C# E-books

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 3913 Views - Last Post: 25 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

C# E-books

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Dose anyone have any (FREE) C# E-books that I can DOWNLOAD and look at even offline? Because I don't think I know this language that well, Yes I do have an Ipod touch and I would like to download it on there aswell can anyone help?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# E-books

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# E-books

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Take a look at the C# Tutorials Section. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I'm reading O' Reilly's Programming in C# now. It's quite good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:40 PM

View Postsystemerror, on 06 August 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

Dose anyone have any (FREE) C# E-books that I can DOWNLOAD and look at even offline? Because I don't think I know this language that well, Yes I do have an Ipod touch and I would like to download it on there aswell can anyone help?

Yeh but im looking for a book not a cheat sheet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:35 AM

There aren't that many free e-books available out there for C#, but I would recommend starting with this Wikibooks publication and some available Google Books titles (although those are far from being completely available online). You should understand that writing a decent C# guide takes a lot of time and effort, so there is little interest for the author to give that out for free. There are exceptions, but generally if you want free online educational content, you'll have to settle with tutorials and articles.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

I also see some C# fans here write tutorials too. Tutorials are a good way to supplement a book with information more relevant to what you want C# to do for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:13 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 08 August 2010 - 03:29 PM, said:

I also see some C# fans here write tutorials too. Tutorials are a good way to supplement a book with information more relevant to what you want C# to do for you.

Yeh but, you wont learn it properly
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Oh hoh, what a bold statement there. "The proper way to program". I've heard that one many times.. You're assuming the authors of these things don't know C# properly eh? So people like PsychoCoder don't know the proper way of using C#?

With your kind of attitude, I'm not sure you will get very far. You can't download C# skills on a silver platter. If you want free, sometimes you have to do a thing called 'research'. The reason this website exists in the first place is to provide you free help and tutorials, I suggest you start looking through what we have here on Dream In Code.

I'm not sure you can find a good C# programming tome for free.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 09 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

View Postsystemerror, on 09 August 2010 - 10:13 AM, said:

Well there you go. In case you want to learn it 'properly' (although there is a very blurry line defining what's proper and what's not for different developers), you got to invest in the educational process. Therefore, the books are the investment and it will cost you at the beginning to eventually get that cost back later through your knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

View Postsystemerror, on 09 August 2010 - 05:13 AM, said:

Completely untrue. We do get some hobbyists and newbies writing tutorials, but we also get a lot of Experts and Professionals writing tutorials. Regardless of the tutorial, I'm sure you will take away something helpful and new. And most of the tutorials utilize good programming practices in general and specific to C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 Guest_Chuck Palumbo*

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

but we also get a lot of Experts and Professionals writing tutorials.

Which experts are you talking about - the real ones, who have made contributions to their field through research, or shown their knowledge through academic contributions to the public and hold a well-recognized position? Or the kiddies like you who got a "Good Job!" sticker for helping other kiddies with "';' expected", "javac command not found", and "Invalid method declaration" errors? Because I think OP wants to learn from the former kind.

For example, I wanted to learn more about path compression in disjoint sets, specifically its analysis with regard to makeset operation, because my program used those quite extensively. I'd never listen to anything you have to say on this topic, even though you list yourself as expert on data structures. Why? Because you're the expert of the latter kind and I want to learn from somebody who actually knows something.

By the way, this reminds of the Duffy from Scary Movie - a retard pretend-sheriff with a golden star sticker that he made.
Was This Post Helpful? -1

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

How do you know if he doesn't know something? Only idiots and the Dutch make assumptions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:37 PM

Which experts are you talking about - the real ones

Well the one I referenced actually knows their stuff and is worth something to the industry. People give him money to do what he does and he actually does it well. If he isn't good enough for you, then I don't know who really would be.

Why? Because you're the expert of the latter kind and I want to learn from somebody who actually knows something.

Oh sorry we couldn't have the late Albert Einstein magically appear and bestow his knowledge of physics. I think you've insulted almost every single person on this website who has written articles. Have fun trying to actually learn something and break into the industry with your elitist attitude.

The rest of us will be giving help to those who need it and appreciate it as they themselves strive to become future software industry workers.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 09 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#14 Guest_Chuck Palumbo*

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

My post was directed towards macosxnerd, and wasn't meant to apply to every single person on this website. So no offense to true experts here.

The rest of us will be giving help to those who need it and appreciate it as they themselves strive to become future software industry workers.

As we all should. One need not be an expert to help others. But one needs to be an expert to call himself an expert and suggest his advice over other experts.
Was This Post Helpful? -2

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

macosxnerd is as valuable a member as "true experts". You need to get over this. No one calls themselves an expert and have it mean anything, they are an expert when their community decides they are an expert. When they feel responsible to see in what ways they can help, they are being an expert.

The opening poster was asking for free e-books. If you're looking for those stereotypically thick tomes and textbooks, you would go to a library or a bookstore. Logging to an online programmers' help forum and insulting its members after they told you variations of this will not yield you results. Core's original post is about all you're going to get in the world of free e-books.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 09 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +