a thank you and a warning! lol :)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1199 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Im Back!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hello, well I wouldnt call myself a regular however throughout 2008 i racked up bout 190 post with you guys as you guided me through the creation of a project for my dissertation. With the help provided from the C++ forum you guys helped me to a very nice mark for my degree so I guess first of all I want to say thanks!! soo much so, that after spending another year in industry I decided to return to take on a PHD! I guess Im just glad to be returning to this forum really as I enjoyed the experiance of learning to code and I just thought I would let you know. I have a couple of ideas for my thesis which involve keylogging (not for anything bad though) however I wont go into details as its boring and I was wondering if I could count on you guys for guidance!lol

I know many people may see keylogging as a controversial topic and I was wondering if I am in the wrong place to seek guidance (as in Dreamincode.com). Would I have to explain myself thoroughly before I proceed to ask questions etc or a way of proving I am not trying to produce something thats a bit shady, if you know what I mean!

Cheers guys and again thanks for all the previous help provided

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Im Back!

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Im Back!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

While not always used maliciously, we do not support or facilitate the use or development of Keyloggers. If you wish to discuss them topically, the Corner Cubicle might be a better spot to do that. I encourage you to tread carefully on such a discussion though.

Welcome back, by the way. And good luck on your Ph.D! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

oy vey
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 03 August 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

While not always used maliciously, we do not support or facilitate the use or development of Keyloggers. If you wish to discuss them topically, the Corner Cubicle might be a better spot to do that. I encourage you to tread carefully on such a discussion though.

Welcome back, by the way. And good luck on your Ph.D! :)

Thanks, I am really looking forward to tackling it, its probs going to be a different league OF DIFFICULTY to my dissertation lol. Thank you for your advice thats why i decided to ask before I started posting like crazy. I will have a look at this corner cubicle! I knew it was going to be difficult finding advice on my topic, but unfortunatly thats the downside to my area of study. It really isnt for malicous reasons but i know plenty of people probably say things like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Regardless, just be careful about what you ask. Please try to keep the tone as that of an IT professional rather than someone trying to implement one. This is a grey area, and can digress very quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 03 August 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

Regardless, just be careful about what you ask. Please try to keep the tone as that of an IT professional rather than someone trying to implement one. This is a grey area, and can digress very quickly.

ok thank you for your words of warning, i shall make sure to plan my posts to a professional standard to ensure everyone is aware of my interests and intentions. Can I just ask as to why this topic seems to strike such controversy? is it common for people to try and make these on here? I can see how they can easily be used for bad things so I can understand why people are reluctant to discuss them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

As I said, they can be used maliciously or with constructive applications. It is the potential for misuse that makes us wary further discussing their development. We do on occasions get some script kiddies who want to make them, but not everyday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

I think you being a member here for a long time gives you credibility and staff shouldn't think of you as a malicious programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm not implying that tootypegs is going to do anything malicious, but we don't want to see the conversation deteriorate. Fair enough? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Carry on, macosxnerd101 is just suffering from a little paranoia lately. Don't let him get to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 03 August 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

I'm not implying that tootypegs is going to do anything malicious, but we don't want to see the conversation deteriorate. Fair enough? :)

Sorry, I didn't mean you were targeting him or anyone specifically. I was speaking in general. Someone who has been here a long time should have a little more trust from us as a community.

I've been here since '07 and people sometimes tell me to write my own code for something silly like finding the palindrome of a word. If I'm new to the language but not new to programming, sometimes I like to see example code to study it and understand the intricacies of the language.:P

Again, this isn't aimed at anyone specifically, but our community as a whole. After all, people who have 300+ posts aren't your typical: "plz kind sir i need robot ai for hotel management system in C#/sql server plz send codes".:lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

If you've been here since '07 why does your joined date say 27-January '10?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

you're looking at stapia's join date, not tooty's.

This post has been edited by supersloth: 03 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 AdamSpeight2008  Icon User is online

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Post count has nothing to do with it, supersloth has over 23,000 but I wouldn't trust every thing he says.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Especially when he's offering you money or booze. You never know when you'll wake up in the back of an alley, naked and sore once you say yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +