5 Replies - 1910 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Intel agrees to end chip war with rivals

Post icon  Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Intel Corp has agreed to stop using threats and unfair discounts to block its rivals, resolving a costly, high-profile legal battle over accusations it illegally smothered competition for over a decade.

The world's largest chip maker -- which managed to settle the U.S. Federal Trade Commission complaint without paying a cent -- also pledged to grant rivals access to its leading processor technology for six years.

Shares in graphics chip maker Nvidia Corp, which along with Intel arch-foe Advanced Micro Devices Inc first brought the complaint to the top U.S. trade body, jumped 4.25 percent. Nvidia has sued Intel for anti-competitive practices in a still-pending trial.

From Here

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Intel agrees to end chip war with rivals

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intel agrees to end chip war with rivals

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

I don't see why you would grant rivals access to your technology. If Intel could figure it out then someone at AMD can too.

As for unfair discounts, if it makes my computer cheaper, I'm all for it. Processors are not the cheapest thing in the world.

Also Intel software (I don't know if it was only Intel software but it doesn't mention otherwise) was being configured to run slower on non Intel processors. Why not? If you wrote the code then why do you have to make it equal for everyone? Use firefox on Microsoft's site. If you need to validate/download something then there are times when you can only use Internet Explorer.

That's just my opinion, yours might be different. I've always bought Intel so I'm biased in their favor.

This post has been edited by eker676: 05 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

My theory is that while everyone is focused on the released research, Intel will spend six years on something new to kick everyone's ass when that time window closes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

View Post-=m0n1k3r=-, on 02 February 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

My theory is that while everyone is focused on the released research, Intel will spend six years on something new to kick everyone's ass when that time window closes.

I know a fella who works directly for Intel in their testing department. Pretty much everything you just said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

I might bet on the Super Bowl now ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

View Posteker676, on 05 August 2010 - 11:03 PM, said:

I don't see why you would grant rivals access to your technology. If Intel could figure it out then someone at AMD can too.

It's called among other things a plea bargain or a payoff. They were guilty('ish at least) and didn't want to get jammed up or have to pay their lawyers enough to pull an OJ at the trial(s).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1