PHP Vs. ASP.NET

future of php

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 4935 Views - Last Post: 01 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP Vs. ASP.NET

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

what is the difference between php ans asp.net and which one is in demand. everybody tell me that .net is good and secure than php. so plz help me as i m a php developer and course in is helpful for me in this sector.
thanz ®ards
priti
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP Vs. ASP.NET

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP Vs. ASP.NET

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Moved to the Corner Cubicle, and renamed to be more descriptive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

PHP is an open source product, & most commonly used by Students & Freelancers &/or on non corporate servers, though in some situations even large corporations utilize PHP functionality.

ASP.NET is almost exclusively a Microsoft Product, used on Microsoft Servers & used in corporations of all sizes.

In my opinion neither trumps the other for demand or quality.

Take this for what it's worth, but your lack or professional (or even proper) witting ability should be your 1st priority, & not a programing language.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

You should check local job listings to see which is more in demand.

Here in Bolivia, PHP devs are dime a dozen, good PHP devs around 20% of the total PHP devs.
ASP.Net jobs are about half of the PHP jobs, but none of the ASP.Net programmers I've seen are really good. I've seen code that was really nasty to sift through; sure it worked but it was awful to read and maintain.

Recently I've been working with ASP.Net MVC2 and I couldn't be happier. I can levarage my C# knowledge and also create clean HTML pages, something that typical Webforms is really lacking.

I'd recommend you try downloading Visual Studio 2010 and following along the NerdDinner tutorial to see how powerful and elegant MVC2 really is. I've tried using Kohana, CodeIgniter and CakePHP but they were difficult to set up and required a ton of reading to actually start building anything.

If you know C#, MVC2 really is a great choice. :)

This post has been edited by stapia.gutierrez: 01 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

ASP.NET is Microsoft web development platform. You can use an .NET language with it, though C# and VB the basic defaults, like for the rest of Visual Studio. More importantly, the development tools are very visual and tightly integrated. Of course, forget about running ASP.NET on anything other than Microsoft.

PHP is more classic CGI scripting. Your code generates the pages. You have to know HTML (CSS, JS, etc.) and are generally building your own solutions. There really nothing similar to Visual Studio in PHP land. Most PHP programmers use text editors. However, you do have complete control of how your pages behave and they'll run on many kinds of web servers, many OSes, and most ISPs. It's currently the most popular internet choice.

Neither is going away any time soon. The choice of which to use is more question of client and environment than anything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 01 August 2010 - 11:25 AM, said:

ASP.NET is Microsoft web development platform. You can use an .NET language with it, though C# and VB the basic defaults, like for the rest of Visual Studio. More importantly, the development tools are very visual and tightly integrated. Of course, forget about running ASP.NET on anything other than Microsoft.

PHP is more classic CGI scripting. Your code generates the pages. You have to know HTML (CSS, JS, etc.) and are generally building your own solutions. There really nothing similar to Visual Studio in PHP land. Most PHP programmers use text editors. However, you do have complete control of how your pages behave and they'll run on many kinds of web servers, many OSes, and most ISPs. It's currently the most popular internet choice.

Neither is going away any time soon. The choice of which to use is more question of client and environment than anything else.

Using ASP.Net MVC2 you have 100% complete control what HTML is rendered and where. There is pretty much no use for the WYSIWYG editor featured in Visual Studio 2010.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

View Poststapia.gutierrez, on 01 August 2010 - 12:21 PM, said:

Using ASP.Net MVC2 you have 100% complete control what HTML is rendered and where. There is pretty much no use for the WYSIWYG editor featured in Visual Studio 2010.

Actually, you can do that now with ASP.NET. And ASP for that matter. And batch files, if you really want to go there. ;)

Since version one I've done stuff with with XSLT rendering, etc. You can do an entire site just feeding back through the response writer, at which point you might actually be better off with PHP. The ASP.NET controls used to actually obfuscate the element ids to the point of uselessness, though they're getting better now.

The point is that ASP.NET development is often done using the Visual Studio UI tools. This aids in rapid development, at the loss to direct control. Some people prefer this. Such an option really doesn't exist in PHP.

The last time I looked at ASP.NET MVC my thought was, "oh, look, someone's been playing with Rails." I haven't honestly messed with it since then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

There is another consideration here, which is what has mostly kept me away from .Net.

.NET runs (almost) exclusively on Windows, which is expensive. A proper, professional development environment requires you to buy Windows, and a Visual Studio license. And I'm sure you will run into some additional costs down the line. (I usually do, anyways.)

On the other hand, PHP is completely free. You can host, develop and do whatever you want with it, on whatever environment you want to use. (Linux being a favorite for many.)

Both are excellent environments, and will serve most purposes very well. The decision which to use is mostly about your own personal preference, and which environment suits you better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

I can kind of see why Linux servers and associated languages are so popular now. I haven't done too much web stuff myself, I'm only learning it just to I know how to do it if anyone needs me to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1