software engineering at the end of September. I've studied topics including OO programming (Java, C# and PHP), functional programming, modelling (UML) and some more advanced topics like distributed systems and formal specification.

I currently work for a small company in the Holmfirth area doing programming, database creation/admin, network admin and other computer related stuff.

Off the topic of programming and other technical stuff I enjoy sport, movies, music... Anything really, I'm a pretty easy going guy really deep down.

Anyway I look forward to meeting you all!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HI Guys

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HI Guys

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

Welcome to dreamincode! I hope you'll like it here!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

Welcome to D.I.C!

Congratulations on finishing up your Bachelors degree! I am going to start pursuing my own Bachelors in Computer Science and Pure Mathematics starting in September.

Of the 3 OOP languages you listed, which is your favorite? I have personally taken a liking to Java over C and C++. Is C# more like C++ or more like Java? I would like to have a .NET language but I just can not stand either C or C++.

I hope you enjoy your time here at Dream.In.Code!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

View Post.Djoser, on 30 July 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

Welcome to D.I.C!

Congratulations on finishing up your Bachelors degree! I am going to start pursuing my own Bachelors in Computer Science and Pure Mathematics starting in September.

Of the 3 OOP languages you listed, which is your favorite? I have personally taken a liking to Java over C and C++. Is C# more like C++ or more like Java? I would like to have a .NET language but I just can not stand either C or C++.

I hope you enjoy your time here at Dream.In.Code!

I have a keen interest in mathematics myself actually, particularly areas like set theory and formal specification and program "correctness" (a topic we only just looked at, don't know if I'd like to do it as part of my job though :unsure:).

I'd say the language I like the most is C#, use it every day at work so it's probably the language I'm most able in as well, although Java was the first one I learnt, so if I get the chance to write any apps in JAva I do so - kinda a first love thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Which language did you write your best programs in (the programs you are most proud of)? Java or C#?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

View Postandy_pleasants, on 30 July 2010 - 05:04 AM, said:

Hi guys, my name is Andy, I'm 24 and come from a small town called Batley in West Yorkshire, England!

I've just finished my honours degree in software development at The University of Huddersfield (kinda wish I'd found this forum then tbh) and will be starting my masters degree in software engineering at the end of September. I've studied topics including OO programming (Java, C# and PHP), functional programming, modelling (UML) and some more advanced topics like distributed systems and formal specification.

I currently work for a small company in the Holmfirth area doing programming, database creation/admin, network admin and other computer related stuff.

Off the topic of programming and other technical stuff I enjoy sport, movies, music... Anything really, I'm a pretty easy going guy really deep down.

Anyway I look forward to meeting you all!!

Welcome for your coming Andy...nice to meet you..hope we will get great experience in D.I.C
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

View Post.Djoser, on 31 July 2010 - 06:40 AM, said:

Which language did you write your best programs in (the programs you are most proud of)? Java or C#?

A bit of a toughy that one I think - My main creation has been in WPF/C# I also have one using ASP.NET/C# as well, those are the ones I am most proud of because they are used on a daily basis (the WPF one by a lot of people without them noticing almost, and the ASP.NET one is an internal system). The Java ones have often been very comples because they were for University modules, but they're pretty much redundant now the course has finished (although the knowledge has been recycled).

Also, to hamidah, hopefully I can gain a lot of knowledge from everybody here, and return the favour too!

This post has been edited by andy_pleasants: 31 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

What are some programs that you have written in C#? Do you have a portfolio available online?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

The two main ones that I have written are a web application used by our office staff and engineering team to issue/submit worksheets and keep track of site information and archived job sheets etc.

The other is a distributed system using WPF that is used as an RTI system for bus services.

The rest are small company specific apps just to help the admin people, unfortunately I don't really have a portfolio online, I'm working on that at the moment, trouble is I'm not particularly good at making stuff look good, so my projects are particularly aesthetically pleasing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1