7 Replies - 908 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2010 - 07:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software Licenses

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

I am wanting to release some applications/libraries/source code on my website.

I am looking for a couple of software licenses (all stating that there is no warranty or liability):
1. The software/source is free to use and modify only for non commercial purposes
2. The software/source is free to use and modify but any modifications must be released to the public (kept open-source)

I have had a look at some different licenses but am suffering from severe information overload and conflicting information.

From what I can figure I want:
1. I have no idea what license matches this one
2. I guess for this one I want the GPL, or is the GPL too restrictive?
Also what implications would this have for distributing a project that used SDL or DirectX?
Would it be okay as long as the libraries were distributed separately? What if it was statically linked?

If anyone knows which licenses I am looking for please let me know as I think I have read as much on licensing today as I can manage lol.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software Licenses

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Licenses

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Well you could just use a Creative Commons License with...

1) Attribution (by)
2) Noncommercial (nc)
3) Sharealike (sa)

This means that the software you release must keep in a note about who created it (you), can be copied, distributed, displayed, and perform the work and make derivative works based on it only for noncommercial purposes and that any software derived from it must also be released with the same identical license that governed your work.

This combination is known as a Creative Commons Liccense (cc-by-nc-sa). Wikipedia for instance is a (cc-by-sa). For more info, look up the Creative Commons License. I think this will meet your needs.

Edit: As for using other software like DirectX etc, look at their licenses regarding their licensing restrictions. Keep in mind that your work is not "derived" from those as long as you don't modify the DirectX code base itself for example.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 06 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 06 August 2010 - 02:57 PM, said:

Well you could just use a Creative Commons License with...

1) Attribution (by)
2) Noncommercial (nc)
3) Sharealike (sa)

This means that the software you release must keep in a note about who created it (you), can be copied, distributed, displayed, and perform the work and make derivative works based on it only for noncommercial purposes and that any software derived from it must also be released with the same identical license that governed your work.

This combination is known as a Creative Commons Liccense (cc-by-nc-sa). Wikipedia for instance is a (cc-by-sa). For more info, look up the Creative Commons License. I think this will meet your needs.

Edit: As for using other software like DirectX etc, look at their licenses regarding their licensing restrictions. Keep in mind that your work is not "derived" from those as long as you don't modify the DirectX code base itself for example.

:)

Thanks a lot.
That looks to be exactly what I was looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

I believe from discussions, and based on what the GPL allows vs. the LGPL, that static linking also makes your work a derivative work. Note that derivative follows copyright definitions rather than your technical arguments. If you are building a library, consider using the LGPL, and not the GPL.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

View PostOler1s, on 06 August 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

I believe from discussions, and based on what the GPL allows vs. the LGPL, that static linking also makes your work a derivative work. Note that derivative follows copyright definitions rather than your technical arguments. If you are building a library, consider using the LGPL, and not the GPL.

Thanks for the information.

I can't find any information on DirectX at the moment but will search more on it when I have time.

I am looking into the license surrounding SDL and it looks like as long as I haven't modified the library and have displayed that I am using SDL, and have released the source code to my application then it is okay.
Alternatively if I didn't want to provide the source code I would have to dynamically link to SDL.
At least that is what I am understanding from : http://www.libsdl.org/license-lgpl.php
Obviously I am not talking about SDL versions 1.2 and lower.

God I really really hate legal/licensing issues lol.
Thanks for the advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

I have decided against using a creative commons license as in their FAQ under the heading 'Can I use a Creative Commons license for software?' they don't recommend it.

I think I am going to use the GPL for my code.

I just wanted to know if the following wording sounded okay.

'This software is provided free of charge for non commercial use and is licensed under the GPLv3'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

Even i hear about the Creative Commons License (cc-by-nc-sa) but i am also finding the solution on it.when i get perfect idea i let you know with detail information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:00 AM

View Postavadhesh666, on 18 August 2010 - 05:36 AM, said:

Even i hear about the Creative Commons License (cc-by-nc-sa) but i am also finding the solution on it.when i get perfect idea i let you know with detail information.

You shouldn't use a Creative Commons License for software. The Creative Commons FAQ recommends that you don't use it :
http://wiki.creative...for_software.3F
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1