4 Replies - 776 Views - Last Post: 03 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Hosting Getting Started

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

God it always seems like I am asking things on here but never contributing. I swear after this I am going to try and help. Honest.

However, what I am looking for is advice on web hosting. I am not asking for someone to sit and type a reply to this post with everything I need to know but if someone could point me in the direction of some information/faq on choosing a host/package etc..

A comparison site that isn't trying to push a particular product might also be helpful.

I guess I am just looking to find out about the server side of web development. I am ready to move beyond the Wamp Server/Visual Studio and into the big bad world wide web....

I hope that all makes sense and thanks for any help I receive in advance.

Later

Kev

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Hosting Getting Started

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Hosting Getting Started

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Without knowing your target OS is hard to suggest something. I'm all for Apache on FreeBSD, but that's because I really prefer the IPFW firewall & the FreeBSD ports, & lastly the ease of administration over ssh giving me quick access to the command prompt. Without knowing your background &/or interest, FreeBSD could be the absolute worst suggestion for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

Hello Kevin,

it would be nice to know which software you would like to use? Scripts using PHP & MySQL? Or ASP.net? If PHP&MySQL you will find cheap hoster with servers running linux ...

So what is your intention?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

"Once again information that would have been useful if brought to my attention YESTERDAY!"

Sorry but I love that movie.

Anyway, I am looking for something that will allow me to upload PHP/MySql and .NET/ASP projects. Although this may eveolve over time, so something which will enable me to upgrade quickly.

I dont think I will need two many databases. Decent space and bandith is important as well.

As for the question of Linux Vs.(I am assuming) windows....I have no idea. What is the difference? if any! And for that matter what is Apache?

Finnally, What diff does shared hosting make? I just assumed most servers worked that way.

As I said I am a bit of a newbie on the whole subject of servers so I am looking for any/all advice that I can get.

Thanks again for all the help.

Later
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

The thing is that Linux Hosting in combination with PHP&MySQL is quite cheap whereas Windows Hosting is more expensive. If you want both I would recommend to get two different shared hosting packages or at least get Windows Hosting. There exists an asp.net module for the mostly on linux systems used webserver apache but I guess thats a bit of a compromise.

As I am from germany I cannot give you definite recommendations for a hosting firm in UK.

Another possibility if you want to spend some time and endurance on that server/hosting issue is a virtual server. But before doing that it is quite useful to have a try with an old system or virtual system at home to gain some experience.

This post has been edited by trip2137: 03 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1