Should I Invest In A White Board?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 5846 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I Invest In A White Board?

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

I use the heck out of my white boards. My boss bought two 4'x8' top-of-the-line porcelain on steel whiteboards. Mine are cheapies from an office store going out of business sale.

Be aware that dry-erase ink isn't always easy to get off. The longer it stays on the board the harder to get off. Even on the high-end boards when diagrams have sat for a month+ it means warm water and proper dry-erase board cleaner.

Don't use Windex. It pits the surface letting the ink soak in more the next time.

Now and then I've had a stubborn line that just won't come off. Draw over it with a dry erase marker. Then go back in 10 minutes and erase. The fresh ink seems to combine with the old ink and pull it right out.

The advice about tile board from the kitchen department of the hardware store is a good one. If you can just screw them to the wall. If you are in a rental you may want a framed board from WalMart. I like the steel backed ones so I can use a magnet to hold a print-out/sample to the board.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

I bought a good sized one a week ago, using it to draw interfaces and bits of code, as the papers I write on always get lost etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

I have an A2 pad under my keyboard and an A3 under my mouse. They work really well for scribblings or designs, and you don't even have to leave you desk! The best bit is that you can keep stuff if you want to, you just tear off the old sheet and store it somewhere (I have a drawer full of these things). The pads probably cost a bit more than a cheap whiteboard but I'd choose them any day. I've had mine for about 6 months now and they aren't even half gone - I go through a sheet every week I would say.

This post has been edited by scalt: 02 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• B&

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have the notebook sized one, it came with a free dry-erase marker and it was around $5.00 so unless all your money goes to crack (and apple products) it should be quite affordable.

This post has been edited by taylorc8: 02 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Awesome
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

I went to a Staples store today to get a laptop case for my new laptop, and after having read the stuff on here, I decided to look at the white boards they have to offer. I saw some pretty decent sized boards for $20-$50, but unfortunately that isn't in my budget at the moment.

After I leave to go to school I plan on getting a new desk that offers room to place my laptop and a lot of room to do paper work, book work, whatever. This is when I think I will get a 3 ft x 2 ft whiteboard; this should fit well on the desk that I have been looking at.

Thanks for every bodies input!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

what is this topic closed? i just went on about my whiteboards and the story disappeared. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

It wouldn't hurt. I have a medium sized one, and I believe it only cost like 10 dollars. I use it for reminders and project TODO lists and notes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

You know they have paint on white board, right? It's white and all.. Idea Paint

That....is....AWESOME
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -