13 Replies - 1838 Views - Last Post: 04 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to Push Project Moving Forward

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

Currently in handle of a tough task lasting for 4 months, including 4 guys. After one month passed, feels so tired ...
Feel that the project is going out of control, it becomes more and more complicated. More situation should be handled.
Any suggestions ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to Push Project Moving Forward

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to Push Project Moving Forward

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:03 AM

Moved to Corner Cubicle
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

Fire the people taking so long.
Provide free Red Bull and Monster energy drinks to the staff.
Pay the staff upon completion of the project not an hourly wage to keep it going forever.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:47 AM

Add another resource. New eyes on the situation may see the faults that the previous 4 didn't.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:25 AM

View PosttlhIn, on 03 August 2010 - 07:58 AM, said:

Pay the staff upon completion of the project not an hourly wage to keep it going forever.

Some good points there mate. Essentially you are the boss/manager/leader, it's your responsibility to make thing happen, their burning your money so set a deadline and if they don't meet it, you'll get some 'real' developers in who will have it finished much quicker.

Also regarding and large project, it's always a good idea to get a legally binding contract written up, so if it goes wrong you can take them to court. Although most people will simply work a lot harder to hit a given deadline/conditions and thus the problem doesn't exist.

A company I worked for as a hardware technician had a system quoted at 12 month development, 36 months later it still wasn't complete, and was costing them £xx,xxx per month to pay the original developers, shame they didn't get a contract.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

View PostBacanze, on 04 August 2010 - 03:25 AM, said:

View PosttlhIn, on 03 August 2010 - 07:58 AM, said:

Some good points there mate. Essentially you are the boss/manager/leader, it's your responsibility to make thing happen, their burning your money so set a deadline and if they don't meet it, you'll get some 'real' developers in who will have it finished much quicker.

Also regarding and large project, it's always a good idea to get a legally binding contract written up, so if it goes wrong you can take them to court. Although most people will simply work a lot harder to hit a given deadline/conditions and thus the problem doesn't exist.

A company I worked for as a hardware technician had a system quoted at 12 month development, 36 months later it still wasn't complete, and was costing them £xx,xxx per month to pay the original developers, shame they didn't get a contract.

Good luck.

What can I do when I order parts from a supplier and they don't deliver? Would outside companies be willing to agree to a contract like this? In the past I've resorted to ordering from another supplier but, in some cases that's not possible. I've found that re-ording the item and using over night shipping seems to help get the parts. Almost as if "the more money you spend, the better the service is" Al though, at this point you have all ready spent three times as much as you wanted..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

There are three things to keep in mind when moving a project forward:
-Responsibility: Having individual members responsible for work and meeting deadlines
-Accountability: If an individual fails to perform, enforcing repricussions (ie., longer hours, take away a bonus, etc.)
-Motivation: Reward for finishing the job and producing quality work (ie., bonus, taking your team to lunch to celebrate, etc.)

If you don't have these three aspects in your leadership style, your team will probably not strive (as hard) to finish the product in a high-quality manner on time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Mac, this may be my ignorance, but you have field experience in situations like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Yes. I had some issues with this on my nonprofit website project. I was the team lead and lead developer, and with a member of my team or two, I had to light a fire under them a lot to get anything done and done correctly.

Blog Entry: http://www.dreaminco...-meets-reality/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

Seemed like a great experience, but I would be hard pressed to say that is field experience. It is different inside the bounds of an educational experience versus a business environment where the CIO of you company asking for daily status reports. (No pun intended, just talking from experience).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

Then you haven't had the displeasure of dealing with my clients. :) Try spending an hour a day weeding through emails dealing with complaints, the need for updates, constant minor tweaks, etc. On the flipside, I had to deal with certain group dynamics including lazy and underperforming members of my group. The scope of this project was worth $10,000+ easily, coming from some people in the field. Plus, the center chairman who comes from a number 6-digit HR/PM type positions (and is my parents' age) has never had a project go south like this with clients. It may not have been formal business, but it wasn't really "within educational confines" either. :)

The only difference I see between this project and freelancing was that we didn't get paid. Look, we did the work my clients tried to get this guy who does this professionally and at one time for Circuit City to do, but they drove him away. Between client dynamics, group dynamics, and technology changes, it was very real world. :)

Regardless of my amount of real-world experience, would you disagree with the points I made?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

All I was trying to say is there is a difference between getting a bad grade and getting fired.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

I understand that (for the record I got a 100 + extra credit). That still deals with my points though, doesn't it? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

If you don't want to burn out during a project set tiny milestones. Progressions feels good and makes your brain excrete goodness.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1